Who authorizes the cadets to wear the Blue Berets?

Started by xray328, February 27, 2016, 04:50:16 AM

xray328

Is this something authorized by National HQ?  I think that 39-1, 9.2.3 says that?  But then 9.4.6 says berets are up to the Wing commander.

My thoughts were that if NHQ and the 39-1 authorize it then the Wing CC can't tell them they can't wear it (maybe not?) And 9.4.6 would be more if the Wing CC wanted GTM's to wear a maroon beret within the wing for instance.

On the other hand I was  thinking that maybe the Wing CC can still say what's authorized wear in the Wing?

Thanks in advance!

lordmonar

39-1 says all blue beret grads MAY wear the beret.  The wing CC may authorize the blue beret for other reasons. 

All commanders always reserve the right and authority to dictate uniform of the day.   

It's is pretty clear in 39-1

Maroon berets are absolutly forbidden
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

xray328

Oh ok, I reread 9.4.6...makes sense.

But does the "may" mean that a Wing CC can say "not in my wing"? 

"May" then doesn't mean it's authorized by NHQ end of story? Wing CC's can override the 39-1?

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on February 27, 2016, 05:20:09 AM

"May" then doesn't mean it's authorized by NHQ end of story? Wing CC's can override the 39-1?

May means optional and it's the Wing Commander's call.

Will and Shall mean it's mandatory.

xray328

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on February 27, 2016, 05:29:58 AM
Quote from: xray328 on February 27, 2016, 05:20:09 AM

May means optional and it's the Wing Commander's call.

Will and Shall mean it's mandatory.
May means may unless competent authority says other wise.

A squadron commander or even a ground team leader does not have to ask the Wing Commander if he/she does not want his members wearing the beret.

Unless the wing commander has specifically removed that authority from lower commands.

Like wise....if no one in the chain of command has said otherwise it is completely optional up to the individual.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP