Certificate of Appreciation

Started by 41839j, February 03, 2016, 08:32:21 PM

41839j

Can someone tell me exactly what this is and what it means?  It does not appear to have a corresponding ribbon, yet it is considered a decoration. 

dwb

It's just what the name implies. It's a fancy certificate you can give to members and non-members to show appreciation for their contributions to CAP. No ribbon, no formal award. It's a thank-you card, basically.

almostspaatz

Quote from: dwb on February 03, 2016, 09:04:07 PM
It's just what the name implies. It's a fancy certificate you can give to members and non-members to show appreciation for their contributions to CAP. No ribbon, no formal award. It's a thank-you card, basically.

But it is a FANCY thank-you card.... >:D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: almostspaatz on February 04, 2016, 02:41:39 AM

Our squadron nominates a "Squadron Cadet of the Year" for an unofficial, inside-house award. It comes with a certificate, no ribbon or eServices badge of honor. I don't really know why it's there when we do have CAP awards for such things already. Personally, I think we are just enabling that "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

I was instructed to come up with the following award nominations at the end of the year:
- Squadron Cadet of the Year (not a real CAP award)
- Cadet of the Year (CAP/National)
- AFSA Cadet NCO of the Year
- AFSA Outstanding Squadron Cadet NCO of the Year
- AFA Cadet NCO of the Year
- VFW Cadet NCO of the Year

I was then told that maybe next year we should have Squadron Cadet Officer of the Year, Squadron Cadet NCO of the Year, and Squadron Cadet Airman of the Year awards.
I'm thinking of retiring and moving to Micronesia where nobody can find me...

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 04, 2016, 03:19:32 PM
Quote from: almostspaatz on February 04, 2016, 02:41:39 AM

Our squadron nominates a "Squadron Cadet of the Year" for an unofficial, inside-house award. It comes with a certificate, no ribbon or eServices badge of honor. I don't really know why it's there when we do have CAP awards for such things already. Personally, I think we are just enabling that "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

I was instructed to come up with the following award nominations at the end of the year:
- Squadron Cadet of the Year (not a real CAP award)
- Cadet of the Year (CAP/National)
- AFSA Cadet NCO of the Year
- AFSA Outstanding Squadron Cadet NCO of the Year
- AFA Cadet NCO of the Year
- VFW Cadet NCO of the Year

I was then told that maybe next year we should have Squadron Cadet Officer of the Year, Squadron Cadet NCO of the Year, and Squadron Cadet Airman of the Year awards.
I'm thinking of retiring and moving to Micronesia where nobody can find me...

You forgot the Daughters of the American Revolution Cadet of the Year award!  There isn't a CAP ribbon for it but it is an award that the DAR has.  It is up to your local chapter to decide if they want to participate in the program and the criteria for winning the award.   :)

I do agree there there are already a large number of cadet EOY awards.  In my squadron we have a cadet of the quarter program (using the points system recommended by CAP) but line and executive staff are not considered for this award.  At the end of the year we have a Squadron Cadet of the Year who is chosen from the top 3-4 cadets with the most points.  Below is the general guidelines we use for the other awards:

• The VFW NCO is given to one our top NCO regardless of duty position.  Since it can only be awarded once, it may not go to the best cadet that year.
  • The VFW Officer is given to one of the top officers regardless of duty position. Since it can only be awarded once, it may not go to the best cadet that year.
  • The AFA award is given to the cadet we are submitting for Cadet of the Year or one the best cadets that year if we aren't submitting a COY candidate
  • The AFSA (both) award is given to one of our top NCO's regardless of duty position

So generally speaking we give out seven EOY awards to a maximum of 5 cadets (both NCO and Officer).  I don't think that is too much and a single cadet can win more than one.  We have about 35-40 active cadets so no more than 14% get an award.  I think that is an acceptable percentage.

Depending on the size of your squadron, creating a Squadron Cadet of the Year may not be a bad idea since there isn't an award specifically for them.  As for the NCO and Officer, there are already plenty of EOY awards in my opinion.

Airplane girl

My former squadron definitely had a "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. There were about 8 active cadets (That's an optimistic average, and some of them only came to meetings once every few months).

Anyway, the squadron gave out at least 3 of those awards (Both of the VFW awards and at least one of the AFA ones).

The kind of funny/sad part was when I got the VFW NCO award. I was the only active C/NCO in the squadron at the time. There were two more on the roster, but they hadn't been to meetings in forever. And I had gotten my Wright Brothers Award about one and a half months earlier.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Airplane girl on February 04, 2016, 06:18:13 PM
My former squadron definitely had a "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. There were about 8 active cadets (That's an optimistic average, and some of them only came to meetings once every few months).

Anyway, the squadron gave out at least 3 of those awards (Both of the VFW awards and at least one of the AFA ones).

The kind of funny/sad part was when I got the VFW NCO award. I was the only active C/NCO in the squadron at the time. There were two more on the roster, but they hadn't been to meetings in forever. And I had gotten my Wright Brothers Award about one and a half months earlier.

I'm finding that we're becoming so concerned about hurting Cadet Snowflake's feelings and making him feel "not good enough," and subsequently depressed, and subsequently either murderous or suicidal.

I had a cadet of significance ask me who my nominations were for the EOY awards, and, fair enough, he was in a position that is reasonable to know my selections. I told him who I thought the COTY should be, and I explained to him why I didn't select him, even though he felt that he had a greater workload. I said I don't feel he was appropriate for the position he was in and that the other cadet was better suited in his own duty position, and while that it might not be seen as fair, I have to judge you based on the ability of you to perform your assigned role that you volunteered for (before assuming my role as CDC, cadet staff volunteered for a role and were selected if nobody else volunteered...yeah, that's changed). He said he appreciated the honesty and agreed, and that it wasn't a big deal. I think he took it personal, even though he tried not to act like it, and I've seen a grudge between him and the other cadet.

But there's a point where everyone is equal under the way they get reviewed but they cannot all be reviewed under the same rubric due to the differences in their assignments. At some point, you need to make your selections for best candidates and move on. Not everyone can be on the pedestal. Mandating that "well, we have to award it to someone" means that I have to lower my standards to make a selection, and it puts a really bad taste in my mouth and sets a lower bar for those who wish to earn that recognition in the future.

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 04, 2016, 06:36:30 PM
Mandating that "well, we have to award it to someone" means that I have to lower my standards to make a selection, and it puts a really bad taste in my mouth and sets a lower bar for those who wish to earn that recognition in the future.

Couldn't agree more.  There have been years when we didn't award all of the available awards because there was not someone worthy in the eyes of the commander and staff.  Just because there are available awards does not mean that you have to give them out.

Chappie

While I understand and can sympathize with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality concerns....my concern is this:  CAP at its core is a VOLUNTEER organization.   We are comprised of individuals from 12 to ???? -- who give of their time, talent, money (and with the support of their families -- I know that I could not accomplish what I do if it wasn't for a long-suffering spouse) to this organization.  The recognition that we give/they receive -- in the words of one of the wise Commanders I had the privilege of serving with more than once stated -- is their "paycheck".  Those in leadership should look for ways to acknowledge "MEANINGFUL" contributions accordingly and present recognition for an individual's service be it from an award, certificate or plaque that is unit based or an official Certificate or Service Award from CAP.  I have witnessed many long-standing members who have performed great service and yet to receive as much as a ComCom or be nominated for a wing OTY award.  That should not be. A little recognition can go a long way in both recruiting and retention.  When I have taught "The Heart of a Volunteer" course for CLC, I make sure that those in attendance are familiar with the CAPP 39-3 ("Awards Made Easy") and the process of submitting of awards (When I was a Region Chaplain, I made sure that the Wing Chaplains were familiar with this as well).    Note the word, "meaningful"...if I know that I busted my butt on a particular project that made a difference and receive some form of recognition --- be it a physical pat on the back and an appreciative word or something that hangs on the proverbial "love me" wall..,it means something.  On the other hand, if I received something more than a word of appreciation but a certificate or piece of cloth/hardware for just doing my assigned job/showing up, I am not less grateful for the recognition (Disclaimer: As a Region Chaplain, I made sure that all the staff received some form of recognition for their contribution to the successful conduct of the event -- this ranged from a Certificate of Appreciation <PRC Chaplain Corps creation> to a Meritorious...depending on the level of responsibility shouldered.  While they all had assigned jobs in their local squadron or Wing, this was something above and beyond that they devoted their efforts to). 

On another note....when presenting any award...make it meaningful - in front of their peers when a little bit of class/fanfare.   I will never forget the first ComCom I received.   The Squadron Commander handed me a manila envelope that was addressed from Wing.  On the way out the door from the meeting, he handed it to me and said: "Oh, this is for you."    I had no clue what it was or what it was for.   A few weeks later, another Senior Member dropped by my office and saw that I had it sitting on the corner of my desk.  He wanted to know why it was on the desk.  I told him that I hadn't had time to file it away.   He was floored and told me that it was not be filed away but to be framed on the wall since it was the 6th highest award given in CAP for one's contributions to the organization.   I didn't realize that because it wasn't presented in that fashion. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

dwb

Quote from: kwe1009 on February 04, 2016, 09:13:28 PM
Mandating that "well, we have to award it to someone" means that I have to lower my standards to make a selection, and it puts a really bad taste in my mouth and sets a lower bar for those who wish to earn that recognition in the future.

Couldn't agree more.  There have been years when we didn't award all of the available awards because there was not someone worthy in the eyes of the commander and staff.  Just because there are available awards does not mean that you have to give them out.

My experience in recent years has been the opposite. We have so many awesome people, and they never get written up for awards because their commanders are lazy, or (more likely) they forget and they miss the deadline. It's like pulling teeth getting people to recognize their high performers.

Part of the problem (I think) is the timeframe. Awards are due to Wing by January 15th. Which means the packages need to be prepared right around the time everybody takes 2-3 weeks off of CAP for the holidays. I wonder if pushing that deadline back even two weeks might improve response. Make Jan 31st, Feb 28th, March 31st as the deadlines to send to Wing, Region, and National accordingly.

Garibaldi

I'm sick to death of the "everyone gets a medal" mentality. It sets people up for failure down the road and gives them a sense of entitlement. If we had such a plan, everyone would be given a Spaatz award and Cadet Colonel upon signing papers. There would be no accountability, no striving for excellence. It would be total garbage.

It may work for a 5 year old T-ball team, but anything beyond that is meaningless.

It lulls people into a sense that they can get anything they want just by showing up (see the affluenza teen).

Not having standards and goals is idiotic. I will refuse to nominate someone for an award if they do not meet ALL the criteria, and if no one meets the criteria, then the award gets put back in the files for another year. I also will refuse to sign promotion papers for someone who has not demonstrated they can handle the rank they feel they are entitled to. I absolutely will retain a chief master sergeant if I, and my peers, feel he does not demonstrate maturity, responsibility, and the ability to follow the rules. Especially if this cadet has been counseled repeatedly about duty, performance and dotting all I's and crossing all T's and still cannot fathom why we won't give him/her anything.

Sorry, went off topic.

Recognizing hard work and dedication yes. Rewarding someone who just shows up with their hand out no.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Here in California Wing, we just gave a Certificate of Appreciation to the Army National Guard Sergeant First Class who got us the use of "his" National Guard Armory so we could have an Cadet NCO School.  This is the type of stuff the Certificate was designed for.

jdh

Quote from: Chappie on February 04, 2016, 09:41:13 PM

On another note....when presenting any award...make it meaningful - in front of their peers when a little bit of class/fanfare.   I will never forget the first ComCom I received.   The Squadron Commander handed me a manila envelope that was addressed from Wing.  On the way out the door from the meeting, he handed it to me and said: "Oh, this is for you."    I had no clue what it was or what it was for.   A few weeks later, another Senior Member dropped by my office and saw that I had it sitting on the corner of my desk.  He wanted to know why it was on the desk.  I told him that I hadn't had time to file it away.   He was floored and told me that it was not be filed away but to be framed on the wall since it was the 6th highest award given in CAP for one's contributions to the organization.   I didn't realize that because it wasn't presented in that fashion.

For the most part I agree with this as it is a morale booster and can lead to motivating others. But when it comes to awards that I receive I prefer the way yours was handed to you. Even while in the military I preferred when it seemed more like a second thought, I'm not big on the formal presentation when I am receiving an award or promotion but I do understand the effect they have on others and will make an honest effort to make the presentation meaningful when presenting awards to others.

kwe1009

Quote from: dwb on February 04, 2016, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on February 04, 2016, 09:13:28 PM

My experience in recent years has been the opposite. We have so many awesome people, and they never get written up for awards because their commanders are lazy, or (more likely) they forget and they miss the deadline. It's like pulling teeth getting people to recognize their high performers.

Part of the problem (I think) is the timeframe. Awards are due to Wing by January 15th. Which means the packages need to be prepared right around the time everybody takes 2-3 weeks off of CAP for the holidays. I wonder if pushing that deadline back even two weeks might improve response. Make Jan 31st, Feb 28th, March 31st as the deadlines to send to Wing, Region, and National accordingly.

The awards may be due to Wing by 15 Jan but that doesn't mean you can't do it sooner.  None of these cadets awards require Wing or Group approval either.  I see many squadrons have these awards done and presented at their December banquet.  In my Wing we actually had to have EOY awards to the Wing by mid-November this year and I believe Maryland was even earlier.  Since there are very few meetings and CAP activities between mid-November and the end of the year, it is not that big of a deal to write up the awards before the end of the year to me.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on February 05, 2016, 02:42:18 AM
Here in California Wing, we just gave a Certificate of Appreciation to the Army National Guard Sergeant First Class who got us the use of "his" National Guard Armory so we could have an Cadet NCO School.  This is the type of stuff the Certificate was designed for.

Exactly. It's for those "ambush" type situations that people don't expect. They do a lot for us, we say thanks, and to them that's the end of it. Then they get invited to a meeting or party and BAM! Certificate of Appreciation.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 04, 2016, 03:19:32 PMI'm thinking of retiring and moving to Micronesia where nobody can find me...

I'm already out here in Micronesia (Kwajalein, Marshall Islands)... :) ;) :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 05, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 04, 2016, 03:19:32 PMI'm thinking of retiring and moving to Micronesia where nobody can find me...

I'm already out here in Micronesia (Kwajalein, Marshall Islands)... :) ;) :D

I originally typed "Kwaj" but then I remembered someone on here was stationed there and it disrupts the whole plan on not being able to find me.