Main Menu

Encampment Tips

Started by alanacranford, February 03, 2016, 12:41:35 AM

alanacranford

Anyone have encampment tips for cadets going into basic encampment? (uniform, packing list, study materials, etc.)

Гугл переводчик

Refer to the link that was posted on your other topic.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Tim Day

Quote from: alanacranford on February 03, 2016, 12:41:35 AM
Anyone have encampment tips for cadets going into basic encampment? (uniform, packing list, study materials, etc.)

This varies from encampment to encampment. In Virginia Wing, we email a detailed list as part of your welcome letter. If you follow that list, you'll be all set.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

CAPDCCMOM

Follow the packing list as if it is a Sacred Text, because it is! If it's on the list BRING IT! If it's not on the list, LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!

Make sure you are squared away on Customs and Courtesies. Above all have fun and good luck!

PHall

Make sure your shoes and boots are well broken in before you arrive at encampment.
Otherwise you're in for a week of pain and you don't want to do that.

jeders

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 03, 2016, 04:33:51 PM
Follow the packing list as if it is a Sacred Text, because it is! If it's on the list BRING IT! If it's not on the list, LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!

Just to add a general caveat to this, use common sense as well. If you're going to a winter encampment and sweats/cold weather gear aren't on the list, then contact the encampment staff to see if you need to bring cold weather gear or if it will be provided.

We recently had a wing level training event (not encampment) where PT gear, appropriate sleep wear, and cold weather gear was not on the packing list (it was fairly poorly done). We had cadets show up without any PT gear, sleep wear, or cold weather gear which resulted in a lot of running around by the senior staff trying to get needs met. Fortunately, others showed up with extras of most of the above because they had been to previous activities and had used common sense.

The take away being, yes you want to follow the encampment packing list which is refined over the course of multiple activities; but if there is a glaring omission/error, follow up with someone just in case.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

Quote from: jeders on February 03, 2016, 05:32:07 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 03, 2016, 04:33:51 PM

Just to add a general caveat to this, use common sense as well. If you're going to a winter encampment and sweats/cold weather gear aren't on the list, then contact the encampment staff to see if you need to bring cold weather gear or if it will be provided.

We recently had a wing level training event (not encampment) where PT gear, appropriate sleep wear, and cold weather gear was not on the packing list (it was fairly poorly done). We had cadets show up without any PT gear, sleep wear, or cold weather gear which resulted in a lot of running around by the senior staff trying to get needs met. Fortunately, others showed up with extras of most of the above because they had been to previous activities and had used common sense.

The take away being, yes you want to follow the encampment packing list which is refined over the course of multiple activities; but if there is a glaring omission/error, follow up with someone just in case.

Follow up means with the Encampment POC, not your Squadron people.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Chica

You need to get your sleep while you still can!

abdsp51

Quote from: Chica on May 10, 2016, 01:44:30 PM
You need to get your sleep while you still can!

Cadets are alloted adequate sleep as part of the curriculum that went into place officially last year.  Unless cadets are choosing to stay up then this is not an issue.

Chica

It is a human thing to stay up on your first basic night. I did because I was excited. I was so excited I couldn't sleep! That is just me though. If you're a spitfire like me, just get some sleep. :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chica on May 10, 2016, 07:39:12 PM
It is a human thing to stay up on your first basic night. I did because I was excited. I was so excited I couldn't sleep! That is just me though. If you're a spitfire like me, just get some sleep. :)

It is, and isn't. Everyone is different, and getting sleep in before the event will have zero impact on sleepless nights at the event.

thebeggerpie

Something I learned real fast is don't ever say "But at my Squadron we do it X way!"

Not smart at all, lol.

lordmonar

Quote from: thebeggerpie on May 11, 2016, 02:22:48 AM
Something I learned real fast is don't ever say "But at my Squadron we do it X way!"

Not smart at all, lol.
Why not?

I spend a lot of time after encampment retraining my cadets who all the time say "But at encampment we do it Y way".

How about if X and Y don't seem to match.....you look in the bloody regulation and make sure which way is correct.
[/rant]
Sorry to dump on you.....but like I said.....just because they do it an encampment....does not mean it is right.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2016, 02:40:51 AM

Not smart at all, lol.
Why not?

I spend a lot of time after encampment retraining my cadets who all the time say "But at encampment we do it Y way".

How about if X and Y don't seem to match.....you look in the bloody regulation and make sure which way is correct.
[/rant]
Sorry to dump on you.....but like I said.....just because they do it an encampment....does not mean it is right.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Майор Хаткевич

Not smart at all, lol.
Why not?

[/rant]

Except...it should be.

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 11, 2016, 04:17:20 AM

Not smart at all, lol.
Why not?

[/rant]

Except...it should be.

Your right way may differ from my right way. And we will both swear that we're following the regs too!

Eclipse

If the encampment way doesn't match the regs, it should be brought to the attention of the Wing DCP
to decide where the problem is, and recommend to the Wing CC somebody gets fixed.

Encampments are supposed to model the program, if they aren't, they are broken.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on May 11, 2016, 04:20:04 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 11, 2016, 04:17:20 AM

Not smart at all, lol.
Why not?

[/rant]

Except...it should be.

Your right way may differ from my right way. And we will both swear that we're following the regs too!

If there's an issue with the "encampment way", then get involved, ask for guidance from above. That's the whole purpose of encampments...

stitchmom

If they send you a link to the cadet handbook try to memorize the information it it.  :)
If you can afford it, pack an extra (pump) bug spray and moleskin pack because some members of your flight may need it.
You only need a single subject notebook even if it says a 5 subject one!
Walmart sells a twin size gray fleece blanket for around $5.
Sometimes Michael's craft store sells t-shirts for $2 or you can use a 40% coupon.
Make sure your boots fit and are broken in. If they are the wrong size go right now to your commander.
If you have a second set of insignia you can keep a set on each BDU.
If you need something on your packing list or it reads like a foreign language to your parents, go to your commander ASAP! They may have what you need or can get it.
Make sure you pack a ruler.
If you are getting a scholarship for uniforms to Vanguard and are unsure about size, call and talk to the reps. They have a lot of product knowledge and can size you if you provide measurements.
Have Fun!  :)

Eclipse

^^^^ Remember, not all encampments are alike, have the same activities or equipment lists, or
even allowances.

Your second 1/2 of tips are fine, but the first 1/2 are only appropriate for specific encampments
and would not be for others.

"That Others May Zoom"