Question about the short-sleeve shirt for Senior Members

Started by cmoore, May 05, 2005, 06:48:05 PM

TankerT

OK.

Back to CAPM 39-1.

I think this is an area where the actual instructions are not in black and white.  (Some may disagree.) 

In fact, if you actually review how everything is laid out between descriptions and charts, it could be interpreted as implied that you are wearing the short-sleeve shirt "uniform" at the same time as the service dress uniform.  If you note how the descriptions...

The Service Dress Uniform is noted as that... the Service Dress Uniform.  However, the short-sleeve shirt isn't listed as the short-sleeve shirt UNIFORM... just the short-sleeve shirt.  And, if you read the items that you are to wear with the Service Dress Uniform in table 2-1... you may the shirt (short-sleeve). 

In fact, the way that that table clarifies the wear of the tie for the shirt (short-sleeve), you could interpret that as an additional clarification to the uniform known as: Men's Short-sleeve Shirt, implying a clarification when that uniform is worn as part of the Service Dress Uniform. 

However, one of the first paragraphs states that the Short-sleeve Shirt is a uniform itself.  And, a cadet picture also shows no collar insignia for an enlisted grade cadet.

So, to answer your question... I think we have a definite maybe. 

I really believe that there really is enough ammunition to defend either position.  My suggestion?  Wear the cardigan sweater.

I can't wait to see what NHQ's response to this is.  It will be interesting.  Sometimes the intent of the regulation isn't always clear in the way it is written.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Matt

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

cmoore

It turns out that in my case it's not an issue anyway.  In my
squadron any senior wearing anything other than the golf
shirt is "over dressed."  I don't think I'll ever have need of
a service jacket.

Chris Moore, 2Lt CAP
Communications Officer
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Eclipse

Don't accept a slacker attitude!  RAISE THE BAR!, especially in a composite squadron it hugely important to look the part.

If you've got any "kids vs. seam testers" issues in your unit at all, the uniforms
are a big part of that.

And if you expect to have any real success in CAP you'll be attending any number of activities outside your local unit wear uniform WILL be important.

Show 'em there's a new sheriff in town!

"That Others May Zoom"

thefischNX01

I agree with Eclipse.  In my squadron, all the senior members also wear the Golf Shirt >:(, however whenever the cadets wear their blues, I show up in full service dress with a coat and service cap.  As a general rule, I always wear the same uniform the cadets wear.  I find it helps me gain their respect, which is oh-so very important.  In addition, I found that the other seniors look on me as an equal, rather than the "new guy". 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

PWK-GT

Quote from: thefischNX01 on January 01, 2006, 09:27:00 PM
  As a general rule, I always wear the same uniform the cadets wear. 
I agree with this line of thinking as well. In a Composite unit I believe it sets the tone of what is expected of the Cadets. While there are legitimate reasons one chooses to wear the 'golf shirt', it is hard to imagine a cadet wanting to emulate that look. I personally choose not to own the 'golf shirt' and the likes .......keeps me from giving in to the temptation to pick the 'quickie' uniform ;). I choose blues and BDU's, because they require more effort to wear correctly. Just a personal choice, but it DOES get more out of the cadets..I feel.
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

Quote from: RvrPk01 on January 02, 2006, 04:39:01 AM
Quote from: thefischNX01 on January 01, 2006, 09:27:00 PM
I choose blues and BDU's, because they require more effort to wear correctly. Just a personal choice, but it DOES get more out of the cadets.

The extra time it takes to config these combos puts you in the proper frame of mind - rules, regs, etc. It also shows yo are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't get me wrong, on occasion I wear the golf shirt or the whites - as a CC I want my members to see me in all the different styles, but for cadet meeting nights I match what they are wearing. Besides, a sweater over a blouse is just as simple as the golf shirt.

When I came on board there was a lot of grumbling about "I don't have time to change after work, etc..." as an excuse for no uniform.  BAH!

Change in the head on the way out, and maybe the conversations might spur some recruiting.  Imagine actually being PROUD of the organization?!?!?!?!

"That Others May Zoom"