NCO / Officer Positions at Encampment

Started by sergeant_park, December 14, 2015, 06:09:32 PM

sergeant_park

Hello, I'm an NJWG cadet who's trying to do every single encampment line staff position possible. So far, I've been a Flight Sergeant, and my cadets won Honor Flight of the Encampment. The positions that I want to get before I complete the cadet program are:

• Flight Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Command Chief (New Jersey Basic does this. its the head NCO of the encampment)
  • Flight Commander
  • Squadron Commander

Anyway, to get to the point, I'm nearing the end of being an NCO, and to get my Spaatz by my goal, I would have to promote every 8 weeks. This Summer, I want to do, or at least try for, Command Chief and First Sergeant, but no applications for NJ or other nearby wings (besides PA) are out yet. When they do come out, can I apply for NCO positions as a Cadet Officer or should I stay a C/CMSgt 6 more months? Thank you
Michael J Park, C/CMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

I think you should ignore your goal of holding every line position in encampment.

Instead concentrate on progression in the cadet program and look at doing some NCSAs instead of encampment.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sergeant_park

lordmonar,

As well as being staff during encampments, I'm trying to do as many CAP activities as I can, such as Space Familiarization Course and PJOC NM (as soon as the freaking website gets online).
Michael J Park, C/CMSgt, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: sergeant_park on December 14, 2015, 06:09:32 PM
Hello, I'm an NJWG cadet who's trying to do every single encampment line staff position possible. So far, I've been a Flight Sergeant, and my cadets won Honor Flight of the Encampment. The positions that I want to get before I complete the cadet program are:

• Flight Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Command Chief (New Jersey Basic does this. its the head NCO of the encampment)
  • Flight Commander
  • Squadron Commander

Anyway, to get to the point, I'm nearing the end of being an NCO, and to get my Spaatz by my goal, I would have to promote every 8 weeks. This Summer, I want to do, or at least try for, Command Chief and First Sergeant, but no applications for NJ or other nearby wings (besides PA) are out yet. When they do come out, can I apply for NCO positions as a Cadet Officer or should I stay a C/CMSgt 6 more months? Thank you

That's dependent on the wing hosting the encampment.

We can't answer for you what you should do as far as staffing positions you want to staff. If you want to staff an NCO position, stay an NCO. If you want to staff an officer position, earn an officer grade. It's your career path. Make the most of it and do what needs to be done to accomplish your goals. Realize that you might not be able to do everything.

MSG Mac

If you go on to First Sgt and Encampment Chief (there is no grade of Command Chief in the Cadet Program) you will be delaying your Mitchell Award by two years. This is a violation of the Cadet Oath which states "I will advance myself in the cadet program" .
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 14, 2015, 07:04:59 PM
If you go on to First Sgt and Encampment Chief (there is no grade of Command Chief in the Cadet Program) you will be delaying your Mitchell Award by two years. This is a violation of the Cadet Oath which states "I will advance myself in the cadet program" .

That's subjective. Advancement can be considered advancing through the ranks/grades or duty positions. I, personally, wouldn't see an issue with someone who wants to excel and hold certain duty positions, but they need to understand how this plays into their career progression for officership. I think it really depends on how the cadet perceives it and how they present this during a board.

As for Command Chief, that's not a grade; it's a duty position in that wing tailored to the needs of the cadet program, specifically at an encampment.

kirbahashi

Rarely, if ever, would a cadet NCO position be filled by a cadet officer.  In fact it should not happen.  So...  if you are looking for advice, cross Command Chief off the list and move on. 

Why do I suggest that? 

Most everyone I have spoke with (about 7 or so cadets AND my own experience) have told me their favorite position held was that as a flight sergeant or flight commander.  It is literally where the rubber meets the road when it comes to leadership.  Not saying you would not be able to leave an impression on people as a CCM.  I am just in that segment of society that believes you already had the best job, and it sounds like you knocked it out of the park.  Now go back to encampment!  Seriously.  There are other positions out there in encampment to serve in.  And do not look down your nose at support positions.  An army marches on its stomach.  Work an encampment in a support position and you will gain a better impression of everything it takes to make encampments successful.

And yes, NCSA's are important too.  They are a lot of fun, and I wish I had gone as a cadet.  I was selected, but money was an issue.  Somewhere I hear a violin playing.

Regardless.  Keep at it and do what you think is right and what you want to do.  But remember, it is not always about you.  Think of those you'd be serving.
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

THRAWN

• Flight Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Flight Commander
  • Squadron Commander

Zounds. Why? Take lordmonar's advice. Look at this post, and this goal and ask "How will this benefit me in my long term goal? How will this help me progress in the CP? How will this benefit the overall CP of my wing?" Make a pro/con list. You're going to find quickly find that your energy would be better off elsewhere.

Regards to Raritan Valley....I knew Colonel Bruno well...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Tim Day

• Flight Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Flight Commander
  • Squadron Commander

Concur with Lordmonar. Also, don't overlook "support" cadre positions, which can teach you a different aspect of leadership from "line" as well as giving you insight into how encampment runs.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

foo

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 14, 2015, 07:09:16 PM

That's subjective. Advancement can be considered advancing through the ranks/grades or duty positions. I, personally, wouldn't see an issue with someone who wants to excel and hold certain duty positions, but they need to understand how this plays into their career progression for officership. I think it really depends on how the cadet perceives it and how they present this during a board.

As for Command Chief, that's not a grade; it's a duty position in that wing tailored to the needs of the cadet program, specifically at an encampment.

Incorrect. Cadet advancement is clearly defined in 52-16 (Chapter 5) in terms of achievements and promotions, and nowhere are duty positions discussed in that context prior to Phase III. IMO adult CP leaders should not counsel cadets to delay pursuit of achievements for the sake of an annual encampment staff position, unless it maybe serves to get the cadet to a level of experience and maturity they don't yet have to be qualified for their next achievement. And even that would be a stretch, since they should be getting those opportunities at the squadron level in the leadership laboratory.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: neummy on December 15, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 14, 2015, 07:09:16 PM

Incorrect. Cadet advancement is clearly defined in 52-16 (Chapter 5) in terms of achievements and promotions, and nowhere are duty positions discussed in that context prior to Phase III. IMO adult CP leaders should not counsel cadets to delay pursuit of achievements for the sake of an annual encampment staff position, unless it maybe serves to get the cadet to a level of experience and maturity they don't yet have to be qualified for their next achievement. And even that would be a stretch, since they should be getting those opportunities at the squadron level in the leadership laboratory.

I agree, especially in regard to getting that experience and maturity. Depending on unit size, some cadets may not be able to demonstrate their leadership in a duty position at the squadron, aside from the ability to mentor and assist in class instructions. Sometimes, encampment is the best opportunity for a cadet in that case to be put into a position of major responsibility and gain that experience. If they don't have opportunities to gain that experience and maturity at the squadron, they may need to hold back on promoting until they can get it elsewhere.

However, I do think it's extremely important for Cadet Park here to realize that goal setting should not be done independently. It's good to have an idea of what you want to accomplish, but you should take this to your cadet leadership and subsequently your cadet programs staff so that they can help provide guidance to accomplish this. You may be holding yourself back in circumstances that aren't necessary. If you really want feedback, ask if you can sit down and have a counseling session with the officers and get a Form 50 with a copy for yourself to home and reflect on.