2015 Winter Encampments - Poverty-Stricken Cadet Needs Help

Started by winnipegbarley, November 03, 2015, 05:03:54 AM

winnipegbarley

I'm currently trying to find a way to attend a winter encampment (as a student), and I'm on an absolutely minuscule budget. Keeping all expenses under $350 is the goal, so I'm willing to go to moderate lengths of cheapskatery.

At first, I thought I'd be able to fly out to one, but airline prices obviously destroy the budget. I'm located in Danville, VA, so that really only leaves one viable option if I'm going to drive: KYWG. My only problem is that there's absolutely no information about a KYWG winter encampment in 2015 anywhere online. The only information about it is on this page that lists the winter encampments, and it's the only one that doesn't have a link.

If anyone has information on the KYWG winter encampment, I'd be grateful for your help.

Aside from that, any suggestions on cost-cutting would be extremely helpful. I have most of what is on the general encampment packing list, but I will probably end up spending around $100 on the bits and bobs that I'm missing. My family is certifiably broke, so I'm planning to put in a CEAP application when they're open, but I'm not really counting on having it accepted since I'm going out-of-state.

If anyone is driving to a winter encampment, within 200 miles or so of Danville, and willing to carpool, that would be wonderful. I can pitch in the remainder of my budget for gas money and help out with anything else if needed. Just drop me a PM.

To clarify, the reason I'm so eager to go to a winter encampment is that I'm hoping to attend an NCSA over next summer. At the moment, I'm being homeschooled, and I won't be back in school until September next year. So, I'm trying to fill my free time with ES training and resume-building sort of things.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

MSG Mac

Call KYWG for the information. The Wing HQ contact number is in the  CAP-USAF Directory which can be found in E-Services ( On the bottom of the page).
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NC Hokie

Talk to your local veterans groups (American Legion, VFW, etc.) and see if they would be willing to help with your expenses.  They would probably be more likely to help with big ticket items such as the registration fee and transportation costs, leaving you to deal with the packing list and other small expenses.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JC004

Why don't you post a list of supplies you're missing?  Some people might have extra items. 

kwe1009

Have you applied for the Cadet Encampment Assistance Program?  Do that and see what they can do for you.

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.Events.Web/Modules/CEAP.aspx

kirbahashi

Quote from: winnipegbarley on November 03, 2015, 05:03:54 AM
Aside from that, any suggestions on cost-cutting would be extremely helpful. I have most of what is on the general encampment packing list, but I will probably end up spending around $100 on the bits and bobs that I'm missing. My family is certifiably broke, so I'm planning to put in a CEAP application when they're open, but I'm not really counting on having it accepted since I'm going out-of-state.

Don't think like that.  CEAP can be approved for you to go out of state.  Applications (as you probably know) opened 1 Nov.  I know several people who went out of state last year with CEAP.  Don't stress that.

If anyone is driving to a winter encampment, within 200 miles or so of Danville, and willing to carpool, that would be wonderful. I can pitch in the remainder of my budget for gas money and help out with anything else if needed. Just drop me a PM.

This is a great idea.  Once you talk to people in KYWG, find the Admin Officer.  That person can be a wealth of information.  They can tell you if people are coming from near you, or something can be done where everyone meets in one location enroute.

To clarify, the reason I'm so eager to go to a winter encampment is that I'm hoping to attend an NCSA over next summer. At the moment, I'm being homeschooled, and I won't be back in school until September next year. So, I'm trying to fill my free time with ES training and resume-building sort of things.

Best of luck!  Remember, there is FLWG.  That seems to have a lot more draw for members in my area.  From my experience at least.  IRT uniforms and whatnot...  The Legion's, VFW's, etc are all great resources.  If your local high school has AFJROTC, ask the lead instructor.  They might have uniforms for your or other items you need.

You got the right idea, keep moving towards that goal!
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Tim Day

CEAP covers encampment cost regardless of state. By the way, VAWG encampment scholarships will also pay for out-of-wing encampments (up to the cost of our encampment for a full scholarship). Recommend you discuss applying for a scholarship with your Deputy Commander for Cadets.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

sarmed1

Trains and Bus are also possible transport options, and are sometimes cheaper than flying but better off than driving (ie cost of gas, breaking down etc etc)  A friend of mine went from PA to Maxwell by greyhound BITD for COS, because he too was also on a tight budget.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

winnipegbarley

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 03, 2015, 07:26:35 AM
Call KYWG for the information. The Wing HQ contact number is in the  CAP-USAF Directory which can be found in E-Services ( On the bottom of the page).
Good idea. Thanks.
Quote from: NC Hokie on November 03, 2015, 12:10:02 PM
Talk to your local veterans groups (American Legion, VFW, etc.) and see if they would be willing to help with your expenses.  They would probably be more likely to help with big ticket items such as the registration fee and transportation costs, leaving you to deal with the packing list and other small expenses.
If it comes to that, I'll give it a shot; but no one in my family is a veteran, so I'd feel like a bum asking a veterans' organization for financial assistance. Are you sure they would be willing to help me out?
Quote from: JC004 on November 03, 2015, 01:49:54 PM
Why don't you post a list of supplies you're missing?  Some people might have extra items. 
Going off this packing list, the only items that would be worth getting second-hand are a light-weight blue jacket and field jacket. Those two are the most expensive, so it would be a big relief if I could find them at a very reduced price or get them from someone who might not need them anymore. If anyone would be willing to pass one down, I'm XS-S in most garments, 14.5 in my blues shirt. Thank you for the idea.
Quote from: kwe1009 on November 03, 2015, 04:50:01 PM
Have you applied for the Cadet Encampment Assistance Program?  Do that and see what they can do for you.

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.Events.Web/Modules/CEAP.aspx
Yes, I'm going to put in one tomorrow I put one in just a couple seconds ago. Hopefully they'll accept mine. Fingers crossed.
Quote from: kirbahashi on November 03, 2015, 04:56:18 PM

Don't think like that.  CEAP can be approved for you to go out of state.  Applications (as you probably know) opened 1 Nov.  I know several people who went out of state last year with CEAP.  Don't stress that.

This is a great idea.  Once you talk to people in KYWG, find the Admin Officer.  That person can be a wealth of information.  They can tell you if people are coming from near you, or something can be done where everyone meets in one location enroute.

Best of luck!  Remember, there is FLWG.  That seems to have a lot more draw for members in my area.  From my experience at least.  IRT uniforms and whatnot...  The Legion's, VFW's, etc are all great resources.  If your local high school has AFJROTC, ask the lead instructor.  They might have uniforms for your or other items you need.

You got the right idea, keep moving towards that goal!
I'll definitely talk to the KYWG contact about possibly coordinating with other cadets. I did check to see if any high schools around me have AFJROTC, but it looks like there aren't any, unfortunately. Thank you the words of encouragement.
Quote from: Tim Day on November 03, 2015, 07:07:40 PM
CEAP covers encampment cost regardless of state. By the way, VAWG encampment scholarships will also pay for out-of-wing encampments (up to the cost of our encampment for a full scholarship). Recommend you discuss applying for a scholarship with your Deputy Commander for Cadets.
I'll definitely ask someone about that at my next meeting. Thank you.
Quote from: sarmed1 on November 03, 2015, 08:20:13 PM
Trains and Bus are also possible transport options, and are sometimes cheaper than flying but better off than driving (ie cost of gas, breaking down etc etc)  A friend of mine went from PA to Maxwell by greyhound BITD for COS, because he too was also on a tight budget.

MK
That didn't come to my mind. I'll have to look into those two options. Thanks!

For now, I'll have to wait and see if my CEAP application is accepted and get some information from KYWG. I'll post an update soon. Thanks for all of your help.

NC Hokie

Quote from: winnipegbarley on November 04, 2015, 03:13:17 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on November 03, 2015, 12:10:02 PM
If it comes to that, I'll give it a shot; but no one in my family is a veteran, so I'd feel like a bum asking a veterans' organization for financial assistance. Are you sure they would be willing to help me out?

I know that a local veterans group helped one of my cadets go to several NCSAs, and another sent me and other members of my NJROTC unit to a summer activity back in the day.  You'll never know what your local groups might do unless you ask.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JC004

Going off this packing list, the only items that would be worth getting second-hand are a light-weight blue jacket and field jacket. Those two are the most expensive, so it would be a big relief if I could find them at a very reduced price or get them from someone who might not need them anymore. If anyone would be willing to pass one down, I'm XS-S in most garments, 14.5 in my blues shirt. Thank you for the idea.

Can you measure yourself for the lightweight blue jacket (or go to a suit shop and ask them to measure you for a jacket), and post that?  Post the men's jacket size.

Someone here might have that size in M-65 field jacket. 

I'll check for a shirt that size, although I don't think I have that size.  Were you not able to get the free cadet uniform?

winnipegbarley

Quote from: JC004 on November 04, 2015, 07:45:21 AM

Can you measure yourself for the lightweight blue jacket (or go to a suit shop and ask them to measure you for a jacket), and post that?  Post the men's jacket size.

Someone here might have that size in M-65 field jacket. 

I'll check for a shirt that size, although I don't think I have that size.  Were you not able to get the free cadet uniform?
Oh, I have my full blues uniform. I was just posting those sizes as a reference because I didn't have my exact measurements on hand.

My jacket size should be a 36R, but I'm sure I could fit a 34R or 34L. A 38R would probably work too.

My measurements are:
35-36" chest
28-30" waist
40" over-arm
5'11" tall
and I weigh about 130

Hope that helps. Thanks for your concern!

winnipegbarley

it's been a week or so, and I still haven't heard back from the KYWG encampment contact. hmph. on the bright side, I picked up an M65 in good condition from a military surplus store for $20 today. couldn't find a LWBJ anywhere though.

xray328

Tim Day

Have you spoken with your Deputy Commander for Cadets yet?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Alaric

Quote from: winnipegbarley on November 10, 2015, 02:10:08 AM
it's been a week or so, and I still haven't heard back from the KYWG encampment contact. hmph. on the bright side, I picked up an M65 in good condition from a military surplus store for $20 today. couldn't find a LWBJ anywhere though.

I called and got a response in about 10 minutes here is the information I received along with emails and phone numbers

, here is the information requested. If you have any questions call me or you can email/call Maj Felts. The cadets will stay in 2 different churches.

KYWG Cadets,

The Cadet Encampment Assistance Program (CEAP) is accepting applications for the winter encampments at this time. As a reminder , the Kentucky Wing is having its first Winter Encampment 28 December 2015-01 January 2016 in Frankfort, KY. This program is first come, first serve. If you are confident that you are attending , and have parental/guardian approval, apply as soon as possible. The application is located in eServices as the 'Cadet Encampment Assistance Program'. Regardless if you apply for this scholarship program, but plan on attending, ALL PARTICIPANTS must submit a CAPF-31, CAPF-32, CAPF-160 CAPF-161 and CAPF-163. Paperwork may not be emailed!!! Your  paperwork must be received by 11 December 2015. Mail your documents to the following address:

Maj Michael C. Felts
6919 Glen Lily Road
Bowling Green, KY 42101-7858

For those who do not meet the eligibility requirements for CEAP, payments must be received by 11 December 2015. The only method for payment is presenting a check to your Squadron Commander for deposit. Squadron Commanders will deposit your payment into the unit account, then transfer the funds to the KYWG Cadet Programs account. The amount for this activity is $160.00.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at (270)991-2574 or feltsmc_usa@yahoo.com.

V/R,
CORY FELTS, Maj, CAP
Director of Cadet Programs
GLR-KY-001/DCP
(270)991-2574

Kay Scheffler, CAP
KY Wing Administrator
(H) 502.564.0661
(C) 502.418.1370

Shaffner

Illinois Wing historically puts on a Spring Encampment that spans two weekends. It has been several years since I was involved there, but have seen posts that they were still occurring.  That was always an option for those needing one prior to NCSA. Contact the Director of Cadet Programs in Illinois for details or see their website.
Lt Col Nikki Shaffner, CAP
SCWG Chief of Staff
Gil Robb Wilson Award #3451 (2017)
Billy Mitchell Award (1990)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: musenik26 on November 17, 2015, 02:28:41 PM
Illinois Wing historically puts on a Spring Encampment that spans two weekends. It has been several years since I was involved there, but have seen posts that they were still occurring.  That was always an option for those needing one prior to NCSA. Contact the Director of Cadet Programs in Illinois for details or see their website.

ILWG Spring will be happening again this coming April (25th anniversary) https://sites.google.com/a/group22.net/encampment/

Typically, because of the format, and the driving involved, out of state cadets are from the bordering states.

winnipegbarley

I almost forgot about this thread.

The few seniors in my squadron that I spoke with about the KYWG encampment weren't very fond of the idea, and now my mother is convinced that it's not worth it. But that doesn't really bother me. After all of the difficulty with getting in touch with KYWG, I was starting to wonder if I'd even be able to register in time.

I'm currently looking into Spring encampments, so thank you for recommending ILWG. And thanks to everyone for the support!  :)