Main Menu

Uniform Tips

Started by JC004, May 12, 2015, 08:36:57 AM

spatch

Yes, what was once white is now yellow.  Don't have time to buy a new one as I need to be ready by Friday evening.  Bought the original 8 years ago, if that helps.  Even if I didn't need it so soon, I'd prefer to try to clean/restore it before buying a new one.

Al Sayre

You could try something like those kits they sell to clean up faded/fogged headlights... Beyond that replacing it is the only sure fix I know of.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Hummingbird

Quick tip for loosely aligning insignia without tools and in a hurry:

Fold the shirt/blouse backwards (along the "spine", to give a reference) and line each half of the collar up with the other. Then make sure that it's a mirror image. Did this to help someone fix their stuff in a hurry before a uniform inspection. Even if it's not quite the right distance from each edge it'll look a bit better.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

TheSkyHornet

I finally came to the point where I had to refer to this post to find the thread # for the patches.

You should have seen me standing in the store aisle trying to figure out which threads were blue and which were purple (color deficient)  :-\

JC004

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 03, 2016, 05:57:38 PM
I finally came to the point where I had to refer to this post to find the thread # for the patches.

You should have seen me standing in the store aisle trying to figure out which threads were blue and which were purple (color deficient)  :-\

I may have to change the colors.  We'll see.  Might just be #4900 (Navy).

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: JC004 on June 20, 2016, 04:23:52 PM

Great. Another excursion around Jo-Ann Fabric like a lost little lamb

JC004

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 20, 2016, 07:55:47 PM
Quote from: JC004 on June 20, 2016, 04:23:52 PM

Great. Another excursion around Jo-Ann Fabric like a lost little lamb

If it's #4900, that's available pretty much everywhere. 

MSG Mac

When cleaning Corfam/Poremic shoes use a soft dry cloth and nonabrasive soap. dish soap or shaving cream works wonders
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Windex worked well for me, followed by a wipe with a cloth having a light spritz of Pledge. Light spritz, barely wetting the cloth.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

I'd like to resume working on this project of compiling uniform tips into a guide, now that I am getting caught up on a number of post-hospital projects. 

I'd like to have a printable version (that individual members can print, or you can distribute during classes) and a web version to which you can easily point your members.

docrameous

Posted from another thread... if you take your ABU/BDU to a tailor and you are not certain they understand the regs for putting on your occupational badges, show them this graphic (in addition to the relevant text out of 39-1)

oweng_01

dose anyone know if your allowed to military press your AF blues uniform? Over all good article.

Jester

Quote from: oweng_01 on March 05, 2017, 10:49:03 PM
dose anyone know if your allowed to military press your AF blues uniform? Over all good article.

If you mean "military creases" with 2 running down the front and 3 running down the back, then no.

waukwiz

Unbutton, starch and iron the shoulder straps on blues shirts before ironing the rest of the garment. Subtle, but goes a long way.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Here is my step by step pro-tip for getting your name tapes, patches and insignia properly sewn on for your ABU/BDU/BBDU. I find this method to produce cleanly folded, properly aligned and attached insignia and reduce headaches of trying to explain 39-1 requirements to mom's/wives/seamstresses and inevitably having to have things redone.

Materials required:
-Cloth insignia, name tapes, patches as required.
-Double sided instant hem tape with paper backing
-Ruler
-Iron
-Good, sharp scissors. Do not use your mom/wife's good scissors. If you gunk them up with adhesive they will be angry.
-Sewing machine or seamstress/mom/wife etc if you don't sew.
-Tailor's chalk or other delible marking implement.

1. Using a good pair of sharp scissors, trim down backing fabric on insignia to 3/8 of an inch around insignia edges. For name/CAP tapes, trim to 1/2 inch beyond width of pocket.
2. Trim double sided instant hem tape to size with 1/8 inch around insignia edges. For tapes, cut hem tape to width of pocket.
3. Apply instant hem tape to rear of insignia. Leave paper backing on hem tape for now. Patches get hem tape applied along each edge and trimmed to just under the edge of the patch as necessary.
4. Fold over each edge of insignia, using the stiff edge of the hem tape with backing as your guide. Iron each fold to a sharp crease from the REAR side of insignia to prevent iron shine. For tapes, fold under ends at pocket width and crease accordingly.
5. CAREFULLY remove backing from hem tape.
6. Starting with the narrow ends of the insignia and following your established creases, fold over the 1/4 inch of excess fabric per side and press firmly to adhere to hem tape.
7. If necessary trim any stray threads or fabric poking outside your now properly spaced and folded insignia.
8. Apply another layer of hem tape to rear of insignia and nametapes.
9. Remove backing from hem tape on name tapes. Apply to proper position on pocket edge. Press firmly to adhere.
10. Measure placement of insignia over name tapes. Place insignia on uniform (Note: DO NOT REMOVE HEM TAPE BACKING ON INSIGNIA YET.). Mark position with tailor's chalk or other chosen marking implement.
11. Measure and mark collar insignia placement in accordance with step 10.
12. Remove backing from hem tape on all insignia.
13. Place insignia in proper locations as marked. Press firmly to adhere. Double check placement with ruler before continuing. At this point it is still fairly easy to remove and re-position insignia if needed.
14. Turn garment inside out. Iron over inside of garment where insignia is placed. This melts the adhesive and sets the insignia in place. Iron collar insignia from underside of collar.
15. Sew insignia/tapes/patches in place using sewing machine with appropriate thread color or bring to seamstress.

Hope you all find this helpful! Usually takes me about a half hour of measuring, trimming, ironing, etc to set up one uniform
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

GaryVC

Quote from: docrameous on January 01, 2017, 10:27:22 PM
Posted from another thread... if you take your ABU/BDU to a tailor and you are not certain they understand the regs for putting on your occupational badges, show them this graphic (in addition to the relevant text out of 39-1)

It is interesting to me that the items that aren't mentioned look wrong. The rank isn't centered and the wing patch (which in Nevada we don't have to wear on any uniform) looks like it is an inch down from the seam rather than 1/2 inch.

NIN

I just sewed these for someone and the IC badge is exactly 1/2" from the top of the name tape to the white, and the IC badge to wings is exactly 1/2" white to white.  As you can see, it looks... "off".

My solution usually is to cheat the middle badge down a tiny bit (within the "tolerance", like less than 1/16") and the upper badge up a similar amount. The evened out spacing looks more correct. Nobody has even questioned it in the 15 years I've been doing it that way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 12, 2015, 01:01:08 PM
When attaching devices on ribbons, break the back prongs off of the devices.  They will break off clean.  Then use white Elmers glue, put small dab on the back of the device with a toothpick.  Then press the device onto the ribbon.  Use a clean toothpick to easily wipe off any excess guy that me squeeze out.  Any small amounts left dry clear.  Your ribbons wont get all warped or distorted by punching the clasp through.  Ive done this for years.  Its sticks grey and your ribbons stay looking sharp.  Elmers Wood Glue works the best, but its yellow.  You just have to be more careful about what squeezes out.   Get an old ribbon and practice it before you go to working on your real set.  If you have fat fingers.... use a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers to set the device on the ribbon.  You don't want to slide it into place.

I am getting a device for my Encampment Ribbon, so I am curious why you would glue the device on. What if you earn another device?
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Jester

It never sits right when you use the prongs. It's easier to put a dab of glue on and the position the device on the ribbon and make minor corrections before it sets.

If you punch the prongs through and then realize they weren't attached to the device straight, when you pull it out there's massive holes in the ribbon that are quite noticeable.

It's also easier to move the ribbon from one rack to another if the devices are glued. If the prongs catch on the rack while you're sliding it off you're probably going to lose the ribbon.

PHall

And ribbons are cheap. Don't worry about ruining one.