Squadron Commander utilities?

Started by BFreemanMA, February 07, 2015, 11:08:21 PM

BFreemanMA

Hello all,

I was poking around the forums and learned of a website from days past called squadroncommander.com (or something to that effect) that had some programs or utilities to make the commander's job easier. I was recently appointed as commander and there are a lot of dates and deadlines I have to remember, plus my squadron is a bit on the larger side.

Does anyone have any documents or utilities (or perhaps useful files from the now-defunct Squadron Commander site)? Any tricks or tips you other SQ/CC use to simplify things?
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Yes, a number of years ago some of us who ran another web site called CadetStuff decided to stand up SquadronCommand, which was supposed to be a community of practice for commanders. The site never really took off. As Eclipse notes, for several years it hosted a popular homegrown Microsoft Access-based squadron management program called SIMS.

SquadronCommand was a good idea, but it needed more hands involved to make it work. I'm not sure I would stand up the same thing today, especially with CAP Talk serving as the default unofficial CAP water cooler.

FalconHatTrick

Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Gomes on February 08, 2015, 03:10:36 AM
SIMS is still available on the NJWG website

http://www.njwg.cap.gov/sims
Only downside is the lack of updates over the past year and change.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

FalconHatTrick

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 08, 2015, 04:27:11 AM
Quote from: Gomes on February 08, 2015, 03:10:36 AM
SIMS is still available on the NJWG website

http://www.njwg.cap.gov/sims
Only downside is the lack of updates over the past year and change.

I know the comment's page is pretty active.  I haven't come across anything in the program that needs updating.  Then again I'm not an IT guy, so you might see something I don't.
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

Tim Medeiros

Implementation of promotion boards across the board
Ability to import cadet duty assignments
Ability to import committee assignments
Figuring out where to go with the Officer Progression vs Professional Development tabs
Ability to import CAP Drivers License (ie, mark the checkbox based off of the opsqual entry)
Removal of the GES 101 Card Number
Removal of the old CAPF 50s
Adding the CAPF 40
Ability to actually maintain the login credentials, if they are so created, to include deleting them.  (I can't remove an old members username/password)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Private Investigator

Quote from: BFreemanMA on February 07, 2015, 11:08:21 PMAny tricks or tips you other SQ/CC use to simplify things?

When I was first a Squadron Commander everything was on paper. So I had a "To Do List" on my desk of weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi annual and annual reports and tasks. So I had an ideal of what was due and what was coming up. Also for example whatever you did for Memorial Day last year, you will do again this year and of course next year. So you know your Honor Guard and/or Color Guard will need to be prepared.

After the first year, you will really rock year #2 and #3. For year #4 start training your replacement because most people will be burnt out by then.  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 08, 2015, 05:36:52 PM
For year #4 start training your replacement because most people will be burnt out by then.

And you're done, regardless.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2015, 05:43:27 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on February 08, 2015, 05:36:52 PM
For year #4 start training your replacement because most people will be burnt out by then.

And you're done, regardless.

Exactly, for better or worse.  8)

BFreemanMA

I've downloaded SIMS and will start playing around with it. I've also set up a "command calendar" for myself and my command staff to keep track of events that are in the process of approval, things to do, progress, etc. I've been extremely busy in these first few weeks, but I'm very lucky to have an excellent staff!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron