Wearing of Optional Devices and Appurtances

Started by Pylon, April 27, 2005, 04:25:35 PM

Do you wear any, some, or all of your optional earned badges, patches, and devices?

I wear nothing except the bare minimums
I wear one or two select items & leave the rest at home
I wear some items, but not everything
I wear everything I earned

Pylon

I was curious to see how the membership practices optional devices, patches, badges, and other uniform appurtances.

For example, on the short-sleeved blues we can all get away with simply wearing nameplate and grade insignia.  However, we have all sorts of optional items, from ribbon racks to specialty insignia, wings, and qualification badges.

Another example, on the BDUs or BBDUs, we can get away with nametapes and grade insignia.  However, most of us could easily add some sort of optional patch or two, a unit patch, qualification badges/wings, etc.

I know that some are inclined to wear nothing other than the minimums and others wear to what they've earned the right.  I have a feeling many of us fall in the middle somewhere, wearing some of the things we've earned but "mixing and matching" and leaving a few out.

So, get to voting... let's find out.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

I am a wearer of some.  I've stopped wearing my ground team badge all together, since, while I was once GTM qualified, I haven't been in years and have no interest in getting qualified again.

On blues/greys, I wear the command badge and my pilot wings.  No ribbons, and I don't wear my cadet programs badge anymore (for no particular reason).  I do wear all my ribbons/devices on my service coat, plus the command badge, wings, and cadet programs badge.

On BDUs, I wear pilot wings, my squadron patch, and the proficient pilot patch.  I'm planning to buy new BDUs this year, and I don't plan on putting the PPP on there.  I thought I would like it, but it looks kinda silly.

whatevah

on Blues, I wear the ribbons, nameplate and that's it.
on BDUs, I'm currently just wearing my wing patch, going to add my GTL badge before encampment and move my Nat'l Encampment patch onto on of my current uniforms around the same time.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

On the aviator shirt, I wear nameplate, epaulets, all ribbons, CP badge or Comm badge (depending on what I am doing).

Field uniform: EMT badge, Comm patch, unit patch, required patches.

MIKE

I can't really answer the poll with just one choice as what I wear varies from uniform to uniform.

Service Dress - GT badge, All ribbons & attachments, COMM and CP badges.
S/S & L/S Service Uniform - GT badge.
BDU pair 1 - GT badge, COMM patch & unit patch.
BDU pairs 2 & 3 - GT badge.
Mike Johnston

JaL5597

On my blues I wear my ribbons.  I don't wear my Cadet Programs badge, I figure that can wait till I get around to buying service dress.

On my bdus I wear the Emergency Services Patch.  I used to wear a squadron patch but I transfered to wing hq and rarely wear bdus so I figure it doesn't matter.

cmoore

I think I wear everything I'm entitled to, which is almost nothing.
No rank, no specialty qualifications.  The first 6 months as a
"Senior Member Without Grade" sure seems to take a long time.

Our squadron doesn't seem to be big on uniforms.  I'm one of few
that has BDUs.  Those of us that fly have flight suits.  And everyone
has the blue golf shirt.  I've never seen a senior member of my
squadron in any other uniform.
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Greg

It depends which uniform....

Blues shirt: sometimes I'll wear badges and I used to wear one ribbon, but now that it's "all or some", I'll usually wear no ribbons, and sometimes my GTM badge and MR badge.

Service Coat: everything

BDU blouse: I don't wear my emergency services patch or the MR patch
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pace

I don't like wearing ribbons on anything but service coat.

Service coat: everything (GTL, large pilot or observer wings, rocketry, and all ribbons)
s/s & l/s: GTL badge and mini pilot or observer wings
BDUs: NCSA patch, GTL, and wings

If my squadron ever gets its patch manufactured, I'll wear that on my BDUs as well.
Lt Col, CAP

Major_Chuck

Service Dress uniform has everything with the exception of one specialty badge

I quit wearing the EMT badge since I don't practice anymore (still current but when you don't use the skills you tend to lose them)

the specialty badge I wear the most depends upon the activity and what role I am in.  Safety versus Logistics.

I wear the ribbons on special occassions.  (and they are too expensive to replace should something get on them).

I tend to wear the blazer uniform the most lately.  Probably because I've done a lot of speaking lately to outside civic groups.

-cc
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Mac

As others have said it depends on which uniform I'm wearing.

BDU's- Master GT Badge above my Senior Munitions Maintenance Badge (USAF)

Blues short sleeves- Master GT Badge, Cadet programs Badge, and Command Badge, no ribbons

Service Coat- everything.

I refuse to wear the ES Patch or Comm patch on my BDU's as it adds to much color to the uniform. (looks to much like a boy scout uniform)
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Ken

I wear all my ribbons because I extremely proud to wear them.

pixelwonk

Blue shirt: wings and nameplate
BDUs: GTL badge
Service coat: everything

BlueLakes1

Like most everyone, depends on what I'm wearing.

Blues shirt, wings only. Coat, wings, EMT badge (can't wait for the new paramedic badge to come out, woohoo), all ribbons. No program badges though.

Flight suit, wear the normal patches, though I often switch my right sleeve patch out. Velcro is great. I do wish they sold nametags with multiple badges though, so I could wear pilot and paramedic.

BDUs, just the pilot and EMT, no ES patch.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Camas

On my short-sleeve aviator or blue shirt it's just a specialty track badge; no ribbons.  On my long-sleeve uniforms (both aviator and blue) I might occasionally wear my CAP ribbons.  On my dress blues, it's both military and CAP ribbons!

jacklumanog

Class A - standard items (nameplate, US), all 2 ribbons (membership and & leadership with silver star) and Christian Chaplain cross

Class B - just nameplate and Chaplain cross

BDU pair 1 - standard items (grade, wing patch) and embroidered Chaplain cross
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

Monty

On both AF-style service uniforms or aviator combinations, I wear the nametag and one badge.  Prior to being a squadron commander, I wore my specialty badge.  Currently...just the commander badge.  In my opinion, as a commander, I don't want to "pigeon hole" my knowledge into one displayed specialty (and I've not much choice when wearing white and grays anyway.)

Full mamma-jamma on the Service Dress on the rare times I wear it and when I cut off all the hair and beard (which I actually do from time to time.)

I respect people's right to choose, but for me, it is enough to know that I earned a ribbon or badge without having to show it to others.  Nothing wrong with those who feel otherwise...I generally let them put on a great display anyway: everybody wins that way.

Cmdbuddy

Service Dress: Everything

Short sleeved Blues: Nametag and maybe my badges

BDU's: Badges and NCSA patch (I'm wearing NFA right now because I think it goes along the best with the rest of the ultramarine patches.)

Man, do I miss the "Some" option of all, some, or none.  I miss my short stack!
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

how exactly do you make a poll. I'll wear eveything i ern by the way.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

MIKE

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 24, 2005, 08:05:19 PM
how exactly do you make a poll.

I don't think we can at the moment. Only Admins or Mods can.  If we ask nicely maybe they will let us though.  :)
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on June 24, 2005, 08:54:20 PM

I don't think we can at the moment. Only Admins or Mods can.  If we ask nicely maybe they will let us though.  :)

If you have a poll in mind... ask away.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Pylon on June 24, 2005, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: MIKE on June 24, 2005, 08:54:20 PM

If you have a poll in mind... ask away.  :)
i don't have a poll. i was just wondering
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

vandy

On my grays I wear my nameplate, Chaplain's cross and ribbons. I thought about not wearing the ribbons, but I found that sometimes having my Mitchell ribbon on helps cadets to relate to me because they know I'm a former cadet and I've been where they are (like during encampment, etc.).

On BDUs I wear my Chaplain's cross and the other required badges, but nothing else.

When I was a cadet I wore all of my ribbons on Class A and Class B uniforms, but I rarely wore my rocketry badge. At my basic encampment we were encouraged not to wear ribbons or badges by our flight commander because if we had them on incorrectly that was one more thing that they could take off for on inspection (and it's a lot harder to make sure that your ribbons are straight and spaced right on the female uniform since we don't have the pocket). What I got from that was that it was better to not wear them if I didn't have the time to measure absolutely correctly.