Main Menu

172 flying into O'Hare

Started by Майор Хаткевич, October 23, 2014, 06:27:18 PM

Eclipse

No thank you.  MDW is bad enough. Scary as heck, those runways are huge and the big boys could literally
blow you off the ground.

Not to mention the pilot had better be on his toes. The controllers talk like auctioneers and are not excites about
progressives or even repeating themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

It's fun! (not), but sometimes it's necessary to land at the "majors".  It just takes some planning, and some cash.  Landing fees at these airports are ridiculous unless you are flying a compassion flight or CAP mission! :o

Huey Driver

Quote from: FW on October 23, 2014, 07:20:39 PM
It's fun! (not), but sometimes it's necessary to land at the "majors".  It just takes some planning, and some cash.  Landing fees at these airports are ridiculous unless you are flying a compassion flight or CAP mission! :o

This guy actually made it off without paying a dime, since he vacated the runway and immediately taxied back for departure. I know you can't get away with that everywhere though  :P
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

FW

Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 23, 2014, 09:23:09 PM
Quote from: FW on October 23, 2014, 07:20:39 PM

This guy actually made it off without paying a dime, since he vacated the runway and immediately taxied back for departure. I know you can't get away with that everywhere though  :P

The owner of the aircraft will most likely get a bill in the mail from the airport authority.  That's what happens at EWR, JFK, PHL, and a few other places where the FBO isn't responsible to collect... Just sayn' :angel:

vento

^^^ Yes, the bill usually arrives in the mail two or three weeks after the landing. They go by tail number. So, if the pilot rented the aircraft, then the aircraft owner will get the bill.

MacGruff

That was still an awesome video!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JacobAnn

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2014, 06:57:25 PMThe controllers talk like auctioneers and are not excites about

Back in my charter days I normally flew twins into Palwaukee but occasionally I did go into O'Hare.  Flying in was the easy part.  Navigating the taxi maze was the real challenge.  The controllers talked to every aircraft like their arrival was a daily occurrence. 

Flying Pig

I flew a C182 as a part time fill in for a law firm.  One day I got a call for the flight and the boss said he NEEDED to land at LAX.  I told him we wouldn't be going to LAX in a C182.  However... we did go to Van Nuys so I could land on 16 Right  >:D

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 24, 2014, 02:50:25 PM
I flew a C182 as a part time fill in for a law firm.  One day I got a call for the flight and the boss said he NEEDED to land at LAX.  I told him we wouldn't be going to LAX in a C182.  However... we did go to Van Nuys so I could land on 16 Right  >:D

Should have gone to Hawthone and called him a cab. Hawthorne to LAX is what, 2 miles?

aviatorguy32

Flying into ORD is something I want to do.  I've gone into MDW several times.  The first time I took another pilot along and glad I did.  After that I know what to expect when going into MDW.  I've flown right seat for another pilot going into ORD in an SR22 but we filed IFR.  So we just got thrown down the ILS with everyone else.

PHall

Flying into any large airport requires you to have two things handy.

Map of the airfield. - The one in the approach plate books will do. Also available at places like Baseops.com.
Note pad and pencil  to write down that taxi clearance.

If you've been flying IFR you've should have that note pad handy anyway for all of the frequency changes you've done already just getting to the airport!

Of course the tower hates you already since the 90 mph you're doing during the approach is about 1/2 to 1/3 as fast as the Boeings and Airbusses are doing!

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2014, 06:57:25 PM
No thank you.  MDW is bad enough. Scary as heck, those runways are huge and the big boys could literally
blow you off the ground.

Not to mention the pilot had better be on his toes. The controllers talk like auctioneers and are not excites about

Getting in and out of MDW isn't all that bad after you do it once or twice.  Even the VFR corridor that scrapes along the edge of the Surface Class Charlie is rather fun after you've seen how it's done.  Here's my first solo approach into MDW in a CAP aircraft:

Going into ORD, though, the only question I have is 'Why?'  There's not really anywhere for you in a 172 to go.  I suppose it is really cool just to be able to say you've done it, but you're doing it at a cost of aggravating a lot of airline pilots and ATC.  But MDW actually did a great job of taking every bit of intimidation of flying in and out of Class C airspace for me.  I fly in and out of RDU all the time now with all the big boys, and it's not a big deal.  But i haven't done too much flying around in Class B.  But it's just because there's not much call for me to land at an airport surrounded by Class B.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Johnny Yuma

Aw (Heck) No...

I'd rather try my luck at Meigs ;)
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

ColonelJack

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on October 26, 2014, 10:36:38 PM
Aw (Heck) No...

Especially since it ain't there no more ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 26, 2014, 11:07:57 PM
Aw (Heck) No...

Says who?  Plenty of grass still there. 

It's pretty funny how many guys still fly the approach.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2014, 12:08:06 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on October 26, 2014, 11:07:57 PM
Aw (Heck) No...

Says who?  Plenty of grass still there. 

It's pretty funny how many guys still fly the approach.

What do you want to bet some of them do that just to irritate former Mayor Daley, who ordered Meigs destroyed literally in the middle of the night and on his own say-so.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

Count on it.

I was generally a supporter through the years, but for goodness sakes, if you're going to do something,
have the stones to say what you're going to do and do it during the day.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I've flown into LAX, SAN, LAS, PHX, OAK, ABQ and DFW with a 172 and LAX once with a Citabria .. LAX and SAN, to pickup/drop off people for the airlines, and the others because they were on the way during long cross country flights where I figured lets just use the nice huge airport, since I can go right through the middle of the airspace, be in, and out ... The AvGas price penalty wasn't so bad, and in some cases it wasn't actually any more than the surrounding airports were reporting so it made that decision easy.

Never paid a landing fee at any of those places, just bought some gas, or patronized the area for the day. If it was a hot afternoon in PHX, and schedule/weather permitting, we'd go visit museums downtown and leave later in the afternoon when the wind picked up. Helps counter the density altitude a bit :) .. and the 10,000 feet too..

Just talk the talk, do the walk, be professional on the radio, come across with confidence, and you're in like flint.

I'll even offer to make a short approach from left/right traffic instead of getting in the queue on final, do mid-field landing, etc., whatever, and bring that up on my second radio call when I'm announcing intentions. Yeah, I might do an approach at 110 kts and bleed it off near the end, do a short field landing, all calculated to come in and be off at the first exit possible.

Got plenty of thank-you's. Ground transportation from the FBO to the terminal was never a problem, in the earliest of years, when LAX still had the commuter aircraft at a remote terminal on the field, I was even able to taxi up to that and pick up/drop off people there. Despite security screening, the airport people did have provisions for GA passengers to be dropped off mid-field and brought back to the terminal to process/screen security. So you couldn't drop off to fly in a puddle jumper and just expect to get on the plane, they'd have to the terminal and back. But.. it was doable in the modern era.

That all changed post 2001, of course. An un-screened aircraft can't usually even get near that portion of the airport without someone getting nervous and paperwork possibly needing to be filled out.  Compared to the era into the early 1970s, when GA aircraft could taxi up to the gate as the intended flight and folks would check luggage at the airplane and walk into the terminal up the stairs or just in the door. You'd just ask the ground for the gate of the specific flight and go there. 

The LAX and John Wayne ramp people (SNA/Orange County) had fun with the tail dragger.. "wow, these don't come here often at all"... and LAX with a zig-zag taxi pattern.. is slightly alarming to some of the ground people who are wondering why that little airplane is not staying right on the line.. ;)

With a talidragger, it's not uncommon to taxi in an alternating S pattern while straddling the center line so that you can -see- the centerline, and more importantly, just what is ahead of you, so you don't miss your turn off. Especially at an un-familiar field.

Sure made picking up people at the airport fun. :)

Especially those coming in who had no idea .. but were grateful for the pickup, figuring we were going to spend 3 hours on the road afterwards, only to be at "home" in just about an hour total.

"I'll meet you at the curb, look for the white van that says Garret on it"  .. "how did you come, oh, you'll see.. " ;)

Such a blast..