Modernizing the physical fitness program

Started by Eclipse, August 26, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

Eclipse

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/Jo_Fitness_White_Paper_C780ADDEF527E.pdf

"While it is universally agreed that physical fitness is important for cadets, there are many
varied opinions on how best to promote and measure it. Our current fitness program was
adopted in 2003, with a scoring change in 2006. While this model has worked well for
certain segments of our population there are many who are left behind by the relentless
testing and emphasis on performance. Modern understanding of fitness, particularly how it
relates to young people, has grown and developed. This classic model of fitness is looking
more and more outdated. It is time to respond to current research and update our physical
fitness program."

"Our Proposal
To modernize the physical fitness program we recommend the following changes:
• Remove current CPFT from cadet promotion requirements
• Adopt Presidential Youth Fitness Program with quarterly testing
• Rewrite CAPP 52-18 with updated activity recommendations, nutrition information
and testing protocols
• Issue new Cadet Physical Fitness Activity Guide to support positive fitness activities
at the squadron level
• Introduce new Fitness Excellence badge"

"One other significant difference between the CPFT and PYFP is the frequency of testing.
Cadets would take the test quarterly, rather than once per promotion. The less time spent
testing cadets' fitness, the more time may be spent doing fun, motivational physical activity.

After the Wright Brothers milestone cadets would be required to be in their HFZ to continue
advancing. For new cadets and those that have scored in the Needs Improvement zone, a
remedial fitness program would be available. Cadets who remain in the Needs Improvement
zone after 3 months in the remedial program would be retained in grade until they are able to
score in the HFZ."

Emphasis mine.

I don't necessarily agree that the CPFT needs adjustment at all.  I know Ned indicated
it was based on an "outdated", standard, but my question is whether the "outdated" nature of the
standard is because the levels are legitimately inappropriate, or because CPFT is affecting
retention, and the "fix" is "relative" scores instead of "concrete" scores to try and spur retention.
The example they used sounds like a CT discussion.  Talk about ends of the spectrum. The
average cadet in the average unit, is neither a gymnast nor a football player.  They are couch-riders
who may be involved in some school sports, but many (most?)are not.

The paper asserts that once a month isn't enough, then proposes dropping to quarterly testing
and suggesting cadets seek out PT elsewhere - the whole issue is they aren't now, and
many come in on testing night crossing their fingers they can brute force one more promotion,
even though they are out of breath getting out of the car.  Reducing the testing interval
to quarterly will have the effect, for most units, of treating anything more then 4 times a
year as "optional" meaning "we don't have to do it anymore".  The practical result, absent command
imperative, is more drill, less PT on nights when there's no lesson plan.

The paper suggests that running in the winter is an issue, and that the PYFP offers a number
of alternatives, but then indicates it won't look to adopt all of them.  Why?  Run the whole
program and offer everything. If things are going to change, let them change all the way,
and use this to CAP's advantage.

I concede the argument that "a cadet trying" is better then "a cadet quitting", but I am also
fearful of what I perceive to be the dilution of the program.  More alternatives in the
how's ands what's of testing and standards are fine, but I would not reduce the frequency,
or if testing each month isn't needed, certainly not make PT "optional" in any given month -
that night should still be required, and some systematic checks need to be in place to insure
CC's aren't left to "do nothing, or what they will, until the SUI" which is the case today.

Further to that, the CP as whole would be a lot better off if NHQ adopted a mandatory
13-week (or whatever) schedule for all units, started each year on 1 January.
There could be room for the flexibility of resources and facilities, or to take advantage
of opportunities, but a Unit should be a Unit, and there should not be a radical difference
from wing to wing, let along units within a wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

catrulz

I suggested much of your suggesting to Rex Glasgow back in the early 2000's (2004-5?).  My contention was that cadet membership turn over was exacerbated by the inability to promote.  In some cases you had a cadet that was an excellent cadet except for the ability to pass CPFT.

I also recommended a CPF Ribbon.  A ribbon or badge would work. 

My concept of the operation was:

*CPFT is monthly but diagnostic until the Mitchell (must be passed at this level and above)
*CPF Ribbon for Cadets that consistently pass the test.
*An Additional Event to provide another opportunity to pass.

This allows for cadets to work for the Mitchell as they age and progress, without holding them back.

AFJROTC has no physical fitness testing at all!  The average cadet will not go into the armed forces.  I think our unit averaged about 40%.

Eclipse

The above isn't my suggestion or proposal, see the link to the white paper at the top of the OP.

As to another badge or ribbon - cadets who "consistently pass" get promoted.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

So, who gets to administer the "Remedial Fitness Program" and how much time at meetings does it consume? WIWAD, it was an extra hour of PT every evening just before close of business and dinner, including weekends.

NC Hokie

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure that the PACER test is suitable for the typical cadet unit.  You can read about the PACER by clicking on the Fitnessgram assessment protocols link in the white paper, or you can check out Wikipedia for the TL:DR version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_meter_pacer_test

Based on my understanding, the minimum amount of time you could budget for the PACER test is 30 minutes (21 minutes for the test and time for adequate stretching and cool down), assuming that you have enough space for all cadets to run at the same time and adequate senior member supervision to track each cadet's progress.

Most units would probably have to run two iterations of the PACER, with half of the cadets running and half counting laps each time.  That's 60 minutes gone, and you haven't even started the rest of the CPFT yet.

And you can forget about doing the PACER in a long hallway during poor weather, as most hallways could only accommodate one runner at a time.  At up to 21 minutes each, most units would run out of time before running out of cadets.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2014, 02:45:51 PM
The above isn't my suggestion or proposal, see the link to the white paper at the top of the OP.

I <sarcasm> really like </sarcasm> the possibility of awarding a badge one cycle and asking the cadet to take it off after another cycle.  That might work for adults at the USAFA, but I'm not sure it would play well with our age cohort.

Or their parents! >:D

Edited to add the sarcasm tags.  Just in case.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Perhaps a Physical Fitness ribbon for achieving a standard above the promotion requirements. No need to remove. Repeat awards over a time span long enough to not have anyone need a 2nd ribbon.

We promote those who pass, award those who excel.

NC Hokie

Actually, a ribbon wouldn't be a bad idea if they do remove the CPFT from the promotion requirements.  Do it like NJROTC did it back in my day; cadets get the ribbon when they pass their first test and get devices for each additional test they pass.  This recognizes continued excellence and avoids the possibility of taking away an earned award.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Brad

As NC Hokie said, we had a PT ribbon in NJROTC, plus you had to pass your PT test for certain promotions, to be on cadet staff, and additionally it was part of your NJROTC class grade. There are devices for multiple awards and different levels of fitness. If you drop down a level though you have to remove the device from the higher level. I don't think we ever had anyone who dropped so low they didn't rate the ribbon anymore though.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

arajca

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 26, 2014, 03:46:06 PM

I <sarcasm> really like </sarcasm> the possibility of awarding a badge one cycle and asking the cadet to take it off after another cycle.  That might work for adults at the USAFA, but I'm not sure it would play well with our age cohort.

Or their parents! >:D

Edited to add the sarcasm tags.  Just in case.
You know, a shoulder cord would be better. Cadets generally know it's not a permenent award like a badge or a ribbon.

Майор Хаткевич

Heh. I've wondered why there were more Spaatz cadets BITD (besides more cadets overall). The standards on PT seem to suggest at least one difference. Of course the cadet program itself has changed plenty over the decades, even during the short span that I was a cadet myself.

It's going to be rough to do an objective standard for all. As the example listed, some cross country runners will ice the mile run and sit and reach, while struggle with pushups or situps. A larger, "strength" based athlete may knock out push ups and sit ups but fail on the run.

LTC Don

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2014, 05:35:12 AM
http://capmembers.com/media/cms/Jo_Fitness_White_Paper_C780ADDEF527E.pdf

[While this model has worked well for certain segments of our population there are many who are left behind by the relentless
testing and emphasis on performance.

When something like this is stated, in any sort of 'proposal' that it is made to sound like the strive for excellence is a bad thing, is......crap.

This, is the liberal or progressive agenda and is made to generally issue trophies/ribbons/awards for 'participating' or, 'showing up'.....  >:(

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the CPFT or the way it's currently administered.  It should stay tied to promotion requirements.

The Cadet Oath is not just words on a piece of paper.  [darnit].

The only problem with the 'system' is that PT is not mandated for every meeting.

PRINCIPLES OF EXERCISE
If you want your fitness training to be effective and safe, you have to adhere to certain basic exercise principles whether you are an Olympic athlete or a cadet. Those principles include:
♦ Regularity:
For training to be productive, cadets must exercise regularly. Exercising only once in a while can do more harm than good. Regularity is also important in resting, sleeping, and following a good diet.
♦ Progression: The intensity (how hard) and/or duration (how long) of exercise must gradually increase to improve the level of fitness.
♦ Balance: To be effective, a program should include activities that address all the fitness components – strength, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance -- since overemphasizing any one of them may hurt the others.
♦ Variety: Providing a variety of activities reduces boredom and increases motivation and progress. Exercise is hard work. Cadets will stick with a program only if it's lively and fun.
♦ Specificity: Training must be geared toward specific goals. For example, cadets who need to lower
their mile run time will become better runners if their training emphasizes running. Although swimming is a great exercise, it does not improve the 1-mile run time as much as a running program does.

Squadrons should have some form of PT activity of some sort every meeting if at all possible since many know that's the only activity many of these cadets get outside the home or school.

We have at least one cadet that up until the cadet started trying to run, the mother admitted that she had never seen her cadet run.  Ever.   :o
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Luis R. Ramos

I was ambivalent on this issue, but I guess that after Don's words, I may be siding with him.

Today's kids are not very active, and some school PT programs are closing. If anything we need to be promoting PT.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 26, 2014, 07:55:34 PM
I was ambivalent on this issue, but I guess that after Don's words, I may be siding with him.

Today's kids are not very active, and some school PT programs are closing. If anything we need to be promoting PT.

Sheesh, today's SENIORS aren't very active, myself included, as evidenced last weekend when I tried humping the hills with the cadets. I died. I need to put down this 12er of Krispy Kreme and start doing SOMETHING. It's horrible to see the way I look NOW as opposed to what I looked like in my 20s, even 30s.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

CAP_truth

Why does it appears when seniors have a meeting there are donuts available. Could we find a healthier alternative.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2014, 08:00:13 PM
Sheesh, today's SENIORS aren't very active, myself included, as evidenced last weekend when I tried humping the hills with the cadets. I died. I need to put down this 12er of Krispy Kreme and start doing SOMETHING. It's horrible to see the way I look NOW as opposed to what I looked like in my 20s, even 30s.

Computers are doing that to us now.  Before, if you needed a form, you would walk to HR and ask and then walk to turn it in.  Now, you download it and email it to them.  Needed to look something up, you would walk to the reference books (library, archives, whatever).  Now, you just type it into google. 

I have this argument with my co-workers all the time.  They get annoyed when they have to pick something up 2 blocks away because it is either too hot or too much time or too long.  They want it delivered to them instead. 

Every once in a while, something is incorrectly delivered to us.  Since I work in a secure facility, it is usually easier for me to drop it off at the correct building, rather than have that person come to mine to pick it up.  I get to hear the complaining about how that should not be and how they should be required to come and pick it up.  It is never-ending.

Of course, computers are also good and make things faster and easier.  So it is trade off.

LSThiker

Quote from: CAP_truth on August 26, 2014, 08:10:10 PM
Why does it appears when seniors have a meeting there are donuts available. Could we find a healthier alternative.

Unfortunately, healthier options are usually more expensive.  Actually, I have tried this before and it failed miserably.  Now, I try to balance it with "healthier" options.

Garibaldi

I can see dimly into the future...

We will be able to lie in bed, put a plug into our head and work that way. Our bodies will atrophy. We will take nourishment from pills and tubes. No one will move. Gas prices will fall to extraordinary levels. Those less fortunate than the elite will become powerhouses of physicality, able to move small mountains while their brains shrink.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2014, 08:29:54 PM

We will be able to lie in bed, put a plug into our head and work that way. Our bodies will atrophy. We will take nourishment from pills and tubes. No one will move. Gas prices will fall to extraordinary levels. Those less fortunate than the elite will become powerhouses of physicality, able to move small mountains while their brains shrink.

I see plans, within plans....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

ColonelJack

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2014, 08:29:54 PM

Hey, I saw that movie ... "Wall-E" if I remember correctly.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia