Encampment/JROTC JCLC Issue

Started by AirForceBlue117, July 07, 2014, 12:01:58 AM

Eclipse

^ So take this, prepare a military-style memo to your CC, and ask him to review it and forward if he thinks it meets the mandate.

A couple things - considering the new encampment curriculum and the number of contact hours, if whatever the OP completed
isn't at least "close", NHQ may not approve it.

Second, as indicated, completing "other" may well get you encampment credit for your Mitchell, but it won't count towards
an encampment ribbon, nor will it likely be considered very highly if applying for staff of a CAP activity, especially if it
is one where there is a fair amount of competition for staff slots.

I know as an encampment CC, this came up once or twice, and the reality was that the cadets who had not attended
a CAP encampment, had no real idea how CAP encampments worked, and the risk of a staffer, especially high-placed,
"importing" the SOP of some other organization were too high to warrant giving the cadet a "pass" on the initial.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

You guys did answer the cadet in question with correct answers. I do have to point out that his reaction is not that far apart from some senior members who are told again and again the correct answer(s) but (s)he still insists in the incorrect approach... We have more than a few of those senior members in here... So please do not be too hard on him...

???
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Without having a copy of the curriculum for the JCLC it's hard to compare the two.  I quick look over looks like it may come close however, there does not appear to be anything aerospace related.  Also the D&C aspect may be called into question as there are many differences between how the Army does D&C compared to how the AF does D&C. 

This also poses a question of can a Sq CC decide not to up channel something like this?  Plus what are the statistics of NHQ approving other cadet orgs camps etc?

AirForceBlue117

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 07, 2014, 10:40:23 PM
Without having a copy of the curriculum for the JCLC it's hard to compare the two.  I quick look over looks like it may come close however, there does not appear to be anything aerospace related.  Also the D&C aspect may be called into question as there are many differences between how the Army does D&C compared to how the AF does D&C. 

This also poses a question of can a Sq CC decide not to up channel something like this?  Plus what are the statistics of NHQ approving other cadet orgs camps etc?

I believe I can locate a curriculum sheet as I was Staff at JCLC, I just need to see my Op Orders. As for D&C, AJROTC is about 85% the same as to CAP (When I was doing Drill for CAP - Color Guard, Honor Guard, etc. - They basically had moslty the same movements and commands).
Cadet Second Lieutenant (Group 7, Florida Wing)
Color Guard Team Commander
Squadron Safety Officer: SER-FL-464
Army JROTC Cadet (Cadet Lieutenant Colonel)

abdsp51

Quote from: AirForceBlue117 on July 08, 2014, 12:00:52 AM
I believe I can locate a curriculum sheet as I was Staff at JCLC, I just need to see my Op Orders. As for D&C, AJROTC is about 85% the same as to CAP (When I was doing Drill for CAP - Color Guard, Honor Guard, etc. - They basically had moslty the same movements and commands).

There are major major differences between the two especially when it comes to color guard and standard drill.  Being the same and 85% the same are two different things.

lordmonar

And once again......send it up to NHQ for approval.

The worse they could do is say no.

Trying to convince one of us that your CLC is equivalent to an encampment is just wasting your time.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 07, 2014, 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: AirForceBlue117 on July 07, 2014, 05:17:34 PM
Plus, that seems unjust because Cadets can't help that their school is Army or Navy JROTC, so it is limiting Cadets who just happen to be in that small percentage of schools. It just doesn't seem right...

You get some credit for being in an Army or Navy JROTC program you just don't get credit for the summer courses.

That's not necessarily True.  It's evaluated on a case by case basis.

Quote from:  CAPR 51-169-5. Equivalent Programs. CAP grants encampment credit to cadets who complete equivalent
activities hosted by other cadet organizations. AFJROTC summer leadership schools (local nomenclature
varies) are an equivalent program. NHQ/CP evaluates other possible equivalents on a case-by-case basis.
To qualify as an equivalent program, the activity must be:

• sponsored by a cadet organization,
• conducted according to a military-style training model,
• conducted in-residence, with overnight experience, and
• designed to fulfill 70% of the CAP encampment program's learning goals.
Cadets request credit for their potentially equivalent program through their unit commander to NHQ/CP.
Cadets are requested to include links to program descriptions, curriculum outlines, schedules, etc.

PLEASE IGNORE.  Duplicate Quote.  I don't want to Nuke the Post

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 08, 2014, 12:16:55 AM
Quote from: AirForceBlue117 on July 08, 2014, 12:00:52 AM

There are major major differences between the two especially when it comes to color guard and standard drill.  Being the same and 85% the same are two different things.
While the movements and commands may be different, the purpose of D&C among each of the services is still the same.  It's kind of like trying to decide whether or not to code something in VB.NET or C#, both have the same purpose (building windows applications, as an example) they just do it in different ways.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811