Main Menu

Encampment packing

Started by Walkman, July 04, 2014, 04:39:05 PM

Walkman

My son is attending his first encampment this weekend & this is my first time prepping a cadet. We've got a packing list so we're all good on what to bring/what not to bring.

What I'm wondering about is the actual container. I've got a big USAF CFP-90 pack that could hold about everything, but then I got to thinking about ironing uniforms and was wondering if it would be better to use a rolling suitcase with a garment bag for blues?

Advice?

Eclipse

Unless the activity specifies otherwise, a normal roller, garment bag, or even military duffle
is a better choice then a backpack.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Just what I wanted to know. Thanks! The list didn't give any advice on what to pack items in.

Do they normally provide an iron to touch up Blues from travel?

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on July 04, 2014, 04:49:54 PM
Do they normally provide an iron to touch up Blues from travel?

Depends on the activity - you'd have to ask.

Since we were on a BMT base, we had gobs of irons and boards, not to mention washers and dryers, in the compartments,
so non-issue.  Some activities might prohibit them for safety reasons, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Thanks for the quick reply. There's no note of brigning an iron, so I have to assume there's either going to be one provided or there will be a small amount of forgiveness with wrinkles. We're at a big (and pretty up-to-date) ANG base, so its I'm sure he'll be all good.

Nervous/excited SM-Dad... ;)

PHall

I would pack the iron....

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 04, 2014, 05:45:31 PM
I would pack the iron....

Wait, what? NO! THERE WILL BE NO PACKING IRON! GUNS ARE FORBWHAT?

Oh. AN iron.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ALH

QuoteWait, what? NO! THERE WILL BE NO PACKING IRON! GUNS ARE FORBWHAT?

Oh. AN iron.

I run into the same confusion all the time.

Brad

If your TAC (don't recall the new PC term so forgive me) is on his/her game then he/she might pack an iron your Cadet can use. Don't bet on it though and don't bet on the Encampment as a whole providing one either. This activity is supposed to teach Cadets how to be self-sufficient leaders among other things.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Pack everything on the packing list........AND NOTHING ELSE.

It is not rocket science.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 06, 2014, 10:07:54 PM
Pack everything on the packing list........AND NOTHING ELSE.

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Brad on July 06, 2014, 09:13:14 PM
If your TAC (don't recall the new PC term so forgive me) is on his/her game then he/she might pack an iron your Cadet can use. Don't bet on it though and don't bet on the Encampment as a whole providing one either. This activity is supposed to teach Cadets how to be self-sufficient leaders among other things.

The term is Training Officer.  And I used to let cadets use my iron and ironing board at encampment, until the day a plastic big ended up between the said iron and ironing board and "nobody" knew how it happened...

(I ended up having to go downtown and buying a new iron and ironing board so I could iron my stuff.)