Contacting National Headquarters

Started by slimshady, June 30, 2014, 07:02:38 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 01, 2014, 12:05:57 AM
Although I do agree - basically - with the premise stated here, that the OP should practice proper grammar, I also have to state we do have our own equivalent of "texting abbreviation."

WIWAC. OP. C/SSgT. CC. CAPR. CAPM.

Should I continue?

But wait, OP. You see how using caps and lower case helps? By typing all these abbreviations in upper and lower case do help us understand these are special cases.

If we type OP, we and everyone else knows we are referring to the "Original Poster." And not to a word typed by mistake. Or when we type CAPM means we are talking about CAP manuals, and not that we made a typing mistake...

the diff is that your post has abbreviations not some random collection of misspelled wurds that make you look like you had trouble getting out of the third grade and those are accepted professional abbreviations not some bilge created to meet the 140 character limit but there may be a point here about not usin punctuation but i think im gonna have a stroke from trying to not puke while typing this lol-ing out loud...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on July 01, 2014, 12:21:56 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 01, 2014, 12:05:57 AM
Although I do agree - basically - with the premise stated here, that the OP should practice proper grammar, I also have to state we do have our own equivalent of "texting abbreviation."

WIWAC. OP. C/SSgT. CC. CAPR. CAPM.

Should I continue?

But wait, OP. You see how using caps and lower case helps? By typing all these abbreviations in upper and lower case do help us understand these are special cases.

If we type OP, we and everyone else knows we are referring to the "Original Poster." And not to a word typed by mistake. Or when we type CAPM means we are talking about CAP manuals, and not that we made a typing mistake...

the diff is that your post has abbreviations not some random collection of misspelled wurds that make you look like you had trouble getting out of the third grade and those are accepted professional abbreviations not some bilge created to meet the 140 character limit but there may be a point here about not usin punctuation but i think im gonna have a stroke from trying to not puke while typing this lol-ing out loud...

You too? I about had an aneurysm trying to type like he did.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

thrawn since you are addressing me who is not the op i am writing to you the same way to young ones these texting abbreviations are equal not random

Why didn't anyone even suggested that if he starts writing correctly, he will remember the correct spelling/punctuation to use when typing? Making him write faster...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Bobble

Quote from: THRAWN on June 30, 2014, 10:37:43 PM
Were you born ignorant of your surroundings or was there some training involved?

As my DCPO used to say, "Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity is forever."
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

lordmonar

Okay.

Let's agree that, like many things, context is important.

We dress nice when we go to weddings and church.
We wear the right uniform base on the job we are going to do.
We use abbreviations when appropriate to the audience.
Finally we use punctuation when appropriate.

Okay....two teens texting the OMGs and ROLFs....sure no punctuation required.

This is is CAP TALK and the unwritten rule here is that the collective we are going to expect those who post here follow some basic rules.

Just as at the squadron meeting, I want to see correct spelling and good punctuation on your formal correspondence.

That said.   The OP was called on his punctuational....politely I might add.....and responded in a manner not meeting the collective standards of this forum.

Beyond that....there is very little left to say. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 01, 2014, 12:29:57 AM
thrawn since you are addressing me who is not the op i am writing to you the same way to young ones these texting abbreviations are equal not random

Why didn't anyone even suggested that if he starts writing correctly, he will remember the correct spelling/punctuation to use when typing? Making him write faster...

Deaf ears, Luis....deaf ears...he doesn't see anything wrong, as as young adult, in what he is doing. It will serve him well in his future endeavors at Burger King or the local Waffle House.

Luis R. Ramos

Now both Gari and Lord put it in context! Great posts of both of you to summarize what I have read here.

At 59, I have started using that, loosely speaking, "writing style" with my girlfriend who is younger. I always got rattled when she abbreviated "U" for "you." Generally speaking I do not abbreviate when I text others. However once I tried to do it with some people more my age whom I work as a part-timer who abbreviated their texts but they wrote back "I don't understand you."
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

The idea of character limitations isn't even really a "thing" anymore, nor is the need for 3l33t3 speak
or whatever the abbreviation-laden gibberish is called these days.

Any decent text service will break up a long message into multiple SMS', and between auto-correct
and speech recognition, you actually have to work harder to use that kind of nonsense.

With that said, if your idea needs more then a coherent sentence, SMS is the incorrect medium.

Allstate mayhem commercial - Dean Winters as Teenage Girl in Pink Truck

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: ddbz20 on June 30, 2014, 08:07:10 PMi never called anyone at cap i emailed them.
If the conversations went anything like this, no wonder they told you to stop.

It's not just about the message, it's about the delivery vehicle, too. If you come in looking like a mess, that's the first impression they are going to get.

If you came to me speaking slop and gibberish, in a long run on manner, I would probably have dismissed anything you had to say and excused myself.

In posting on an open forum, you're speaking to many, and it's for all intents a permanent record.

Good luck with that outlook.

Otherwise I have found NHQ extremely helpful, willing to bend over backwards to help get something done, cleared up, etc. so I can't imagine what it would take for someone to pull that option of regulating your contact to someone else.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 30, 2014, 10:53:18 PM
I have no more to say on this matter, so I will graciously accept some of that popcorn you're not offering, COL!  >:D

Time to cook up some Hawaiian Hurricane popcorn (butter popcorn, arare (sesame soy crackers) and furikake (finely ground nori, sesame seeds and katsuoboshi (dried bonito) flakes)!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 01, 2014, 01:29:22 AM
I have no more to say on this matter, so I will graciously accept some of that popcorn you're not offering, COL!  >:D

Time to cook up some Hawaiian Hurricane popcorn (butter popcorn, arare (sesame soy crackers) and furikake (finely ground nori, sesame seeds and katsuoboshi (dried bonito) flakes)!

It's not pahu pana or whatever...

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 01, 2014, 01:30:30 AM

Pau hana! :) Time to crack open a Kona Longboard lager...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

DDbz

You only get one opportunity to make a first impression. In a forum like Cap Talk that impression is based on how you communicate. By not taking advantage of common usage, you present yourself badly. The fact that you claim to be able to write well, but choose not to, makes that impression even worse.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Panache

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 01, 2014, 01:32:55 AM

Pau hana! :) Time to crack open a Kona Longboard lager...

Now I crave some chicken long rice and Spam musubi.

Salty

This thread reminds me of some advice I received as a teenager.  You always need to be mindful of what you say to and around others because you never know what kind of connections they have.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

TarRiverRat

I still have a problem typing text messages.  When I type I still spell out all my words and never use abbreviations.  I still try to use proper grammar even when I do text.  I found that I type faster, because that is the way I was taught to type.  I may use LOL some, but that is about it.  I feel typing any other way is just lazy.  There are some on CAP Talk that use different abbreviations that I have found that I needed to look up just to understand what they were saying. IMHO was one of them.  If I see someone post without punctuation and have a sentence that is a paragraph long, I usually just skip it.  It gives me a headache.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

jeders

Much like 5 o'clock, it's always pau hana somewhere in the universe.  8)
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Garibaldi

Just thought I'd share this little missive I recieved this morning. Since I have nothing to hide, I submit it here for your amusement:

Im not intimidated by your threat that i know for a fact you cannot make good on, i don't care who you call, you cannot have my career ended unless you make faulty allegations which wouldn't be very cap of you and would not get you far, you might want to focus on your squadron instead of making empty threats on the internet which by the way is in violation of CAPR 110-1 if that means anything to you. do it again and i will report you to the inspector general.

Perhaps I should quit now and spare him the trouble. I am literally shaking in my shoes. An IG call? Ok, I'm packing it in. I quit.

THRAWN

Great Scott. Even in his private threat messages he can't spell goodly. I am bored. I will just send the thread to his wing.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NC Hokie

Quote from: THRAWN on July 01, 2014, 02:18:44 PM
Great Scott. Even in his private threat messages he can't spell goodly. I am bored. I will just send the thread to his wing.
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that his squadron commander announced his presence (and was ignored by the OP) in Reply #81 here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19042.msg349385#msg349385
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy