navy blue background

Started by 8416w, June 22, 2014, 05:14:27 AM

8416w

I am a new CAP senior member and I am planning to wear the blue BDU's.  I know that the recent 39-1 "draft" has stated that the background to embroidered rank and name tapes will be navy blue. Should I go ahead and use navy blue background insignia or stay with ultra marine blue insignia? Also, should I leave the US flag off of the sleeve?  I have read through some of the post about the 39-1 "draft" that have me a little confused.

Eclipse

Until something new is published, you should comply with the current regulations.

Even assuming things change (which at this point one should not) there will be a
prolonged wear-out period for the current configuration.

Since the whites (or blues) are required anyway, and were not likely to change much,
and the gold shirt combo is inexpensive, you might be better off sticking with those
until things stabilize.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

gold shirt? ;)
That would look.. like puke.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

That would be the Gray Poop-on.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on June 22, 2014, 05:31:38 AM
gold shirt? ;)

No, he would look like Capt Kirk on the second season of Star Trek! >:D

8416w

Thank you for the information and the Star Trek analogies. The yellowy-mustard colored shirt would be great for hot dog and hamburger night!  ;) I think I will hold out for a little while and see what the "published" 39-1 will say.

PHall

Quote from: 8416w on June 22, 2014, 12:58:04 PM
Thank you for the information and the Star Trek analogies. The yellowy-mustard colored shirt would be great for hot dog and hamburger night!  ;) I think I will hold out for a little while and see what the "published" 39-1 will say.

Good move.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on June 22, 2014, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: a2capt on June 22, 2014, 05:31:38 AM
gold shirt? ;)

No, he would look like Capt Kirk on the second season of Star Trek! >:D

You mean his "wraparound" getup where it fastened at the waist with his Starfleet insignia?

That always looked like hork-up green to me.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Luis R. Ramos

Look at it this way...

Wearing a gold shirt may make members more visible when doing ES work...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 22, 2014, 07:50:48 PM
Look at it this way...

Wearing a gold shirt may make members more visible when doing ES work...

You're thinking of a RED shirt...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

No, I was thinking of a gold shirt.

It will sparkle, reflecting light.

It will be uncomfortable as heck, and expensive as well.

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 22, 2014, 08:21:28 PM

Yes, but the red shirts are...well, expendable....
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Tim Medeiros

At least until the mid 2300s or so (don't recall the phase in date of that uniform), then it was the gold shirts  ;)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 22, 2014, 09:13:34 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 22, 2014, 08:21:28 PM

Yes, but the red shirts are...well, expendable....

Ah yeah, Red means you're Dead!

lordmonar

Lt Redundant and Ensign Expendable Report to Transporter Room One for away team mission!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

8416w

Well since this has turned into a Star Trek uniform discussion, my favorite uniform is the red "Next Generation" dress mess uniform (with stand up collar) used for weddings and dignitary visits.  ::)

SarDragon

A couple of months ago, I went shopping for some "gold" formal wear accessories, and most of what I found was listed as mustard color, and made from a satin fabric. There was nothing out there with any metallic appearance to it. It looked enough like gold to fit my requirements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

Mela_007

Getting back to the original question, I think waiting is the best idea as well. 

I noticed shortly after the draft 39-1 came out, Vanguard began carrying items mentioned in the draft (i.e. dark blue background rank).  Plus at the same time they did not have the female floppy bow, as required for long sleeve G/W.  They have a female (bow tie) now, but it was missing for a while.  And I must need to re-read the 39-1, I do not remember there ever being an option for the Regimental female bow tie...however, that may be listed in uniform sections that I am not currently wearing so I overlooked it.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

arajca

Actually, the dark blue background grade insignia is currently authorized for the dark blue flight suit and utility uniforms.

Mela_007

Oops, my bad.  Thanks for the clarification.

EmLyn

Quote from: Panache on June 23, 2014, 08:39:52 AM

Ohhh, is that a shirt for purchase somewhere?  My husband would love it for his collection.

a2capt

Think Geek :)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9722/

... and hmmm.. ;)

This one has made me wonder .. how long it would take someone to notice... ;)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1d50/

Gold, er, mustard .. ;)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1135/

Eclipse

One letter brought so much joy to so many, I am humbled...

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2014, 10:13:23 PM
One letter brought so much joy to so many, I am humbled...

That'll teach you to proofread your posts, Bob.  Nyah-ah-ahhhh!   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

GroundHawg

I once used the word duel instead of dual and the thread became one about sword fighting and pistols. Not many would have gotten my Burr/Hamilton reference so I let it die. :(

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 24, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
I once used the word duel instead of dual and the thread became one about sword fighting and pistols. Not many would have gotten my Burr/Hamilton reference so I let it die. :(

(Yosemite Sam voice)

"SUH!  You have insulted me and the honour of my family, from myself down to my twelfth cousin twice removed!  Now you shall answer for it!  Pistols at twenty paces, turn and fire!"

I have auto-spellcheck disabled on my computer.  If there's a word where I'm in doubt about the spelling, there are loads of places where one can look it up online.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

supertigerCH

Hi everyone...

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be conflicting information in the new 39-1  ...regarding if CAP members will use dark blue (Navy blue) for name tapes, CAP tapes, and cloth rank?

In particular... compare what is stated on pages 67, 70, and 71.  Then compare that to what is stated (and shown) on page 125.

For the past year or so... it has been expected that those things might change from ultramarine blue... to becoming dark blue (navy blue) like what is used on the CAP flight suit.  I know the answer to this might depend on if we are talking about the BDU or the BBDU.  However, the conflicting information is still there.

now that the long awaited 39-1 has been released... we see that there is conflicting information.

ideas anyone?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Yeah, it almost makes no sense. Why would CAPM 39-1 allow grade insignias with navy blue background on the collar of the BBDU, but require ultramarine background for the name and Civil Air Patrol tapes?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 18, 2014, 01:47:41 PM
Yeah, it almost makes no sense. Why would CAPM 39-1 allow grade insignias with navy blue background on the collar of the BBDU, but require ultramarine background for the name and Civil Air Patrol tapes?

I think it was their original intention to go with dark blue tapes but shelved it when they realized it would make the BBDU too similar to the Coast Guard Auxiliary's ODU blouse. Granted, the Coastie ODU does have the CG emblem embroidered on the shirt pocket. Just my opinion, which doesn't count for much.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 18, 2014, 01:52:08 PM
Granted, the Coastie ODU does have the CG emblem embroidered on the shirt pocket. Just my opinion, which doesn't count for much.  ;D

Which accounts for a great deal, actually.

I fail as well to see the logic in this - allowing navy blue for grade insignia, but retaining ultramarine for tapes.

What is even more illogical and perplexing is that metal grade insignia is allowed on the BBDU cap, when to even suggest it for any other piece of cloth is anathema.

I live in a city with a CG station and cutter, so I see Coasties (and Auxies) fairly often.  I would not mistake them-for-us or us-for-them but I see how the general public might, that is if they cannot read.

To be 100% distinctive and unique regarding uniforms is not possible.  Someone else will always be wearing a similar uniform; in the case of BBDU's, LEO's (though theirs are probably more often black, and with body armour) and some EMT/Fire services wear blue working dress.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

supertigerCH

Our good friend Ned (who posted in the other thread where I originally asked about this)...

has offered to take this question up with the NUC.  many thanks to him for doing this.  Hopefully we will get some clarity about it soon.

Garp

para 1.2.3.9 states text trumps images...text says ultramarine for the tapes, grade and insignia.

Quote from: supertigerCH on July 18, 2014, 07:48:09 AM

Hi everyone...

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be conflicting information in the new 39-1  ...regarding if CAP members will use dark blue (Navy blue) for name tapes, CAP tapes, and cloth rank?

In particular... compare what is stated on pages 67, 70, and 71.  Then compare that to what is stated (and shown) on page 125.

For the past year or so... it has been expected that those things might change from ultramarine blue... to becoming dark blue (navy blue) like what is used on the CAP flight suit.  I know the answer to this might depend on if we are talking about the BDU or the BBDU.  However, the conflicting information is still there.

now that the long awaited 39-1 has been released... we see that there is conflicting information.

ideas anyone?

Mela_007

I noticed the text says ultramarine, so I am sticking with ultramarine on my BBDU until it is clarified for navy blue background.

supertigerCH

good call.  i would say that's the best course of action for everyone...

until this is re-presented in a way that is 100% clear.

AirAux

Anyhow, back to the gold/mustard shirt.  Does anyone remember the joke about the young boy named Mustard that cursed all the time?  His mother told him she would lock him in his upstairs bedroom the next time he swore.   He did, she did.  After a while Mustard started screaming that he really had to go to the bathroom.  After an hour of this his mother told him to do it out the window.  The next thing she  heard was the door bell ringing.  She opened the door to see the mailman standing there covered in grey poopon.  She screamed, "Oh my God Mustard!"  And the mailman said. "Lady, this ain't mustard and it came from that window up there."  This is a very old, third or fourth grade joke, I can't remember.  I return you to your normal radio listening at this time.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AirAux on July 22, 2014, 04:20:35 PM
Anyhow, back to the gold/mustard shirt.  Does anyone remember the joke about the young boy named Mustard that cursed all the time?  His mother told him she would lock him in his upstairs bedroom the next time he swore.   He did, she did.  After a while Mustard started screaming that he really had to go to the bathroom.  After an hour of this his mother told him to do it out the window.  The next thing she  heard was the door bell ringing.  She opened the door to see the mailman standing there covered in grey poopon.  She screamed, "Oh my God Mustard!"  And the mailman said. "Lady, this ain't mustard and it came from that window up there."  This is a very old, third or fourth grade joke, I can't remember.  I return you to your normal radio listening at this time.

Urgh. ::)

I hadn't heard that one.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011