Main Menu

NESA 2014 Attendees

Started by BFreemanMA, June 12, 2014, 05:34:19 PM

BFreemanMA

Hello everyone,

I've signed up for NESA's MAS for their scanner short course I. I figured it would be interesting to see if anyone else from CT will be at NESA. Anybody else signed up for MAS, GSAR, or ICSS? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Alaric

Quote from: BFreemanMA on June 12, 2014, 05:34:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I've signed up for NESA's MAS for their scanner short course I. I figured it would be interesting to see if anyone else from CT will be at NESA. Anybody else signed up for MAS, GSAR, or ICSS? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

I will be in the ICSS school for 2nd week

Capt_Redfox30

I hopefully will be attending the MAS for Scanner and Photographer during the first week.  My application is still pending, but the MAS Commandant is my Wings Vice Commander, he said that he will create another slot for me if necessary.  ;D 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Panzerbjorn

Not from CT, but I'll be at MAS as Staff.  I'll either be working Air Ops or one of the Instructors. 

You're going to have a blast!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panache

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 12, 2014, 07:52:02 PM
Not from CT, but I'll be at MAS as Staff.  I'll either be working Air Ops or one of the Instructors. 

You know, I thought he meant "CAPTalk", but now I wonder if he meant "Connecticut".

GrimReaper

If you are asking from "CapTalk" I'll be attending MAS.  Week 1: Scanner, aerial photographer   Week 2:  Observer course

BFreemanMA

Errr...yes. Of course I meant CAPTalk...CT certainly isn't the postal abbreviation for Connecticut at all... </sarcasm>

Sorry about the miscom. Grim and Panzer, looks like we'll be working together directly!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

Luis R. Ramos

I am lost... CT is the USPS abbreviation for Connecticut. And if you did not mean for that message to be taken seriously, the word /sarcasm at the end does not indicate so.

See https://www.usps.com/send/official-abbreviations.htm
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

BFreemanMA

Luis, the </sarcasm> is a terrible HTML joke indicating that the sarcasm was done. I was attempting to indicate that I was making fun of myself for not communicating clearly. I apologize for the confusion, but I did, in fact, mean to refer to CAPTalk.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

GrimReaper

MAS Course Question:
Should I bring my laptop for the MS/AP and Observer courses that I'm attending next month?

Panache

Quote from: GrimReaper on June 25, 2014, 06:15:16 PM
MAS Course Question:
Should I bring my laptop for the MS/AP and Observer courses that I'm attending next month?

Not going, but I'm kind of curious about this as well.

Alaric

Quote from: Panache on July 01, 2014, 04:36:34 AM
Quote from: GrimReaper on June 25, 2014, 06:15:16 PM
MAS Course Question:

Not going, but I'm kind of curious about this as well.

I found it useful when I went through the course especially the AP course as I did not have to wait to process pictures

GrimReaper

I guess it won't hurt bringing it,  I can just lock it away in my vehicle if it is not needed.  One of my concerns is if I do take it to the Columbus airport what do I do with it while I'm up in the air.  Is there CAP staff on the premises while the students are flying?

Alaric

Quote from: GrimReaper on July 01, 2014, 11:56:22 AM
I guess it won't hurt bringing it,  I can just lock it away in my vehicle if it is not needed.  One of my concerns is if I do take it to the Columbus airport what do I do with it while I'm up in the air.  Is there CAP staff on the premises while the students are flying?

Yes, but they do not take responsibility for your items, they are usually occupied with their own duties.  That being said, no one comes into the area (the downstairs staging area) except other staff and students.

GrimReaper

Panzerbjorn

A laptop would be useful for you in a variety of cases.  The only thing that they'll tell people is to close their laptops and put away their smartphones is during the death by PowerPoint presentations.  But we've done things like load G1000 simulators on laptops, download pertinent CAP documents or Aircrew Inflight Guides, or design the all-important class patches.

The basement at the BAK FBO is a pretty secure location.  As said before, only NESA MAS staff and students will be going through there.  It's the operations center.  If you're REALLY worried about it, come find me in Air Ops in the little room next to the FBO entrance and next to the stairs.  We can toss it in a corner and it'll be fine in there with us.

Be sure to bring extra cash or credit card.  The restaurant in the FBO is excellent, and you'll definitely want a break from NESA chow at some point.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on July 01, 2014, 05:05:59 PM
Be sure to bring extra cash or credit card.  The restaurant in the FBO is excellent, and you'll definitely want a break from NESA chow at some point.

Try being a GSAR staffer, you usually don't have enough time to taste it :P.

It's still a million times better than when the Army was cooking.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 01, 2014, 05:15:02 PM

I am perfectly content in my khaki shorts and t shirt running air ops in an air conditioned room, thank you very much!  As I get older, I start to appreciate leaving he foxholes far behind. :)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Garibaldi

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on July 01, 2014, 07:05:44 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 01, 2014, 05:15:02 PM

I am perfectly content in my khaki shorts and t shirt running air ops in an air conditioned room, thank you very much!  As I get older, I start to appreciate leaving he foxholes far behind. :)

It's funny, as a GTL, all I wanted to do was move up to GBD, and now, I just wanted to stay as GTL because MB was only fun while GTs were cycling in and out, and doing debriefs. In the middle? Not so much. Caught up on some sleep.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things