Main Menu

New 39-1

Started by capmaj, June 04, 2014, 01:50:27 PM

capmaj

So how's that newly released 39-1 working out for everyone?  Oh no, wait...................    >:D :)

NIN

Quote from: capmaj on June 04, 2014, 01:50:27 PM
So how's that newly released 39-1 working out for everyone?  Oh no, wait...................    >:D :)

Time waits for no CAP-USAF....

(ETA: http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/CAPUSAF/  I'm sure there is contact info on that page. Why don't you give them a call and ask what's taking so long. We'll wait, please report back how you do. [Note: I am not suggesting you REALLY call CAP-USAF] -NIN)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Panache

"Ask the National Commander."

Eclipse

Funny - search is your friend, seriously.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

I have it on good authority that the new 39-1 will be released the 11th of June, 201
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JeffDG

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 04, 2014, 02:51:53 PM
I have it on good authority that the new 39-1 will be released the 11th of June, 201
Interesting omission at the end there.

Angus

Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Luis R. Ramos

By omiting the last digit he will be correct if it is published anytime up to 2019... If it is (finally) published in or after 2020 he will be wrong...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2014, 02:59:30 PM

Rats, I didn't mean to put the 1 there.

James Shaw

That is Stardate year 2039-1
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

a2capt

I knew this thread would be another like the gambling man topic.. it had too -FEW- replies for there to have been a release.

Panache

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 04, 2014, 03:20:42 PM
By omiting the last digit he will be correct if it is published anytime up to 2019... If it is (finally) published in or after 2020 he will be wrong...

Great.  Now I gotta start a new poll.

Angus

Quote from: Panache on June 04, 2014, 03:52:01 PM

Only if the poll is will it come out before the end of the decade.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Garibaldi

Quote from: Angus on June 04, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

Do you honestly expect this document to roll out any sooner than 2020? We've been clamoring for it since the last ICL, probably even before.

a2capt

Interestingly, all the scuttlebutt that came out of the recent NSC .. doesn't seem to have much about 39-1, other than "here's why we didn't actually submit for the ABU", which I'm not even sure what to believe there. There has been no real news release other than congressional bantering about "1" uniform, and there were times when you were pretty much convinced that NHQ had in fact submitted, or at least was past the inquiry stage.

I mean, heck, putting up that slide show at the last national conference, dedicating a portion of the general assembly to the subject, having the 39-1 drafters put in place holders and even working other related changes into that proposal based on that expected change ..

Then to come out and say "No, we're not going to."

..and hearing everything from "cadets will be in one uniform, others will be in something else"..

Maybe we need to just go back to the moratorium era.

Angus

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 04, 2014, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: Angus on June 04, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

Do you honestly expect this document to roll out any sooner than 2020? We've been clamoring for it since the last ICL, probably even before.

True, but we've at least seen a draft which is more than we've seen in a long time.  So there's some glimmer of hope.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NIN

I have just consulted my crystal ball ( the one that looks suspiciously  like a "Magic 8 ball" )....

Friday the 13th. Plus/minus 2 days. 2 business days that is.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on June 05, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
I have just consulted my crystal ball ( the one that looks suspiciously  like a "Magic 8 ball" )....
You mean the CDG.....Command Decision Generator!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2014, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: NIN on June 05, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
You mean the CDG.....Command Decision Generator!  :)

The very same
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Devil Doc

OMG!!! i just had an Epiphany!!

Our G/W combo looks like the Rowan County Veterans Honor Guard, and even they have a Blue Jacket Combo!! WOW.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rowan-County-Veterans-Honor-Guard/463403923743722
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Panache

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 05, 2014, 04:59:55 PM

Our G/W combo looks like the Rowan County Veterans Honor Guard, and even they have a Blue Jacket Combo!! WOW.

But they got cool hats.  I want a cool hat.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Panache on June 05, 2014, 05:04:51 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on June 05, 2014, 04:59:55 PM

It also looks a little bit like West Point uniforms...except they have actual uniform pants, and, of course, a cap.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Fezzes are cool.

Brit_in_CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on June 06, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on June 06, 2014, 01:28:53 PM

Fezzes are cool.

...as are bow ties... >:D

Probably one of only a half dozen British TV shows that made it in the US :)

Garibaldi

Stetsons were cool...for a minute.

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 06, 2014, 01:54:15 PM

But then when your wife shoots the hat off your head......... :)

For all the physics majors, yes I know that is physically impossible. 

lordmonar

Quote from: LSThiker on June 06, 2014, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on June 06, 2014, 01:54:15 PM

But then when your wife shoots the hat off your head......... :)

For all the physics majors, yes I know that is physically impossible.
Really???????    That's the glaring violation of physics in Dr. Who that draws your ire?  :)

IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE!  :)

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2014, 02:03:51 PMReally???????    That's the glaring violation of physics in Dr. Who that draws your ire?  :)

Actually, it is smaller on the outside :)

THRAWN

Quote from: LSThiker on June 06, 2014, 01:43:01 PM

Fezzes are cool.

I don't know, there were quite a few good ones, aside from the good Doctor....Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By (with the lovely Dame Judith Dench...), Ballykissangel, Absolutely Fabulous (even after seeing the entire series a few times, it's still a riot), Are You Being Served, and then of course all of the shows the Americans "adapted" (read "stole the idea for"): The Office (I nearly had an asthma attack from laughing at the BBC version...and I don't have asthma), the Gordon Ramsay catalog, Shameless....the list goes on....and I apparently watch too much television....

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

Quote from: LSThiker on June 06, 2014, 02:08:08 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2014, 02:03:51 PMReally???????    That's the glaring violation of physics in Dr. Who that draws your ire?  :)

Actually, it is smaller on the outside :)
Only if you like souffle.  :)

capmaj

Let's add boonie caps!  Oh, Oh!  I used the B-word.   ;)

THRAWN

Quote from: capmaj on June 06, 2014, 04:11:14 PM
Let's add boonie caps!  Oh, Oh!  I used the B-word.   ;)

Much better than berets, or the GW service cap...er...I mean, ball cap....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AlphaSigOU

And on the day when the new CAPM 39-1 is released to the raggedy-assed masses...
http://youtu.be/-7aIf1YnbbU
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2014, 02:36:27 PM
Only if you like souffle.  :)

Well do not exactly like soufflés, but she can still come over :)

lordmonar

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: THRAWN on June 06, 2014, 02:24:55 PM

Fezzes are cool.

I don't know, there were quite a few good ones, aside from the good Doctor....Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By (with the lovely Dame Judith Dench...), Ballykissangel, Absolutely Fabulous (even after seeing the entire series a few times, it's still a riot), Are You Being Served, and then of course all of the shows the Americans "adapted" (read "stole the idea for"): The Office (I nearly had an asthma attack from laughing at the BBC version...and I don't have asthma), the Gordon Ramsay catalog, Shameless....the list goes on....and I apparently watch too much television....

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

Don't forget Benny Hill, Torchwood, Orphan Black and dare I say it... Downton Abbey.

(Sorry I think Michelle Dockery is so hot!)

And Fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

RickRutledge

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

You completely left out 'Keeping Up Appearances.'

BUCKET RESIDENCE......That's Bouquet
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

SarDragon

One mustn't forget "Jeeves and Wooster", with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

Speaking of 39-1. New National Staff Badge from Vanguard arrived in mail today. Now just waiting for 39-1 publication.
Jim Shaw

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RickRutledge on June 12, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

I worked at a PBS station.  I could watch "KUA" until the sun burns out.

Poor Dickie...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: capsafety on June 13, 2014, 12:41:31 AM
Speaking of 39-1. New National Staff Badge from Vanguard arrived in mail today. Now just waiting for 39-1 publication.

Wow - talk about the cart before the horse.

Nothing publicly approved, but the vendor is already making new insignia.

So how does one go about ordering something which is neither publicly available, nor approved for wear?

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on June 13, 2014, 03:36:35 AM
So how does one go about ordering something which is neither publicly available, nor approved for wear?

That's a good question.  It's not listed on V's website, that's for sure.

About six weeks ago, I sent them an email asking if I could get a CAPCom patch without the hook for my flight suit.  I got a reply that since that was in the draft 39-1, and it wasn't published yet, they weren't authorized to do so.

a2capt

Authorization depends on who's asking. Ironic that they seem concerned, yet they go willy-nilly and make other stuff. Whatever.

NIN

To be fair to the Big V, they have to start making insignia at some point. 

Apparently the National Staff badge was designed & approved some time ago, and its implementation, unlike that of, say, ABUs, was never really in question.  Its not like "hey, the National Staff Badge is in the January draft, but magically disappeared from the March draft.  Hey, Tommy, call the guys up in Rhode Island and have 'em quit stamping those 2000 badges..."

Someone said to Vanguard at some point "OK, this is definitely going to be a thing once all the admin sign offs are done. Start making them so we have them."

Or would you rather they said "Oh, no, we can't make and sell this until it is duly authorized and published"?

Because then, everybody would complain mightily that Vanguard sucks eggs cuz they're not ready with all the new changes the day the reg hits the street. And I'm pretty sure that it takes more than say 30 days to go from "here's a drawing of our badge" to "here are badges for sale."

As for ordering, well, I bet an email went around to the National Staff saying something to the effect of "OK, get 'em while they're hot. SKU OMG-2-KOOL, $18.50.  The boss wants everybody on staff wearing them at National Board, so get going."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

James Shaw

The process for this was actually started in 2009. It has gone under several revisions and was approved several years ago. It had been in limbo due to the change in Governance and other Committee work.

This is a controlled item as directed by NHQ and you have to call them to order. You have to provide proof of National Staff status.

There was a reference to it in the draft version of 39-1.
Jim Shaw

Panache

Quote from: capsafety on June 13, 2014, 10:03:46 AM
This is a controlled item as directed by NHQ and you have to call them to order. You have to provide proof of National Staff status.

There was a reference to it in the draft version of 39-1.

That being said, it is an awfully spiffy insignia.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CyBorg on June 13, 2014, 03:20:38 AM

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

Poor Dickie...

Yeah...my children still like watching that even after we moved to the USA.  As children, they would look sideways at me and them mention how much Hyacinth reminded them of Grandma... ;)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on June 13, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on June 13, 2014, 03:20:38 AM

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

Poor Dickie...

Yeah...my children still like watching that even after we moved to the USA.  As children, they would look sideways at me and them mention how much Hyacinth reminded them of Grandma... ;)

Notify the press. Yet another uniform topic suffered thread drift!

Also, Rik Mayall, of The Young Ones fame and former husband of Jennifer Saunders (French and Saunders, AbFab) died this week.

Checotah

I discovered that my interpretation of the current polo shirt/pants combination specification was incorrect.  I thought the current specification, when calling for "commercial slacks/trousers", meant dress slacks.  Obviously, in reading some of the posts hereon it does not; many are apparently wearing utility pants, such as tacticals, which, of course, turns the combination into more of a work uniform than I envisioned.  When reading the proposed 39-1 revision, it actually clarifies this use by grouping it in the "Corporate-style Field Uniform" section and calling out "Tactical or 'Chinos' style" as options.  The seemingly disconnect then comes when "plain black dress shoe, dress boot.." are specified (along with "combat boots").  The current regs simply call for "Black shoes..." (not "black dress shoes"). 

I realize this new version is draft only at this point, and who knows what it will eventually specify when/if it is approved, but it just seems like there are opposing directions being taken for the pants and the footear. 
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

NorCal21

Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2014, 02:59:30 PM

Well, hindsight is 20/20 but I would venture to say that whoever your "good authority" is was wrong. Still says 12 Mar 12.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: shuman14 on June 06, 2014, 06:10:22 PM

Fezzes are cool.

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

Don't forget Benny Hill, Torchwood, Orphan Black and dare I say it... Downton Abbey.

And Fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

I've watched the entire run of MI6/Spooks at least once on Netflix. Impressive that Peter Firth lasted the entire run given the number of actors they went through.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 15, 2014, 08:52:55 AM

Quote from: shuman14 on June 06, 2014, 06:10:22 PM

Fezzes are cool.

And fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

And Fezzes are cool.

And so are bow ties.

I've watched the entire run of MI6/Spooks at least once on Netflix. Impressive that Peter Firth lasted the entire run given the number of actors they went through.

Correction: MI-5 - Tapatalk won't let me edit.

Devil Doc

How about Top Gear or Doctor Who?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

JeffDG

Rules are for the little people.

The Echelons-Above-Reality needn't worry themselves about "publicly available"