Senior Member D&C and Customs/Courtesies.

Started by antdetroitwallyball, March 16, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

EMT-83

Level 1 was always an in-person class, except for the lazy people doing it wrong. Hopefully that mindset will change with the new program.

Walkman

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 19, 2014, 03:31:13 PM
Level 1 was always an in-person class, except for the lazy people doing it wrong. Hopefully that mindset will change with the new program.

Level 1 has been self-pace, open book since I started in '07.

EMT-83

Level 1 was never supposed to be Do It Yourself. Because the material was readily available, squadrons got lazy and took a hands-off approach. Someone was supposed to mentoring the new member, filling in the blanks and making sure the material was understood. Commanders were supposed to be conducting a Summary Conversation. Based on the general cluelessness of many new members, apparently none of this was taking place.

The new program is better, actually assigning the PDO as the instructor. But there still the opportunity to log into eServices and click on mentor approval without the new member actually having a clue. I guess time will tell.

Walkman

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 19, 2014, 04:36:00 PM
Level 1 was never supposed to be Do It Yourself. Because the material was readily available, squadrons got lazy and took a hands-off approach. Someone was supposed to mentoring the new member, filling in the blanks and making sure the material was understood. Commanders were supposed to be conducting a Summary Conversation. Based on the general cluelessness of many new members, apparently none of this was taking place.

The new program is better, actually assigning the PDO as the instructor. But there still the opportunity to log into eServices and click on mentor approval without the new member actually having a clue. I guess time will tell.

Its funny how things are carried forward over time. My first unit was pretty solid, the SMs that were there was dedicated and did a good job. However the CC was absent, pretty much all the time and ended up being 2b (whole 'nother story). I did L1 pretty much all on my own and by that being my experience, I carried that practice with me until the new regs mandated a class. I had heard the L1 used to be a class and several older members at the time lamented it going the "self-study" route, and I agreed it would have been better. I was ready to jump in and do some "real training" to be an "officer" and was disappointed in L1. When I did OBC, I thought "I wish this was what the Level 1 course was". But that's a whole nother thread...

MacGruff

Quote from: Walkman on March 19, 2014, 08:18:41 PM
Its funny how things are carried forward over time. My first unit was pretty solid, the SMs that were there was dedicated and did a good job. However the CC was absent, pretty much all the time and ended up being 2b (whole 'nother story). I did L1 pretty much all on my own and by that being my experience, I carried that practice with me until the new regs mandated a class. I had heard the L1 used to be a class and several older members at the time lamented it going the "self-study" route, and I agreed it would have been better. I was ready to jump in and do some "real training" to be an "officer" and was disappointed in L1. When I did OBC, I thought "I wish this was what the Level 1 course was". But that's a whole nother thread...

I'm in complete agreement with you as my experiences mirrored yours. I signed up and was never told to do anything except for get on e-services and do the OpSec class. By playing around on e-services I found the information about Level 1 and took all of the training. Once I finished everything, I had to pretty much hound the folks at the squadron to get me the Membership ribbon and stuff.

I started on Level 2 almost immediately after finishing Level 1 and took the Office Basic Course. Wow! What an eye opener!!! It had answers in those modules to all the questions that I've been attempting to find someone to ask!

In my opinion, Office Basic Course should be moved to Level 1, or, at the very least, become a prerequisite for the promotion to 2nd Lieutenant!

Archer

Quote from: SarDragon on March 17, 2014, 07:48:47 AM
Quote from: Archer on March 17, 2014, 06:04:19 AM
Quote from: a2capt on March 17, 2014, 04:29:39 AM[redacted}

If I'm paying to be taught something that requires simple precision such as drill, I would expect you to be able to exhibit precision in something equally as simple such as properly abreviating abbreviating your grade. A minor error, but enough to make me weary of giving someone my money to teach precision with attention to detail.

And I suggest that you get your own house in order before trying to clean others'. This is one of those unintended consequences - the more important "getting it right" is in a post, the greater the likelihood of making a misteak mistake.

I done goofed.

My hypocrisy notwithstanding, thanks for clearing up the colonel's credentials, people.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MacGruff on March 20, 2014, 12:54:06 AM
When I did OBC, I thought "I wish this was what the Level 1 course was". But that's a whole nother thread...

I started on Level 2 almost immediately after finishing Level 1 and took the Office Basic Course. Wow! What an eye opener!!! It had answers in those modules to all the questions that I've been attempting to find someone to ask!

In my opinion, Office Basic Course should be moved to Level 1, or, at the very least, become a prerequisite for the promotion to 2nd Lieutenant!

Indeed!

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 20, 2014, 03:04:54 AM
Quote from: MacGruff on March 20, 2014, 12:54:06 AM
When I did OBC, I thought "I wish this was what the Level 1 course was". But that's a whole nother thread...

Indeed!

Quite so! :clap:

Back when I joined in 1993, before I was even half-way through my "six-month-wonder" period for second looie, a huge package of books showed up in my mailbox.

It was the old ECI-13 course.  My unit CC had enrolled me as soon as he was able to.

Of course, I did not have to complete it for 2nd Lieutenant, but I do not think it would be the worst idea to require completion of OBC before getting butter-bars.

If anything, it might show just who is committed to working the programme and who isn't.

Again, I cite the USNSCC requirement that a member serve for at least a year before being considered for Ensign.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011