Crossing the Line: BDU Preparation

Started by Archer, March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 16, 2014, 10:46:47 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 02:19:56 PM
I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.

Similar idea here, I have meeting/encampment uniforms and mission/outdoor training uniforms.  When I was an active duty Army C-4 slinger, I had crisp/shined uniforms for wear on base and clean/serviceable uniforms for wear in the field, so its just habit.
Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them.  I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Our cadets maintain their BDUs (not a required uniform after all) as clean and serviceable.  Works for me. 

Like Garibaldi, being principally involved with the CP I ensure that my own appearance is an appropriate example to my cadets.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 17, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.

Similar idea here, I have meeting/encampment uniforms and mission/outdoor training uniforms.  When I was an active duty Army C-4 slinger, I had crisp/shined uniforms for wear on base and clean/serviceable uniforms for wear in the field, so its just habit.
Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them. I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Our cadets maintain their BDUs (not a required uniform after all) as clean and serviceable.  Works for me. 

Like Garibaldi, being principally involved with the CP I ensure that my own appearance is an appropriate example to my cadets.

Yip.  I had that issue as a cadet.  I had a Cadet Commander who, lets just say money was not an issue, and had brand spankin' new everything... with multiple sets of everything.  Started getting on cadets who's hand-me-down leathers were a little worn maybe wearing a serviceable, but used blues shirt...  Started encouraging cadets to get jobs to buy new uniforms.  By encouraging..... I mean, "You won't be on staff unless you have brand new uniforms". 

I had several cadets in my Sq when I was the DCC who's parents probably couldnt afford the gas to just get them to CAP.  Even if your uniform is old and worn, I can still see whether or not you take pride in it. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
You couldn't bring a couple fresh ones?  Seems like 5 days in the same duds would make you look like a sack of taters

I agree. When I was a MP in the Marines I had a fresh shirt everyday. Marines who got meritorious promotions did, and those who wore the same uniform shirt everyday did not. Even in CAP at RSC, I had a fresh shirt everyday.  8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2014, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 17, 2014, 03:10:27 PM

Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them. I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Yip.  I had that issue as a cadet.  I had a Cadet Commander who, lets just say money was not an issue, and had brand spankin' new everything... with multiple sets of everything.  Started getting on cadets who's hand-me-down leathers were a little worn maybe wearing a serviceable, but used blues shirt...  Started encouraging cadets to get jobs to buy new uniforms.  By encouraging..... I mean, "You won't be on staff unless you have brand new uniforms". 

I had several cadets in my Sq when I was the DCC who's parents probably couldnt afford the gas to just get them to CAP.  Even if your uniform is old and worn, I can still see whether or not you take pride in it.

Let me qualify what I said. While I have several sets of uniforms and boots, I in NO WAY encourage or even suggest that a cadet go out and buy or obtain multiple uniforms, items, or equipment. I even tell the cadets I better not hear "but my kid said Major Estes said I HAVE TO HAVE ALL THIS STUFF NOW!!!" from their parents because I understand not everyone has eleventy thousand dollars to spend on CAP. Everything I have, I have purchased over the years. It's taken me quite some time to amass what I do have. I rarely buy brand new and have found a lot of good stuff in the "$10 or less" bin at a surplus shop I used to frequent. I never, not once ever, will request a cadet replace what s/he is wearing if nothing else is available or they can't afford it. It is what it is. And the requests I hear from the cadre or staff are along the same lines. But, as Brit said, take pride in what you DO have. And that's the message I hope to convey.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brit_in_CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on March 15, 2014, 10:48:35 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PMI'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).
Thats it. Wash, remove from water, use the shower head with warm water to rinse one more time, and hang to dry.  They come out flat, nearly ironed looking. Done.

Ah, I've been meaning to talk to you about that.   ;)

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Archer

Quote from: Pylon on March 18, 2014, 01:16:42 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on March 16, 2014, 02:45:37 PM
http://www.cadetstuff.org/you-are-only-as-sharp-as-your-creases/

In case it was missed, this article answers the OP's question.  :clap:

I actually read that article a few years ago and have ever since made it required reading for subordinate colleagues.

I was trying to actually get a feel for the justification that those who do dress to 9's in their BDU's believe in. I figure that hundreds of thousands of people can't be totally baseless.

inb4 Nazi's.

tribalelder

Fabric makes a difference- poly cotton blend and nyco can wash and wear; all cotton - not so much- needs ironing.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Spartan

For me, it all depends on what I will be doing.  If I intend to spend serious time (>48 hours) in the "field" I don't starch, polish to a mirror shine, or bother with boot blousers.  I keep my boots black and brush shined, and I maintain the serviceability of my uniform by fixing tears and rips when I can.  There is a level of practicality that comes with either common sense or experience when it comes to how much effort you put into your uniform. 

As with 99% of things in CAP, that level of effort depends on the situation.  At a minimum, my uniforms are all ironed, except the polo shirt since it hasn't wrinkled yet and properly assembled with the minimum pieces of flair.  If I am involved in recruiting or in a mission base job where I am in the public eye, I make sure my uniform is creased and at least lightly starched, and that my boots are buffed to a high shine.  If I am leading a ground team, I am not going to put my "inspection ready" set of BDU's on.  I will also not look like I saved the day by jumping on a wrinkle bomb.

When it comes down to it, properly assembled, wrinkle free, blackened and brushed, free of loose threads and not faded to khaki or threadbare is the standard.  If I am inspecting a cadet's uniform, that warrants satisfactory.  They meet the standard.  Should the cadet choose to go beyond that standard and press, starch until their uniform stands on its own, shine until their boots double as signal mirrors, and are generally uncomfortable, it is up to them.  Just because their uniform is not to that level of OCD preparation, does not mean that it doesn't meet the standard.  Remember folks, there is a huge difference between a norm of far beyond the expected appearance and the standard of appearance and uniform care.

NorCal21

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2014, 09:27:08 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PM
I'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).

By far the vast majority of CAP field uniforms never see anything resembling a "field".

I drive by a couple fields on the way to our meetings. Does that count?!  ;D

a2capt

..and if you stop and do a little exploring, take a pause for a while, and dream it's all yours.. you could be "out standing in your field".

D'oh!

Luis R. Ramos

Er, guys, I do not think you should quit your day jobs!

In reality, you did give me an asthma attack... specially that "out standing..." bit!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on June 15, 2014, 11:29:52 PM
..and if you stop and do a little exploring, take a pause for a while, and dream it's all yours.. you could be "out standing in your field".

D'oh!
My father was a long time Boy Scout volunteer and then a Professional Scouter....when he got his Silver Beaver (a big deal for Boy Scout types) the presented him with a larger sized blown up photo of him standing an a field supervising scouts doing scout stuff.....and the caption read  "Bob Harris Out Standing In His Field".   

I love that joke!  :)

Miss you Dad.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM
At what point do you cross the thin(heavily starched) line between properly maintaining your BDU like a disciplined military professional and over doing it to the point that you're not doing much other than displaying to everyone around you that you don't know how that uniform is supposed to be used?

Honor-guard-shined boots?
Razor creases?
Ironing at all?
Shirt-stays(garters) on your undershirt?
Strings(IP) removal?
Boot blousing bands?

Where is the line drawn?

If my blouse couldn't stand up on its own in the corner of the cadet office, it needed more starch. If I couldn't reflect a laser pointer off the boot and onto the ceiling, it needed more polish.

Garibaldi

It's been so long I can't remember if I contributed to this thread or not, but here goes...

For meetings, I have a very nice, new set of BDUs, ironed, (starch is a no-no in the heat and humidity in Georgia) complete with shiny boots. For wet work, I have my disreputable, 15 year old set with my used Goretex boots that are lucky if they see a can of polish heading in the other direction.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things