Crossing the Line: BDU Preparation

Started by Archer, March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Slim

BDUs:  Wash, tumble dry on low heat, remove from dryer and hang up as soon as it's done.  Iron as needed to maintain creases.  I honestly can't remember the last time they needed to be ironed.  On the shirt, pocket flaps and edges are sewn down, and all other pockets and sleeve cuffs are kept buttoned all the time.  No starch, mine are the 65/35 poly cotton blend, so it doesn't really help. 

Boots:  Belleville and Bates ICBs, a little polish and a quick buff as needed (maybe every 3-4 months).  Quick buff in between to knock the dust and loose dirt off.

Blousers: I hate hate hate the cheap elastic bands.  I use a pair of the Raine 1" elastic and velcro bands and blouse right to the top of the boot.  No problems with them digging into my legs, cutting off circulation, or any of the other issues those darned cheapies cause.  I don't remember exactly when I got the set I'm currently using, but it's been at least 10 years, and they're finally getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

Slim

abdsp51

I have used both elastic bands and the cheapies issued in basic.  The best method I have found so far is to run a set of the cheapies through the bottom of the pants cuff and voila instant blouse. 

antdetroitwallyball

I tend to be pretty good about ironing my BDUs before meeting night/field activity, and polishing my boots about once per month. No razor creases or honor-guard level polishing.

To be honest, uniform appearence used to be my weak point. I work at a Coast Guard station a few days per week now (as CGAUX), and once the active duty guys get comfortable around you, they start calling you out on improper uniform stuff............so, because of their influence, my standard has increased (a good thing, obviously). Back when I used to only work around other auxiliarists, it was easy to be lazy and sloppy with one's uniform, as everyone else was the same way.

Interestingly, the senior members in my squadron need a little help with uniforms. Their uniforms are very worn and don't always fit perfectly. Also, their is just a general lack of understanding/knowledge regarding things like, "here's how you actually use blousing bands, etc." The Cadets are pretty good, but that's their thing. Once in a while, we will pull and older cadet with a reputation for being squarded away into our room, and have him/her look us over and give us some help. Cadets get a kick out of that.. :)

Garibaldi

I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 02:19:56 PM
It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.
What exactly are the cadets learning though?   "appearance should be paramount", is that the take home lesson of the cadet program?
Not saying appearance and attention to detail and all that jazz are not important.   But as has been pointed out here a couple of time.....sometimes in CP appearances gets over emphasized.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Archer

Why are BDU's being worn in place of the service uniform?

SarDragon

Quote from: Archer on March 16, 2014, 03:55:03 PM

Some reasons, in no particular order:
Easier to maintain on a week to week basis; less prep involved
More comfortable
Allow more variety in meeting activities
Less costly to replace in the case of some uniform damaging oopsie, and less prone to fatal damage

The 'U' stands for 'Utility', for a good reason.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
What exactly are the cadets learning though?   "appearance should be paramount", is that the take home lesson of the cadet program?
Not saying appearance and attention to detail and all that jazz are not important.   But as has been pointed out here a couple of time.....sometimes in CP appearances gets over emphasized.

Sometimes in CP appearances not backed up by experience gets very overemphasized.

Eclipse

Appearance isn't "paramount", it is an assumption.  A baseline of participation that sets the tone and attitude of the duties you are about to perform.

Considering the distractibility of the adolescent mind, not to mention the "Lowest Common Denominator" mentality of the average person these days. the bar should
be set and left at the highest level possible.  While I agree spending 3 hours shining boots that aren't meant to be shined is silly, the basic appearance standards
should never be downplayed, especially in the CP.

As for the adults.  It's shocking how many these days are seemingly incapable of dressing themselves or even buying clothes that actually fit.

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
Sometimes in CP appearances not backed up by experience gets very overemphasized.

OK, I see that - assuming you're talking about unnecessary plumage, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2014, 07:11:54 PM

Appearance isn't "paramount", it is an assumption.  A baseline of participation that sets the tone and attitude of the duties you are about to perform.

Considering the distractibility of the adolescent mind, not to mention the "Lowest Common Denominator" mentality of the average person these days. the bar should
be set and left at the highest level possible.  While I agree spending 3 hours shining boots that aren't meant to be shined is silly, the basic appearance standards
should never be downplayed, especially in the CP.

As for the adults.  It's shocking how many these days are seemingly incapable of dressing themselves or even buying clothes that actually fit.

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:11:42 PM

OK, I see that - assuming you're talking about unnecessary plumage, etc.

I'm saying that I wouldn't necessarily, as a cadet, like to be told by anyone, cadet or senior, that my uniform was not within regs if I can spot 10 uniform problems within the first minute. If someone is telling me the wing patch is worn 1/2 inch down and centered on the left shoulder seam and I can see theirs is more than an inch and cockeyed, I would not be inclined to listen to "do as I say and not as I do".

Eclipse

Heh - agreed.

I had a run-in with a "valued member of CAP" some years back at a large PD event.

This gent fancied himself as a uniform expert, which was fine, except he must have been using a
version of 39-1 published in Bizarro World because at least 1/2 of what he said was simply incorrect.

I took it as some sport to call him out everytime he spouted nonsense, including showing him the
correct configuration in 39-1.  That was especially galling to him in front of the people he was "correcting".

The shocking part was that because of the geographic diversity of this annual activity, he was likely the source
of a lot of the problems with uniforms in a fairly wide area.

Suffice to say, I do not get a Christmas card from him.

Back to your point, my experience has been that if you want a good once-over on your own uniform,
find a sharp-looking cadet and they will catch anything you missed.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on March 16, 2014, 07:04:23 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 16, 2014, 03:55:03 PM

Some reasons, in no particular order:
More comfortable
Less costly to replace in the case of some uniform damaging oopsie, and less prone to fatal damage

You forgot - It's Kewl.

LSThiker

Actually the 'U' stands for Uniform, not utility, in CAPM 39-1, AFMAN 36-2903, and AR 670-1. 

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:15:04 PM
I'm saying that I wouldn't necessarily, as a cadet, like to be told by anyone, cadet or senior, that my uniform was not within regs if I can spot 10 uniform problems within the first minute. If someone is telling me the wing patch is worn 1/2 inch down and centered on the left shoulder seam and I can see theirs is more than an inch and cockeyed, I would not be inclined to listen to "do as I say and not as I do".

This speaks to credibility and leadership powers.  You're the leadership officer for the unit (or deputy for cadet) and you're correcting people while your junk is jacked up, you lose a metric ton of credibility in all kinds of areas, not just uniforms.  Plus you take massive hit points to your "expert" leadership power.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

I will iron and starch the collars  and that part of the shirt between the top button and the collars of my BDUs and maybe the corners of the pocket flaps when they start curling up, but otherwise don't starch or iron. 

Archer

Negligible difference, you maybe end up spending an extra few seconds ironing down the crease on the Blues shirt. If you opt for leather shoes or boots with your Blues, 15 minutes polishing.

More comfortable
Not for me.

Your meetings should be planned out. Especially for any activity that would result in your members becoming "unduly soiled".

Quote from: SarDragon link=topic=18644.msg339670#msg339670
Let's all just wear a white t-shirt and khakis then. Cheap, uniform, about as appropriate as the BDU.

Sapper168

I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

Similar idea here, I have meeting/encampment uniforms and mission/outdoor training uniforms.  When I was an active duty Army C-4 slinger, I had crisp/shined uniforms for wear on base and clean/serviceable uniforms for wear in the field, so its just habit.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Stonewall

I work in an office setting where we wear blues every day except Friday.  Friday is "Fatigue (ABU) Friday".  Everyone would prefer to wear ABUs because they are absolutely more comfortable and with this wintry winter that we've been having, ABUs are far easier to stay warm and dry in.  The fact is, we're office REMFs and like it or not, we should be in blues.  I'm fact I think it should be mandatory we wear long sleeve with a tie since that's what our civilian counterparts in the office wear.  It just seems proper. But I'd will wear ABUs everyday if I could.

That said, NO ONE wears their blues to and from work, which means NO ONE irons them other than the first day of the week.  We all wear one uniform a week, only changing socks, skivvies, and undershirt.

That's the full time Air Force for you.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

You couldn't bring a couple fresh ones?  Seems like 5 days in the same duds would make you look like a sack of taters