Crossing the Line: BDU Preparation

Started by Archer, March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Archer

At what point do you cross the thin(heavily starched) line between properly maintaining your BDU like a disciplined military professional and over doing it to the point that you're not doing much other than displaying to everyone around you that you don't know how that uniform is supposed to be used?

Honor-guard-shined boots?
Razor creases?
Ironing at all?
Shirt-stays(garters) on your undershirt?
Strings(IP) removal?
Boot blousing bands?

Where is the line drawn?

Panache

During my time in the Army, I did all of the items you listed while wearing BDUs, with the exception of undershirt garters.  Those aren't really needed with BDU's, as any benefit you get from it will be hidden by your BDU blouse.

Archer

Have you had any experiences with your uniform not holding up, specifically in the field, due to the added stress you put on them with that?

Stonewall

Wash, dry, iron (no starch).

Brush polished boots.

/thread
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM
At what point do you cross the thin(heavily starched) line between properly maintaining your BDU like a disciplined military professional and over doing it to the point that you're not doing much other than displaying to everyone around you that you don't know how that uniform is supposed to be used?

Razor creases?
Ironing at all?
Strings(IP) removal?
Boot blousing bands?

Where is the line drawn?

I've always thought the line was pretty fuzzy and a little zig-zaggy, depending on a lot of factors (who is wearing the uniform, the purpose of the uniform, the people and command climate around you, etc).

WIWAC, I had a commander who was a full-time ANG NCO, former Army infantryman Vietnam vet.  Fatigues, in his way of thinking, were a "work/field uniform." We'd wear blues 3 meetings a month and fatigues 1. Marching in a parade in fatigues? Ain't happening.

So the rule was "clean and neat, but don't overdo it."

Uniforms we not wrinkled, insignia wasn't all buggered up, boots were black and had been shined.  There was no extra credit given for parade ground "8-ball" shine on the boots, 4lbs of starch in a 2lb uniform, etc.

(Its like my old joke giving the command "At Ease" wrong.  "Oh, so you want to relax with precision?" We're going to make our work/field uniform a parade uniform? What?)

FFWD for me to the Army, and yeah, in Basic and AIT, my uniforms were "squared away" but all I did was get them laundered by the Quartermaster laundry with whatever level of starch they used by default.  I bought a pair of jump boots for those times when I wasn't mired in hydraulic fluid, kept one set of BDUs "oil free," snipped the threads off the uniform, and that was it.  They all pretty much still got dirty, cleaned, pressed, etc.

When I got to Korea, however, I was on my battalion's color guard and we stepped it up a notch. But just a notch.  Since our KATUSA counterpart on the color guard only owned issued boots, it didn't make sense for the rest of us to wear jump boots.  (So we bought him a pair of jump boots.. LOL!)  But our uniforms were still only laundered and pressed by our aijumas.  We made sure they were 100% AR 670-1 compliant, but they weren't dipped in white glue and left to dry or had super-special nametags made or anything like that.  Just "wear it correctly."

Now, today, do I wear my BDUs "sharply?" Yes.

Do I do all that crazy stuff?  No.  I want to present a sharp and consistent image to the cadets, but not an unrealistic hyper-crazy one, either.

My BDUs are clean and pressed.  I check them for threads. My insignia is well stitched. 

My jump boots are shined, but honestly, the last time I sat down and Kiwi'd them was like 5-6 months ago. They're still pretty high-speed looking, but I don't abuse them. They get worn, and then taken off and put away where they're not going to get ruined.   I do wipe them off, touch them up, etc.  Nobody is going to look down at my boots and say "Crikey, did the colonel use a hot Hershey bar on those?"  They're clean, black and highly polished, and look that way every week.

And that is what I expect the cadet's boots to look like: clean, black and have seen Kiwi.  Get rid of the dirt, the boots are supposed to be black, and look like they've been polished since you owned them.   Not a huge scuff across the toe, brown leather showing, or caked on mud.  (don't get me started on sham-shined boots. Especially poorly sham-shined boots<GRIN>)  I'll be impressed with your extra work if your boots are highly spit shined and look great.  But if at the same time you can't pass your Aerospace test, or give me the cadet oath, we're going to have a talk about where your emphasis is.

Razor creases are not necessary. I like mine with creases, sure, but there is a limit. Especially if overdoing it contributes to abnormal wear.  A cadet whose uniform looks like it has seen an iron since the last time he wore it will get no gig from me.  The guy whose uniform looks like it was balled up in the corner of his bedroom between meetings (or slept in last night) is going to get one.

Shirt-stays on the t-shirt is just... stupid. There, I said it.

I also use the wide blousing bands because they don't cut the circulation off as badly, and i think they make the blouse look a little nicer (and this from the guy who had his ACUs setup with elastic....). However, there are so many ways that cadets can "blouse poorly" (uneven left-to-right, too low, etc) that my standard is "is it at the top of the boot-ish? Good. Even? Wow. Great."  Most of the time I look down and I'm not 100% sure the cadet has even bloused his boots. "Uh, hey.."

Bottom line is: making BDUs a parade uniform is a kabuki-theater thing. Its not "more military"

They should look "right," and not "over-right".

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

When I was on active duty and wore BDU's.....I took my uniforms to dry cleaners asked for heavy starch.

I could get 3-5 days wear out of a set of BDUs....took them off and hung them up as soon as I got home.....depending on how messy I was at work (comm maintenance is not really that hard on BDUs).

For CAP.....I wash them at home.  Iron them when they come out of the dryer....no starch.
I wear Jump boots.....a little Kiwi a quick buff with the brush.....good to go.

I don't stress the spit shine and razor creases for my cadets......it is not necessary.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

Sometimes when I'm really bored I'll take out the sta-flo and have some fun, but 90% of the time I just steam press my BDUs and wear em until they need to be washed.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Flying Pig

Please.... Please.... Im begging you... Don't wear shirt-stays on your undershirt!!! :o

Flying Pig

When I was in the Marines (back when we wore woodland cammies) all I did was buff shine my boots and steam iron my cammies and used VERY light starch.

Cammies (BDUs) that are starched rock solid and honor guard shined boots, to ME, looks completely silly.  Id tell cadets that I appreciated the effort, but save it for your blues.  I cant count the number of cadets Ive seen who get it backwards.  BDUs look like they are standing inspection at NCC, and their blues look like they just got back from the field. 

MIKE

When I wore jump boots with BDUs, I shined them... then I bought some black Infantry Combat Boots for cheap back during the waning days...  Instruction booklet said no polish so they have none on them.  I clean them but I don't shine them.

I iron my ODUs same as I did BDUs.  I don't use starch at all.  At my last squadron they were big on starched BDUs, but most of them also had the Hock Shop Special 100% cottons that faded and wore terribly.  I had EHWBDUs.

I have had a few different styles of blousing bands.  I currently use the standard ones... which work best with my ICBs,

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

I carefully snip the retaining threads from the blousing ties and use the tie to pull a rubber blousing band through the
same channel.  Once through, I close the rings together with pliers and let them fall back into the pants invisible.

The result is an elastic bunch foot opening that insta-blouses when you put your pants on and is easily adjusted
if things shift around.

Otherwise my BDUs go to the cleaners and get starched hard, I like the look, and am unconcerned with IR signature.
If that's too much, keeping them clean and ironed won't hurt you and will put you a few clicks of those in your flight
who look like they sleep in the dryer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Archer

I'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).

Eclipse

Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PM
I'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).

By far the vast majority of CAP field uniforms never see anything resembling a "field".

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2014, 09:27:08 PM

By far the vast majority of CAP field uniforms never see anything resembling a "field".

Mine rarely see anything but the field.

a2capt

Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PMI'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).
Thats it. Wash, remove from water, use the shower head with warm water to rinse one more time, and hang to dry.  They come out flat, nearly ironed looking. Done.

abdsp51

Nothing wrong with highly shined boots and a creased uniform.  However if that's all that is relied on to get through then that's a problem.  But the basics need to be there, shined boots, clean, neat, serviceable and pressed uniform.  I have a had hard getting cadets to this as is.

LSThiker

That is all that I do with mine.  Wash it, dry it, and iron it a little (mostly collar) to get the proper shape back.  My pocket corners are sewn down (still functional pockets) so I do not have fabric sticking out.  I have no creases running down my sleeves and no starch.  My boots are shined but not to a high gloss.  My cadets were told that the BDUs will be inspected but not to the same degree as the service uniform.  They were in weekend ES activities every two months. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Except for way back in Basic Training, when one had to have their BDU's hung in the wall locker a certain way or incur the wrath of the MTI's, I just wash/dry/hang up/ready to go.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

In garrison and on Monday morning, it was spits and starches. In the field, everything, and I mean everything, turned a nice shade of reddish brown including me. Hawaii=Lava Dirt.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Slim

BDUs:  Wash, tumble dry on low heat, remove from dryer and hang up as soon as it's done.  Iron as needed to maintain creases.  I honestly can't remember the last time they needed to be ironed.  On the shirt, pocket flaps and edges are sewn down, and all other pockets and sleeve cuffs are kept buttoned all the time.  No starch, mine are the 65/35 poly cotton blend, so it doesn't really help. 

Boots:  Belleville and Bates ICBs, a little polish and a quick buff as needed (maybe every 3-4 months).  Quick buff in between to knock the dust and loose dirt off.

Blousers: I hate hate hate the cheap elastic bands.  I use a pair of the Raine 1" elastic and velcro bands and blouse right to the top of the boot.  No problems with them digging into my legs, cutting off circulation, or any of the other issues those darned cheapies cause.  I don't remember exactly when I got the set I'm currently using, but it's been at least 10 years, and they're finally getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

Slim

abdsp51

I have used both elastic bands and the cheapies issued in basic.  The best method I have found so far is to run a set of the cheapies through the bottom of the pants cuff and voila instant blouse. 

antdetroitwallyball

I tend to be pretty good about ironing my BDUs before meeting night/field activity, and polishing my boots about once per month. No razor creases or honor-guard level polishing.

To be honest, uniform appearence used to be my weak point. I work at a Coast Guard station a few days per week now (as CGAUX), and once the active duty guys get comfortable around you, they start calling you out on improper uniform stuff............so, because of their influence, my standard has increased (a good thing, obviously). Back when I used to only work around other auxiliarists, it was easy to be lazy and sloppy with one's uniform, as everyone else was the same way.

Interestingly, the senior members in my squadron need a little help with uniforms. Their uniforms are very worn and don't always fit perfectly. Also, their is just a general lack of understanding/knowledge regarding things like, "here's how you actually use blousing bands, etc." The Cadets are pretty good, but that's their thing. Once in a while, we will pull and older cadet with a reputation for being squarded away into our room, and have him/her look us over and give us some help. Cadets get a kick out of that.. :)

Garibaldi

I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 02:19:56 PM
It may seem a bit much, but at meetings, since I am involved in CP, I believe my appearance should be paramount. Cadets learn by example, and usually follow suit.
What exactly are the cadets learning though?   "appearance should be paramount", is that the take home lesson of the cadet program?
Not saying appearance and attention to detail and all that jazz are not important.   But as has been pointed out here a couple of time.....sometimes in CP appearances gets over emphasized.

Archer

Why are BDU's being worn in place of the service uniform?

SarDragon

Quote from: Archer on March 16, 2014, 03:55:03 PM

Some reasons, in no particular order:
Easier to maintain on a week to week basis; less prep involved
More comfortable
Allow more variety in meeting activities
Less costly to replace in the case of some uniform damaging oopsie, and less prone to fatal damage

The 'U' stands for 'Utility', for a good reason.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on March 16, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
What exactly are the cadets learning though?   "appearance should be paramount", is that the take home lesson of the cadet program?
Not saying appearance and attention to detail and all that jazz are not important.   But as has been pointed out here a couple of time.....sometimes in CP appearances gets over emphasized.

Sometimes in CP appearances not backed up by experience gets very overemphasized.

Eclipse

Appearance isn't "paramount", it is an assumption.  A baseline of participation that sets the tone and attitude of the duties you are about to perform.

Considering the distractibility of the adolescent mind, not to mention the "Lowest Common Denominator" mentality of the average person these days. the bar should
be set and left at the highest level possible.  While I agree spending 3 hours shining boots that aren't meant to be shined is silly, the basic appearance standards
should never be downplayed, especially in the CP.

As for the adults.  It's shocking how many these days are seemingly incapable of dressing themselves or even buying clothes that actually fit.

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
Sometimes in CP appearances not backed up by experience gets very overemphasized.

OK, I see that - assuming you're talking about unnecessary plumage, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2014, 07:11:54 PM

Appearance isn't "paramount", it is an assumption.  A baseline of participation that sets the tone and attitude of the duties you are about to perform.

Considering the distractibility of the adolescent mind, not to mention the "Lowest Common Denominator" mentality of the average person these days. the bar should
be set and left at the highest level possible.  While I agree spending 3 hours shining boots that aren't meant to be shined is silly, the basic appearance standards
should never be downplayed, especially in the CP.

As for the adults.  It's shocking how many these days are seemingly incapable of dressing themselves or even buying clothes that actually fit.

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:11:42 PM

OK, I see that - assuming you're talking about unnecessary plumage, etc.

I'm saying that I wouldn't necessarily, as a cadet, like to be told by anyone, cadet or senior, that my uniform was not within regs if I can spot 10 uniform problems within the first minute. If someone is telling me the wing patch is worn 1/2 inch down and centered on the left shoulder seam and I can see theirs is more than an inch and cockeyed, I would not be inclined to listen to "do as I say and not as I do".

Eclipse

Heh - agreed.

I had a run-in with a "valued member of CAP" some years back at a large PD event.

This gent fancied himself as a uniform expert, which was fine, except he must have been using a
version of 39-1 published in Bizarro World because at least 1/2 of what he said was simply incorrect.

I took it as some sport to call him out everytime he spouted nonsense, including showing him the
correct configuration in 39-1.  That was especially galling to him in front of the people he was "correcting".

The shocking part was that because of the geographic diversity of this annual activity, he was likely the source
of a lot of the problems with uniforms in a fairly wide area.

Suffice to say, I do not get a Christmas card from him.

Back to your point, my experience has been that if you want a good once-over on your own uniform,
find a sharp-looking cadet and they will catch anything you missed.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on March 16, 2014, 07:04:23 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 16, 2014, 03:55:03 PM

Some reasons, in no particular order:
More comfortable
Less costly to replace in the case of some uniform damaging oopsie, and less prone to fatal damage

You forgot - It's Kewl.

LSThiker

Actually the 'U' stands for Uniform, not utility, in CAPM 39-1, AFMAN 36-2903, and AR 670-1. 

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2014, 07:15:04 PM
I'm saying that I wouldn't necessarily, as a cadet, like to be told by anyone, cadet or senior, that my uniform was not within regs if I can spot 10 uniform problems within the first minute. If someone is telling me the wing patch is worn 1/2 inch down and centered on the left shoulder seam and I can see theirs is more than an inch and cockeyed, I would not be inclined to listen to "do as I say and not as I do".

This speaks to credibility and leadership powers.  You're the leadership officer for the unit (or deputy for cadet) and you're correcting people while your junk is jacked up, you lose a metric ton of credibility in all kinds of areas, not just uniforms.  Plus you take massive hit points to your "expert" leadership power.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

I will iron and starch the collars  and that part of the shirt between the top button and the collars of my BDUs and maybe the corners of the pocket flaps when they start curling up, but otherwise don't starch or iron. 

Archer

Negligible difference, you maybe end up spending an extra few seconds ironing down the crease on the Blues shirt. If you opt for leather shoes or boots with your Blues, 15 minutes polishing.

More comfortable
Not for me.

Your meetings should be planned out. Especially for any activity that would result in your members becoming "unduly soiled".

Quote from: SarDragon link=topic=18644.msg339670#msg339670
Let's all just wear a white t-shirt and khakis then. Cheap, uniform, about as appropriate as the BDU.

Sapper168

I have 3 sets of BDUs. One for meetings/encampment, which I press and shine my boots. One I have for FTXs/SAREXs that are not kept to my meeting standards, and one that I throw in my trunk in case I get caught out and need a uniform quick for missions.

Similar idea here, I have meeting/encampment uniforms and mission/outdoor training uniforms.  When I was an active duty Army C-4 slinger, I had crisp/shined uniforms for wear on base and clean/serviceable uniforms for wear in the field, so its just habit.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Stonewall

I work in an office setting where we wear blues every day except Friday.  Friday is "Fatigue (ABU) Friday".  Everyone would prefer to wear ABUs because they are absolutely more comfortable and with this wintry winter that we've been having, ABUs are far easier to stay warm and dry in.  The fact is, we're office REMFs and like it or not, we should be in blues.  I'm fact I think it should be mandatory we wear long sleeve with a tie since that's what our civilian counterparts in the office wear.  It just seems proper. But I'd will wear ABUs everyday if I could.

That said, NO ONE wears their blues to and from work, which means NO ONE irons them other than the first day of the week.  We all wear one uniform a week, only changing socks, skivvies, and undershirt.

That's the full time Air Force for you.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

You couldn't bring a couple fresh ones?  Seems like 5 days in the same duds would make you look like a sack of taters

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 16, 2014, 10:46:47 PM

Similar idea here, I have meeting/encampment uniforms and mission/outdoor training uniforms.  When I was an active duty Army C-4 slinger, I had crisp/shined uniforms for wear on base and clean/serviceable uniforms for wear in the field, so its just habit.
Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them.  I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Our cadets maintain their BDUs (not a required uniform after all) as clean and serviceable.  Works for me. 

Like Garibaldi, being principally involved with the CP I ensure that my own appearance is an appropriate example to my cadets.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 17, 2014, 03:10:27 PM

Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them. I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Our cadets maintain their BDUs (not a required uniform after all) as clean and serviceable.  Works for me. 

Like Garibaldi, being principally involved with the CP I ensure that my own appearance is an appropriate example to my cadets.

Yip.  I had that issue as a cadet.  I had a Cadet Commander who, lets just say money was not an issue, and had brand spankin' new everything... with multiple sets of everything.  Started getting on cadets who's hand-me-down leathers were a little worn maybe wearing a serviceable, but used blues shirt...  Started encouraging cadets to get jobs to buy new uniforms.  By encouraging..... I mean, "You won't be on staff unless you have brand new uniforms". 

I had several cadets in my Sq when I was the DCC who's parents probably couldnt afford the gas to just get them to CAP.  Even if your uniform is old and worn, I can still see whether or not you take pride in it. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
You couldn't bring a couple fresh ones?  Seems like 5 days in the same duds would make you look like a sack of taters

I agree. When I was a MP in the Marines I had a fresh shirt everyday. Marines who got meritorious promotions did, and those who wore the same uniform shirt everyday did not. Even in CAP at RSC, I had a fresh shirt everyday.  8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2014, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 17, 2014, 03:10:27 PM

Indeed...when active duty I also had the multi-set, especially the footwear.  For my cadets this is not practical; they cannot afford such expense and we do not require it of them. I had one 'senior cadet' later SM who had multiple sets of everything and looked like he had just stepped from central casting on every occasions - all fine UNTIL he started giving the cadets a hard time for not matching his standards. 

Yip.  I had that issue as a cadet.  I had a Cadet Commander who, lets just say money was not an issue, and had brand spankin' new everything... with multiple sets of everything.  Started getting on cadets who's hand-me-down leathers were a little worn maybe wearing a serviceable, but used blues shirt...  Started encouraging cadets to get jobs to buy new uniforms.  By encouraging..... I mean, "You won't be on staff unless you have brand new uniforms". 

I had several cadets in my Sq when I was the DCC who's parents probably couldnt afford the gas to just get them to CAP.  Even if your uniform is old and worn, I can still see whether or not you take pride in it.

Let me qualify what I said. While I have several sets of uniforms and boots, I in NO WAY encourage or even suggest that a cadet go out and buy or obtain multiple uniforms, items, or equipment. I even tell the cadets I better not hear "but my kid said Major Estes said I HAVE TO HAVE ALL THIS STUFF NOW!!!" from their parents because I understand not everyone has eleventy thousand dollars to spend on CAP. Everything I have, I have purchased over the years. It's taken me quite some time to amass what I do have. I rarely buy brand new and have found a lot of good stuff in the "$10 or less" bin at a surplus shop I used to frequent. I never, not once ever, will request a cadet replace what s/he is wearing if nothing else is available or they can't afford it. It is what it is. And the requests I hear from the cadre or staff are along the same lines. But, as Brit said, take pride in what you DO have. And that's the message I hope to convey.

Brit_in_CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on March 15, 2014, 10:48:35 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PMI'm surprised no one here has taken the field-utility stance(nothing at all ever except a wash and dry occasionally).
Thats it. Wash, remove from water, use the shower head with warm water to rinse one more time, and hang to dry.  They come out flat, nearly ironed looking. Done.

Ah, I've been meaning to talk to you about that.   ;)

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Archer

Quote from: Pylon on March 18, 2014, 01:16:42 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on March 16, 2014, 02:45:37 PM
http://www.cadetstuff.org/you-are-only-as-sharp-as-your-creases/

In case it was missed, this article answers the OP's question.  :clap:

I actually read that article a few years ago and have ever since made it required reading for subordinate colleagues.

I was trying to actually get a feel for the justification that those who do dress to 9's in their BDU's believe in. I figure that hundreds of thousands of people can't be totally baseless.

inb4 Nazi's.

tribalelder

Fabric makes a difference- poly cotton blend and nyco can wash and wear; all cotton - not so much- needs ironing.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Spartan

For me, it all depends on what I will be doing.  If I intend to spend serious time (>48 hours) in the "field" I don't starch, polish to a mirror shine, or bother with boot blousers.  I keep my boots black and brush shined, and I maintain the serviceability of my uniform by fixing tears and rips when I can.  There is a level of practicality that comes with either common sense or experience when it comes to how much effort you put into your uniform. 

As with 99% of things in CAP, that level of effort depends on the situation.  At a minimum, my uniforms are all ironed, except the polo shirt since it hasn't wrinkled yet and properly assembled with the minimum pieces of flair.  If I am involved in recruiting or in a mission base job where I am in the public eye, I make sure my uniform is creased and at least lightly starched, and that my boots are buffed to a high shine.  If I am leading a ground team, I am not going to put my "inspection ready" set of BDU's on.  I will also not look like I saved the day by jumping on a wrinkle bomb.

When it comes down to it, properly assembled, wrinkle free, blackened and brushed, free of loose threads and not faded to khaki or threadbare is the standard.  If I am inspecting a cadet's uniform, that warrants satisfactory.  They meet the standard.  Should the cadet choose to go beyond that standard and press, starch until their uniform stands on its own, shine until their boots double as signal mirrors, and are generally uncomfortable, it is up to them.  Just because their uniform is not to that level of OCD preparation, does not mean that it doesn't meet the standard.  Remember folks, there is a huge difference between a norm of far beyond the expected appearance and the standard of appearance and uniform care.

NorCal21

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2014, 09:27:08 PM

I drive by a couple fields on the way to our meetings. Does that count?!  ;D

a2capt

..and if you stop and do a little exploring, take a pause for a while, and dream it's all yours.. you could be "out standing in your field".

D'oh!

Luis R. Ramos

Er, guys, I do not think you should quit your day jobs!

In reality, you did give me an asthma attack... specially that "out standing..." bit!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on June 15, 2014, 11:29:52 PM
..and if you stop and do a little exploring, take a pause for a while, and dream it's all yours.. you could be "out standing in your field".

D'oh!
My father was a long time Boy Scout volunteer and then a Professional Scouter....when he got his Silver Beaver (a big deal for Boy Scout types) the presented him with a larger sized blown up photo of him standing an a field supervising scouts doing scout stuff.....and the caption read  "Bob Harris Out Standing In His Field".   

I love that joke!  :)

Miss you Dad.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Archer on March 15, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Razor creases?
Ironing at all?
Strings(IP) removal?
Boot blousing bands?

Where is the line drawn?

If my blouse couldn't stand up on its own in the corner of the cadet office, it needed more starch. If I couldn't reflect a laser pointer off the boot and onto the ceiling, it needed more polish.

Garibaldi

It's been so long I can't remember if I contributed to this thread or not, but here goes...

For meetings, I have a very nice, new set of BDUs, ironed, (starch is a no-no in the heat and humidity in Georgia) complete with shiny boots. For wet work, I have my disreputable, 15 year old set with my used Goretex boots that are lucky if they see a can of polish heading in the other direction.