FAA Wings Program entry in eServices

Started by a2capt, February 13, 2014, 06:41:45 AM

a2capt

... just making sure that I'm not doing something wrong by rejecting something in eServices:

Where it says "FAA Wings Program" in pilot records, that is for completion of any phase, and then an entry would also be made in the Flight Review since completing any Wings program phase, that is, 3 hours of ground or approved seminars, combined with the flight time, all signed and endorsed, is essentially a "progressive flight review".

..and not for merely completing any activity towards a phase/course completion.

But those activities themselves can also count for CAP safety currency, and nothing more, CAP wise.

jayleswo

Correct except that the Wings entry once validated in eservices will update the flight review due date automagically you do not need to enter both Wings AND a flight review.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

a2capt

Okay- and that other part was on my mind, too- though even if it had to be entered twice, I wouldn't have cared.

In this case, I've got someone under the impression that they got Wings credit, and thus, a Flight Review, just because they completed one activity via one of the popular pilot vendors online.

..and the clue to me was "there is no certificate" when I asked for it.

dashdriver

Actually, provided the pilot has his WINGS and CAP accounts linked (by entering CAPID in the account preferences section of the WINGS website), upon completion of a Phase, the FAA will automatically update the Eservices flight review date and validate it (it takes several hours for this to happen once the WINGS site shows completion).

a2capt

Yes, I know about the link option, too. We're not even ready to go there yet, with this one ;)
It's all good..

a2capt

Is there any kind of method to validate a Wings Certificate?

How exactly does the modern part of this work anymore? It appears to be like eServices, where you enter the stuff in. Does someone on the back side validate it?

What is the check and balance against a member inputting something for the flight time that never happened?

For example, how does someone with a student medical, who has not completed primary training, and has in the area of 25 hours total time, list an Instrument Proficiency Check on a Wings Phase 1 completion when an IPC is so far beyond the need at this point alone. 

I can see where a CFI would login and may be able to validate something, is that how it's supposed to work? Can any CFI look at any airman data?

I know this is beyond my scope as part of the CAP process, if someone presents me with a Wings Phase completion certificate, it must be good, right? What right do I have to question it?

Except .. when I see things on it that just don't make sense given the level of training someone is at. Bogus information there isn't going to hurt us over all, it's the members problem in the end, vs. the Feds.

Huey Driver

Quote from: a2capt on March 04, 2014, 03:33:45 AM
I can see where a CFI would login and may be able to validate something, is that how it's supposed to work? Can any CFI look at any airman data?

I'm looking at the same thing right now. The other day I did a training course with CAP and a FAAST Representative, who validated my entry and issued me a Wings credit.

Whenever you've completed a flight portion, you're supposed to click "When Complete Request Credit" and search for the CFI who you completed your training with, and they will then validate your training and you'll get the credit. At least that's how I think it's supposed to work.

Now, if I only knew why it wants me to get my Recreational License...  :o

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

vento

Quote from: a2capt on March 04, 2014, 03:33:45 AM
Is there any kind of method to validate a Wings Certificate?

How exactly does the modern part of this work anymore? It appears to be like eServices, where you enter the stuff in. Does someone on the back side validate it?

What is the check and balance against a member inputting something for the flight time that never happened?

For example, how does someone with a student medical, who has not completed primary training, and has in the area of 25 hours total time, list an Instrument Proficiency Check on a Wings Phase 1 completion when an IPC is so far beyond the need at this point alone. 

I know this is beyond my scope as part of the CAP process, if someone presents me with a Wings Phase completion certificate, it must be good, right? What right do I have to question it?

Except .. when I see things on it that just don't make sense given the level of training someone is at. Bogus information there isn't going to hurt us over all, it's the members problem in the end, vs. the Feds.

The Wings certificate is provided to your member in the FAASafety website. Ask the guy/gal to go to the FAA website, get the certificate, and upload the certificate into e-Services. I would be really reluctant to validate anything without seeing that certificate because once updated in eServices it serves as a BFR.

EDIT: Never mind. Just re-read your last post and noticed that I am not answering your question at all. Sorry.
This link should be closer to what you are looking for. http://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/Pub/ProgramInfo/PhaseEarnerList.aspx

a2capt

The list of earners is about as much as I can probably get publicly, and at least I see the thing listed there.. and more. Ugh.

I really should not have looked at that roster. ;)

I -HATE- dealing with box checkers and certificate collectors, who can't perform squat when put up against the wall.

The thing I'm having issue with is how does one get IPC credit when they don't even have a rating, and how does one need a BFR when they don't even have at least PP-anything yet. I'm pretty sure part of the requirement to have BFR credit is that you have a certificate to operate in the first place.

As a student, you'd be operating solo on 90 day periods, not 24 months.

If you do an activity online, it logs completion, then you take sections with a CFI, and request validation, or an online session such as King Schools, Sporty's, American Flyers, ground school, refreshers, and those things report completion and eventually you've completed a "progressive flight review".

Since eServices knows the member has not got a license yet, (well, other than the student certificate entered), why does it even care, or allow for flight reviews to be tracked.