New Cadet Programs Specialty Track Pamphlet P216 published

Started by paul83814, January 23, 2014, 05:40:38 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 24, 2014, 12:44:32 AM
Its a great way to to stonewall progression.

No TLC = go directly to GO, collect $200.

I wouldn't delay the progression of a member for anything required but not released.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

I know at least locally, CAP can access some of the Scout Reservations (Sand Hill for example) without having to deal with a BSA unit. And otherwise, we avoid each other like the plague.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2014, 01:09:36 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 24, 2014, 12:44:32 AM
Its a great way to to stonewall progression.

No TLC = go directly to GO, collect $200.

I wouldn't delay the progression of a member for anything required but not released.

Essentially that is what happened.  You were exempt from the requirement, similar to how you are exempt for the ECI course for ES specialty. 

LSThiker

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 24, 2014, 01:11:57 AM
I know at least locally, CAP can access some of the Scout Reservations (Sand Hill for example) without having to deal with a BSA unit. And otherwise, we avoid each other like the plague.

Depending on where you are, it may hurt you in the political realm.  The BSA has had a lot of negative news in the past.  However, having a partnership may help you as well.  Since the BSA is located in TX and has a strong history with TX, the local community may (not necessarily) look favorably on that relationship.  So you have to judge the community that you live in and determine what is in the best interests for the squadron physically and politically. 

As for me, I stayed away as it did not help my squadron.

Elmer

I was in a unit previously that was jointly chartered with the BSA.  Benefits included being able to use scout camps for activities without any additional paperwork/insurance/cost.  We also took some of our cadets to Florida and went sailing for a week.  Doesn't count as an AE activity but still they learned some map/navigation skills (and it was a lot of fun).

We are looking at having a joint Scout/CAP event later this year - teaching Search and Rescue Merit Badge and a good recruiting opportunity.  I also teach Aviation Merit Badge every year - another recruiting opportunity.  But you don't need to be dual-chartered to do those things.

a2capt

We were dual chartered for a few years, and eventually just dropped it.
The few times we did look into BSA facilities, they were not available calendar wise, during planning.
Many of them were even more run down than beat to death by Marines, facilities on base.

Anytime cadets heard "BSA" they freaked out. ;)

We just dropped it. Less administrative hassle.

Ed Bos

Another advantage is recruiting cadets. You may have more access to youth and if any previous Scouts join a dual-chartered Squadron, they can continue advancing toward BSA ranks as Venturers. It's just another tool in the toolbox.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

PHall

Quote from: Ed Bos on January 26, 2014, 10:39:23 PM
Another advantage is recruiting cadets. You may have more access to youth and if any previous Scouts join a dual-chartered Squadron, they can continue advancing toward BSA ranks as Venturers. It's just another tool in the toolbox.

It's been my experience that the kids who do well doing the Scouting thing usually don't do well in CAP.
We seem to be "too structured" for them.

abdsp51

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 28, 2014, 04:12:11 AM
Has anyone heard anything more on this?

Besides a lot of pissed off members who were literally within a checkbox or two away after years of working on it? Nope. Meet the new boss! Same as the old boss, but more demanding!

dwb

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 28, 2014, 04:12:11 AM
Has anyone heard anything more on this?

A little birdie told me they're making revisions to the revisions, and we can expect to see something soon (i.e., first half of 2014).

I've been advising members to just follow the old pamphlet, at least until the new exams come online. That's probably not the ideal advice, but it's the best for the situation, IMO.

abdsp51

Quote from: dwb on March 29, 2014, 02:34:04 PM
A little birdie told me they're making revisions to the revisions, and we can expect to see something soon (i.e., first half of 2014).

I've been advising members to just follow the old pamphlet, at least until the new exams come online. That's probably not the ideal advice, but it's the best for the situation, IMO.

Considering the old pamphlet became obsolete when they published the new one how is that even remotely possible?

dwb

They either fudge the new requirements (because they include a non-existent test), go by the old requirements, or no one progresses at all. None of those are great outcomes.

Storm Chaser

I wasn't happy with the new pamphlet either, so I've decided not to complete the Master Rating in CP.

abdsp51

Quote from: dwb on March 29, 2014, 04:07:12 PM
They either fudge the new requirements (because they include a non-existent test), go by the old requirements, or no one progresses at all. None of those are great outcomes.
o

Which is the right way on this? Anyway I have already told my cc this is ne reason for my potentially not renewing my membership next year.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 29, 2014, 09:38:33 PM
Quote from: dwb on March 29, 2014, 04:07:12 PM
o

Which is the right way on this? Anyway I have already told my cc this is ne reason for my potentially not renewing my membership next year.

You would really leave CAP because of this?

abdsp51

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 29, 2014, 10:40:52 PM
You would really leave CAP because of this?

I said one reason. There are plenty others I have but when you poorly execute new requirements on folks inches away from progressing and half of the material isn't even available, then that says something.

dwb

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 29, 2014, 10:58:10 PMbut when you poorly execute new requirements on folks inches away from progressing and half of the material isn't even available, then that says something.

It says that no one is perfect. The NHQ Cadet Team goes to great lengths to cultivate a good relationship with CP folks in the wings and squadrons. The Proving Grounds section of the web site is evidence of this. They want member input, they don't want to alienate the people they know are their customers.

That said, it appears this one pamphlet was pushed out the door before the supporting materials were completed. I wouldn't draw negative conclusions from this one gaffe.

abdsp51

Quote from: dwb on March 30, 2014, 12:10:51 AM
It says that no one is perfect. The NHQ Cadet Team goes to great lengths to cultivate a good relationship with CP folks in the wings and squadrons. The Proving Grounds section of the web site is evidence of this. They want member input, they don't want to alienate the people they know are their customers.

That said, it appears this one pamphlet was pushed out the door before the supporting materials were completed. I wouldn't draw negative conclusions from this one gaffe.

I don't expect perfection from anyone.  But both my commander and I have been ignored on this matter completely, by the NHQ staff other than my commander saying it's being worked.  Sorry but this is crap, prematurely published or not little has been done on the matter and basically they don't care that members have been screwed and progression halted.  My last contact with the NHQ staff was on 10 Feb and there has been nothing else since then.  I don't view that as cultivating a good relationship nor a response of "it's being worked on"  is one either. 

I have busted my keyster to stay on top of my own PD and take care of cadets and this is the thanks given.  Oh here you go more requirements for you to do for your rating and oh wait the stuff hasn't been built and there is no recourse for you sorry.

Storm Chaser

^ I hear you pain and understand your frustration. However, I feel that what you've described here in not a good enough reason to leave CAP; but that's just me. While progression is part of this organization, it's not the purpose of it's existence. We have three primary missions and, while progression and professional development are important, they're not one of them. You can certainly continue to work with cadets and help develop our youth into tomorrow's leaders regardless of your specialty track rating. Things need to improve in CAP, but the way to do that is not by quitting. Those who leave CAP can't effect change within the organization; only those who stay can.