Main Menu

Tribal Logo?

Started by Eclipse, November 02, 2013, 04:38:28 PM

Mustang

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 11, 2013, 10:39:13 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 11, 2013, 06:34:23 PM
But is a "red propeller" trademarked or such by CAP?  If not, then it is fair game, even if CAP uses it.

Red three-bladed prop on a white triangle? CAP.
But, red two-bladed prop on a white circle? Probably not.
Red three-bladed prop, with one blade pointed DOWN, no white triangle? Beats the heck outta me who can or cannot claim that.

Two things:

CAP doesn't have to go through the trademark process to secure rights to emblems it uses, the federal law I cited earlier provides that protection simply upon adoption.

The accepted standard for copyright is that derived works must be 30% different from the original work. A three-bladed prop, yes--even one turned 120 degrees so that one blade is pointed downward.  A two-bladed prop, by itself, CAP probably cannot lay claim to.  A red two-bladed prop, probably not either, but you're getting dangerously close to infringement. Add wings to that red two-bladed prop, and you're absolutely infringing--it's the center of the enlisted cadet flight cap device.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

nmkaufman0

Quote from: Pulsar on November 18, 2013, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2013, 06:09:59 PM
The biggest problem with the hat is that it isn't going to mean anything to 99.9999% of the US population since it doesn't even mention CAP.  No one is going to associate it with us so it is an epic fail from a marketing point of view.

:clap: :clap:
How on earth did they come up with that logo anyway?

Maybe they imagined a cross between the CAP roundel, a hippie, and a sorry attempt at being "tribal".
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on November 24, 2013, 04:47:39 AM
Two things:

CAP doesn't have to go through the trademark process to secure rights to emblems it uses, the federal law I cited earlier provides that protection simply upon adoption.

The accepted standard for copyright is that derived works must be 30% different from the original work. A three-bladed prop, yes--even one turned 120 degrees so that one blade is pointed downward.  A two-bladed prop, by itself, CAP probably cannot lay claim to.  A red two-bladed prop, probably not either, but you're getting dangerously close to infringement. Add wings to that red two-bladed prop, and you're absolutely infringing--it's the center of the enlisted cadet flight cap device.

I think you'd have a hard time making the case that a 3-bladed prop, in and of itself, could be protected.  It's far too generic and is a functional part of too
many real aircraft.  I'd say 50-50 that a court challenge wound up with CAP losing on that.  Red, in a specific orientation, maybe.

But it would still take both sides caring enough to spend the money, and I'd say the big risk to CAP would be that the indices were created using government
funds and therefore should be in the public domain.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Instead of selling crap like this, why can't Vanguard provide some quality service?

Oh, whoops. Not the party line. NVM.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on November 24, 2013, 06:49:29 PM
Instead of selling crap like this, why can't Vanguard provide some quality service?

I've posted topics on my VG orders for a few years now. No issues at all since I turned SM in 2011.

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 24, 2013, 06:54:20 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 24, 2013, 06:49:29 PM

I've posted topics on my VG orders for a few years now. No issues at all since I turned SM in 2011.

Put a VG order in last Friday. Got the notification it shipped THIS Friday.

Ordered some custom stuff from Spur Nametapes at the same time. I've had it for 4 days already. And shipping was $2.

We used Spur for years when we inprocessed new cadets and did our bulk insignia orders (prior to the C&D).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.