Main Menu

Tribal Logo?

Started by Eclipse, November 02, 2013, 04:38:28 PM

UH60guy

Why does this hat remind me of Wilfred Brimley?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 05, 2013, 05:05:58 PM
Attention Vanguard:

Do you want more of my money?  Of course you do.

Here's an idea ... offer something that I would buy.

For example (and this isn't the only example) ... why not offer full-size versions of the miniature medals?  I would most definitely buy those ... and so would many of the Senior Members of CAP. 

I know we don't wear them.  Members who earn the Distinguished Service Award or the Silver or Bronze Medals of Valor don't wear them after they're presented either.  But they'd look great in a shadowbox.  And at a suggested cost of $20 - $25 a pop, you'd get a good chunk of change just from me - look at the rack in my signature block and you'll see.  You're looking at $360 - $450 at the bare minimum.  And I'm not the only one who'd pay for them.

Don't offer me crap like this "tribal" logo or any other stuff you keep putting in your "New Items" part of the website.  Offer me something I want.

It's Marketing 101, folks, not rocket science.

Jack

Any other ideas?

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 05, 2013, 06:12:05 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 05, 2013, 05:57:26 PM
^^ This totally sums up what I'm thinking.

Right?

Make the cadet grades into key chains. I know I'd pick up some pips. Make some iPhone/Android device of the quarter cases with CAP themes. Make some decent bumper stickers. Make some stuff that's interesting and affordable so I can present it to cadets as little rewards.

I like those. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2013, 04:38:28 PM
What the heck is this?

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-ball-cap-stone-navy-with-prop-and-downward-wings-p-17095.html

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-ball-cap-navy-tan-with-prop-and-downward-wings-p-17096.html

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-t-shirt-heather-grey-w-screened-tribal-logo-p-17109.html

It looks like a minamalist sillouette of a pixie hairdo.  And "Tribal Logo"?  Perhaps VG isn't aware of the
ongoing issues with schools and other organizations in regards to their logos and mascots?

Unlike the BSA, we have no lineage to Native American lore or culture, so how does this get approved?

I'm tempted to draw in some eyes, a nose and the rest of Little LuLu's face.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2013, 04:38:28 PM
What the heck is this?

The car ahead of me had a similar decal in the window. Instead of the prop it had an "O". When I got closer it was for the University of Oregon. "Tribal Duck" ! ?   ???

Mustang

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 02, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
I dont know that CAP has the rights to a red propellor? ...  What would stop me from putting a single red prop on a tshirt and selling it?  I doubt CAP as an organization even has anything to do with this.

36 USC ยง 40306: Exclusive right to name, insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, marks, and words. The corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RogueLeader

But is a "red propeller" trademarked or such by CAP?  If not, then it is fair game, even if CAP uses it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

Or just turn the thing the other way. Even if it isn't "theirs".  That's like back when IBM essentially tried to trademark division, by getting the "/2" to be theirs., with the introduction of the PS/2 line. "Lets keep the cloners from calling them anything like what we do." It didn't work.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 11, 2013, 06:34:23 PM
But is a "red propeller" trademarked or such by CAP?  If not, then it is fair game, even if CAP uses it.

Red three-bladed prop on a white triangle? CAP.
But, red two-bladed prop on a white circle? Probably not.
Red three-bladed prop, with one blade pointed DOWN, no white triangle? Beats the heck outta me who can or cannot claim that.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

It would take a judge to decide and two parties willing to litigate.

It's just like the argument about the name.  Title 36 may grant exclusivity to "CIVIL AIR PATROL" but it certainly can't grant exclusivity to the words "civil", "air" and "patrol".

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

It looks like the prop grew anime hair.
graphics_design.exe has stopped working

Garibaldi

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 16, 2013, 07:04:00 PM

omai-wa! kawaii!!!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

More like Martha Stewart.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 16, 2013, 07:04:00 PM

Anime would not have entered my thinking. Does that say something about me or you? ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ol'fido on November 16, 2013, 11:56:11 PM
Anime would not have entered my thinking. Does that say something about me or you? ;D

I've been mainline marathoning some of my old favorites the past couple days, but I'd have probably thought of it anyways lol.

RiverAux

The biggest problem with the hat is that it isn't going to mean anything to 99.9999% of the US population since it doesn't even mention CAP.  No one is going to associate it with us so it is an epic fail from a marketing point of view.

The t-shirt is only slightly better since it does have Civil Air Patrol on the back. 

CAPglider792

Pulsar

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2013, 06:09:59 PM
The biggest problem with the hat is that it isn't going to mean anything to 99.9999% of the US population since it doesn't even mention CAP.  No one is going to associate it with us so it is an epic fail from a marketing point of view.

:clap: :clap:
How on earth did they come up with that logo anyway?
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Garibaldi

Just you, old man  >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

Quote from: Pulsar on November 18, 2013, 04:04:54 PMHow on earth did they come up with that logo anyway?
The background is probably similar to this.. device.

Search for history on the Atari Video Music visual synthesizer.

ol'fido

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 18, 2013, 04:08:57 PM

Just you, old man  >:D
Smile when you say that. >:(

;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006