Service Cap, Wing Commander Approval

Started by Nearly Dark Side, October 18, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Nearly Dark Side

I just was promoted to cadet second lieutenant and one of my old cadet commanders has offered me his old cadet officer service cap, when I looked up the regs in 39-1 it said that I needed wing commander approval to wear it as a cadet officer, how would I go about doing this?

Eclipse

Quote from: C/2d Lt Collins on October 18, 2013, 05:57:40 PM
I just was promoted to cadet second lieutenant and one of my old cadet commanders has offered me his old cadet officer service cap, when I looked up the regs in 39-1 it said that I needed wing commander approval to wear it as a cadet officer, how would I go about doing this?

Ask your commander to check with Group or wing - there is likely already supplement to this effect.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Nothing in there about it.
http://pawg.cap.gov/forms-and-publications
Which means fire up the keyboard and ASCII ;-)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2013, 06:00:50 PM
Quote from: C/2d Lt Collins on October 18, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Ask your commander to check with Group or wing - there is likely already supplement to this effect.

Most wings "allow it", but don't have the supplement. Most others allow it, but don't mention the female cover.

capmaj

And 'Congratulations' on the promotion!!

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
Most wings "allow it", but don't have the supplement. Most others allow it, but don't mention the female cover.

I'd bet a Venti 1/2 the CC's in CAP don't know that you >can't< just wear it if you want to.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2013, 09:33:29 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

I'd bet a Venti 1/2 the CC's in CAP don't know that you >can't< just wear it if you want to.

Wouldn't even take you up on a trenta.

lordmonar

How about......just as your squadron commander.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on October 19, 2013, 05:38:52 AM

It's a Wing Commander approval item. Which means only the Wing Commander can approve it. Period.
It they haven't approved it, then you don't wear it. Easy as that.

It's supposed to be in the Wing Supplement, but there's nothing saying they can't issue a seperate authorization.
But it needs to be published. VOCO's don't count...

JC004

This has long been a thing.  Most wings seem unaware it requires an approval for the optional wear.  It seems kind of silly to require approval, as long as it's an optional thing.  Just let cadets wear them if they want to.  Restrict for specific activities if necessary. 

PAWG doesn't have a lot of wing-level publications that fill in those gaps, like, for example, FLWG does.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2013, 05:58:43 AM

It's a Wing Commander approval item. Which means only the Wing Commander can approve it. Period.

It's supposed to be in the Wing Supplement, but there's nothing saying they can't issue a seperate authorization.

I took that to mean that the squadron commander would/should know if it has been authorized by the wing commander.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 20, 2013, 12:33:18 AM

I took that to mean that the squadron commander would/should know if it has been authorized by the wing commander.

I took it that by the time a cadet gets their Mitchell Award they should know how to look this stuff up.

ol'fido

Quote from: PHall on October 20, 2013, 01:24:56 AM

I took it that by the time a cadet gets their Mitchell Award they should know how to look this stuff up.
JMHO, this is something that should be put into 39-1 and not something each wing commander should be approving. Most are probably "hey, whatever" about it anyway. They got bigger fish to fry.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on October 20, 2013, 01:50:12 AM

JMHO, this is something that should be put into 39-1 and not something each wing commander should be approving. Most are probably "hey, whatever" about it anyway. They got bigger fish to fry.

It's in the 39-1. The 39-1 says that cadet officers can wear the service cap with wing commander approval.
There's also a line in the 39-1 that complience with the reg is mandatory too.

(Ref: CAPM 39-1, 23 MAR 2005, Fig 2-26, Note 1 and Fig 2-28, Note 1 and Para 1-1.)

ol'fido

Quote from: PHall on October 20, 2013, 02:21:05 AM

It's in the 39-1. The 39-1 says that cadet officers can wear the service cap with wing commander approval.

(Ref: CAPM 39-1, 23 MAR 2005, Fig 2-26, Note 1 and Fig 2-28, Note 1 and Para 1-1.)
That's not what I meant. 39-1 should just say wear it or not. It shouldn't require wing king approval. I personally don't give a flying rip one way or another, but it's not something that we should have the wing cc having to approve or disapprove. Does that clear it up for ya?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on October 20, 2013, 02:36:43 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 20, 2013, 02:21:05 AM

That's not what I meant. 39-1 should just say wear it or not. It shouldn't require wing king approval. I personally don't give a flying rip one way or another, but it's not something that we should have the wing cc having to approve or disapprove. Does that clear it up for ya?

I know what you're saying, but what's in the 39-1 is what we have to go by until the new 39-1 comes out.
And then we'll follow what it says.

And I wouldn't bet that the next 39-1 will say anything different then what the current one says either.

Mitchell 1969

But....it would appear that some Wings have no place where one can look it up. In fact, when I got my Mitchell Award, such was the case in CA Wing.

Count me among those who think that this is a silly thing to be left up to permission at the Wing level.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

Yes.....but your commander should know if it is approved or not.....and if he does not know...it is better for him to ask the wing commander instead of every Tom, Dick, and Harry cadet.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

This should take no more than a minute currently. Hopefully they fix it. Make it for allowed wear, Phase IV only.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 20, 2013, 06:19:31 AMYes.....but your commander should know if it is approved or not.....and if he does not know...it is better for him to ask the wing commander instead of every Tom, Dick, and Harry cadet.

Not just better, that's the chain.

Rank and file members should not be going VFR direct to the wing CC for anything.

"That Others May Zoom"