I live were a CAP plane is based...

Started by C/Awesomenesss, October 02, 2013, 05:12:33 AM

EMT-83

Well Jack, I guess he showed you. Who can argue with a collage teacher?

ColonelJack

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 03, 2013, 03:59:03 PM
Well Jack, I guess he showed you. Who can argue with a collage teacher?

Yeah, I know.  I'm licking my wounds.

Sheesh ... a "collage" teacher gave him an A+.  Probably on that collage he did.   ;)  And they take his writing "really seriously" instead of "very seriously".  (There is a difference, you know.)

I give up.  To paraphrase the old quote ... "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jeders

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 03, 2013, 04:22:02 PM
I give up.  To paraphrase the old quote ... "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."

No, but one can hit him in the head with the book long enough that learning takes place by osmosis.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 03, 2013, 04:22:02 PM"One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
In Drama/Theater class during my high school era, there was a sign up on the wall by the clock and speaker thing.

"You Gotta Wanna", because the teacher would say basically the same thing.  It's all here, I can show you how to use it, I can make it available, but I can't force you to do anything you don't want to do.

..and somewhere in the thread of discussion would be "Old age and treachery -will- overcome youth and skill". Took me a few years. When dealing with cadet issues, I think back on that. :)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Androbic on October 03, 2013, 02:39:08 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2013, 12:12:30 PM
Well, I can tell you that step #1 is to join CAP.

I have been in CAP for 4 yrs already. Thank you very much.

Great, I was a member for over 20 years. That probably should have been something to mention initially.   Your post reads like a kid who stumbled upon a red white and blue airplane sitting at the local airport.  Not like a 4 year CAP cadet.  Can I assume the airplane you are seeing at the airport belongs to the same squadron in which you are a cadet ?   Id hate to jump to conclusions.  But as a member I would suggest talking to your Deputy Commander for Cadets. The regs are pretty clear about how it works. 

Garibaldi

OK.

I get that this is a message board populated by us old fogies and relatively young cadets.

However, given that my sig file has my grade in it, being addressed in the manner in which I was, to wit, "omg really?" by a cadet senior airman, stirs up some really disgusting feelings inside my brain.

I weep for the future of the world in which adults are not given the level of respect we gave our elders when we were young.

I weep for the future of the world where it is de rigeur to spk in lolspeak and pwn da n00bz 4 bng dum!!!!!11!!!!

I question the level of education of those who are molding this new generation. In a world where kids are routinely given their parents' phone to play with in a store to keep them quiet, or separate DVD players in the back seat of an SUV on long trips, attention spans are decreasing exponentially with each passing year.

This is reflected in the quality of cadets I have seen. Certainly, there are exceptions, but the first time I see an Armstrong essay devoid of punctuation or grammatically incorrect, I will have to question the parents who just don't have a clue about what's going on in junior's brain.

The end of the world won't be nuclear destruction or terror attacks or wars over oil. The end of the world will be when we can't pull our heads out of our collective iPhones and computers and Xboxes long enough to take note of the fact that life is happening. This is where we're headed, a generation with their heads not in the clouds, but in the Cloud.

I offer no apologies for saying what I do with regards to attempting to correct grammar, spelling, and tense and whatnot. Someone has to say something. But, if the cadet in question doesn't take to heart that what he/she is typing makes them look like a complete ignoramus, then woebetide the world.

Call me old fashioned, but that's the world I grew up in. Respecting adults and learning. Not this abomination of technology.

/rant
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 04, 2013, 04:58:35 AM
OK.

I get that this is a message board populated by us old fogies and relatively young cadets.

However, given that my sig file has my grade in it, being addressed in the manner in which I was, to wit, "omg really?" by a cadet senior airman, stirs up some really disgusting feelings inside my brain.

I weep for the future of the world in which adults are not given the level of respect we gave our elders when we were young.

I weep for the future of the world where it is de rigeur to spk in lolspeak and pwn da n00bz 4 bng dum!!!!!11!!!!

I question the level of education of those who are molding this new generation. In a world where kids are routinely given their parents' phone to play with in a store to keep them quiet, or separate DVD players in the back seat of an SUV on long trips, attention spans are decreasing exponentially with each passing year.

This is reflected in the quality of cadets I have seen. Certainly, there are exceptions, but the first time I see an Armstrong essay devoid of punctuation or grammatically incorrect, I will have to question the parents who just don't have a clue about what's going on in junior's brain.

The end of the world won't be nuclear destruction or terror attacks or wars over oil. The end of the world will be when we can't pull our heads out of our collective iPhones and computers and Xboxes long enough to take note of the fact that life is happening. This is where we're headed, a generation with their heads not in the clouds, but in the Cloud.

I offer no apologies for saying what I do with regards to attempting to correct grammar, spelling, and tense and whatnot. Someone has to say something. But, if the cadet in question doesn't take to heart that what he/she is typing makes them look like a complete ignoramus, then woebetide the world.

Call me old fashioned, but that's the world I grew up in. Respecting adults and learning. Not this abomination of technology.

/rant

The end of the world as we know it in say maybe 20-25 years.  By that time mankind's brain will be forever welded to the electronic brain made by Apple, Samsung, Nokia, etc.

enter the Zombies:  Some nutcase (with residual brain cells) pops several nuclear devices oh say 100 -200 miles above ground.  The resulting EMP Pulse would immediately shut down all the cell towers, I-whatevers, tablets, game toys, etc.  Basically the USA would then be populated by old foogies and young zombies.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Майор Хаткевич

Chaplaindon

I have two comments to make:

(1) Noting the cadet who posted the initial inquiry is (according to his signature block) a but a Cadet Senior Airman, his answers and further comments reflect an obvious lack of appropriate respect and deference that a cadet should show towards a senior (Field Grade) CAP officer. I find this to be most unbecoming.

(2) Perhaps such unbecoming conduct and attitude contribute to the fact that this cadet has, by his own admission, been a CAP member for four years and yet only achieved the grade of Cadet Senior Airmen.

It makes me wonder what being his pre-solo flight instructor might be like ... ???
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Майор Хаткевич

One does not simply show respect to others online, when one's only access to the internet is this:

ColonelJack

Quote from: Chaplaindon on October 04, 2013, 05:32:00 PM
I have two comments to make:

(1) Noting the cadet who posted the initial inquiry is (according to his signature block) a but a Cadet Senior Airman, his answers and further comments reflect an obvious lack of appropriate respect and deference that a cadet should show towards a senior (Field Grade) CAP officer. I find this to be most unbecoming.

Chaplain,

That was one of the first things I noticed when Mr. Robinaux began replying to my posts ... the total disrespect for a) an adult, and b) a field-grade officer.  However, since I was trying to make a point of some importance for his future, I refrained from commenting on that.  His conduct was indeed unbecoming a CAP Cadet.  One would think he would have been taught better than that during his four years in the program.

(2) Perhaps such unbecoming conduct and attitude contribute to the fact that this cadet has, by his own admission, been a CAP member for four years and yet only achieved the grade of Cadet Senior Airmen.

Hmmm ... could it perhaps be possible that the attitude I mention for (1) above is an explanation for (2)?

It makes me wonder what being his pre-solo flight instructor might be like ... ???

I hope Mr. Robinaux does indeed get to learn to fly.  I also hope that his instructors are CAP officers and that he learns how to properly speak to them to get any points he needs to make across to them.

One lesson I had to learn the hard way - "What you say is not nearly as important as how you say it, especially if you want to be taken seriously."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 04, 2013, 05:36:34 PM
One does not simply show respect to others online, when one's only access to the internet is this:

As Jimmy Durante would have said, 'Those are the conditions what prevail.  Hot-cha-cha-chaaaaaa."

That doesn't make it right, of course.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

SarDragon

I have had a PM exchange with Mr. Robichaux (note spelling), and he seems to be more interested in being offended than he is accepting our guidance.

Part of my latest commentary:
QuoteWe're not trying to beat up on you, we're trying to guide you. Sometimes guidance might be unpleasant, because it seeks to change your behavior. Making those changes is part of the maturing process.

You state that you want to be a pilot. Yet you show few of the traits necessary to do so. Attention to detail seems like an afterthought, you do not take direction well, and for being in "one of the best squadron in the US", you have made little progress in the cadet program, making me question your initiative.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

Why are all of you distinguished, accomplished, older gentlemen allowing yourselves to be so bothered by the words of some little brat?  Get over it.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Because I'm not yet willing to give up on someone. I can't pay back many of the folks who helped me out, but i can try to pay it forward.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

I stand corrected on the spelling of Mr. Robichaux's name and apologize for my error.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 05, 2013, 02:04:00 AM
I stand corrected on the spelling of Mr. Robichaux's name and apologize for my error.

Jack

It's OK. I get the spelling of my last name wrong on a bunch of things. I forgive you.

TexasCadet

Not all cadets are mindless zombies. In fact, several cadets in my squadron are excellent role models. One was accepted into college at sixteen. Another will go into the Coast Guard Academy next summer. Most of the staff members take AP courses as well.

Flying Pig

I dont believe anyone here thinks they are considering most of us were cadets.