Emergency Landing

Started by sarmed1, September 15, 2013, 11:50:26 AM

sarmed1

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Luis R. Ramos

That is not how we want to sell our Emergency Services CAPabilities...  :P

However thank God no one was hurt, and the worst damage seems to be minor damage to acft...  :clap:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 15, 2013, 12:57:43 PM

However thank God no one was hurt, and the worst damage seems to be minor damage to acft...  :clap:

Any landing you can walk away from...

The ability to use the aircraft for a second sortie is considered a bonus. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

As far as I'm concerned, the pilot did everything right.  :clap:
And I would bet that the CAP Safety Investigation will probably come to the same conclusion too.

Critical AOA

Quote from: PHall on September 15, 2013, 02:41:36 PM
And I would bet that the CAP Safety Investigation will probably come to the same conclusion too.

Hard to say until the investigation is complete.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

JeffDG

Quote from: NIN on September 15, 2013, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: flyer333555 on September 15, 2013, 12:57:43 PM

Any landing you can walk away from...

The ability to use the aircraft for a second sortie is considered a bonus. :)
A "Good" landing is one where you can walk away from it.

A "Great" landing is one where the plane will fly again.

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 15, 2013, 02:53:57 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 15, 2013, 02:41:36 PM

Hard to say until the investigation is complete.

I was thinking exactly this.

If the reason the engine quit was that the engine was oil starved and the sump quantity was missed due to a poor pre-flight, then its the pilot's bad.  Great handing of the emergency and subsequent landing aside, if that was the case then the pilot would probably have not done everything right. (NOTE: I am not suggesting that this is the case here, merely an example of how difficult it is to pre-judge the situation without all of the evidence and/or facts.)

If, however, it was discovered that during the last MX the mechanic backward saftied something inaccessible during preflight and it vibrated loose, causing the engine to lose power, then, sure, the pilot probably did everything right within his purview.

There are a myriad of things that could have precipitated this incident, from fuel management to poor preflight to incorrect operation to simple mechanical failure or poorly performed hidden maintenance.  We just don't know right now. None of us do.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Lord of the North

Just a little more information for the grist mill here.  The engine of this aircraft now has a nice hole in it.  Components failed in flight and was less than 25 hours ours out of its 100 hour inspection.

NIN

Quote from: Lord of the North on September 15, 2013, 08:16:26 PM
Just a little more information for the grist mill here.  The engine of this aircraft now has a nice hole in it.  Components failed in flight and was less than 25 hours ours out of its 100 hour inspection.

Ouch.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

MacGruff

Thank goodness the two CAP members came out of this OK.

All the rest pales by comparison.

PHall

Gee, kinda sounds like that C172 that had the engine crap out over Texas last year.
The low time pilot flying that plane managed to make a good forced landing in that one too.