Main Menu

Masters Degree through CAP?

Started by SuperCAP, September 15, 2013, 06:40:20 AM

SuperCAP

Anybody know details on how to get a Masters Degree through CAP?  Somebody mentioned this to me but I didnt have time to get all the details.  I believe its  through the USAF Distance Learning Courses (AU A4/6).  Seems like you have to have a certain rank in CAP and a Bachelors Degree to qualify.  Just wondering if anyone has been through the process or knows any info on it, thanks.

coudano

Last I heard, the masters degree option for ACSC is not available to CAP enrollees.
You can still take ACSC if you meet requirements, though.

Flying Pig

The Naval Post Grad School in CA allows people in certain public safety positions to attend and obtain their Masters for free, but it requires you to spend a lot of time there on site.  My last agency would let us do it but you had to take a leave of absence for a few months...... Meaning no pay or bennies. 

I looked in my old emails but I don't have the info.   Not anything I was interested in, but someone may want to research it.

MSG Mac

Quote from: coudano on September 15, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
Last I heard, the masters degree option for ACSC is not available to CAP enrollees.
You can still take ACSC if you meet requirements, though.

You may want to contact AU directly for the "OfficialWord" on the requirements for the Master's degree.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SARDOC

In Looking at their website it looks like that CAP is still not eligible for the Masters' degree program via distance learning.  You can always take the typical program that we are eligible and apply it to a degree at a university that will apply those credits to their masters' program.

SARDOC

I'm glad someone brought this up anyway.  Has anybody taken SOS, ACSC or AWC recently?  What do you think of the new program?

I'm looking at starting SOS soon and was just curious to see what people though of the course itself, not necessarily it's applicability to CAP.

Alaric

Quote from: SARDOC on September 16, 2013, 12:02:56 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up anyway.  Has anybody taken SOS, ACSC or AWC recently?  What do you think of the new program?

I'm looking at starting SOS soon and was just curious to see what people though of the course itself, not necessarily it's applicability to CAP.

Am just starting the ACSC

Brad

I sent in my request for SOS, and at first they tried to have me submit eligibility on the civilian side and not the CAP side. I wrote them back saying I was applying as a CAP member and not a civilian. They said ok and that it would submitted for reprocessing that way. Never heard anything back. That was months ago. I think they forgot about me.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SARDOC

Quote from: Brad on September 18, 2013, 06:36:52 PM
I sent in my request for SOS, and at first they tried to have me submit eligibility on the civilian side and not the CAP side. I wrote them back saying I was applying as a CAP member and not a civilian. They said ok and that it would submitted for reprocessing that way. Never heard anything back. That was months ago. I think they forgot about me.

Yeah, if it's been a few months I would probably follow up.

CAP_truth

Per national headquarters all members are required to have acollege degree from an accredited scholl to enroll in SOS, ACSC or AWC. AF rule not CAP
Cadet CoP
Wilson

OldGuard

The Air University Portal for SOS has been down for over a month.
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SARDOC on September 16, 2013, 12:00:30 AM
In Looking at their website it looks like that CAP is still not eligible for the Masters' degree program via distance learning.  You can always take the typical program that we are eligible and apply it to a degree at a university that will apply those credits to their masters' program.

Trident University International (formerly Touro University International) had, may still have, a MBA that gave credit for ACSC, about 9 units out of 30-32 required. Regionally accredited, distance learning.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SARDOC

American Public/Military University will take the ACSC or AWC for credit as well.  Also regionally accredited.

skymaster

Quote from: OldGuard on September 21, 2013, 07:42:17 PM

The Air University Portal for SOS has been down for over a month.

Did you contact the CAP NHQ Professional Development Registrar? I recently completed the AF Squadron Officer School Distance Learning Program, and I was informed when I signed up that I had to contact her directly, as she is the ONLY person who can enroll you for SOS as a CAP member. Per http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/ : To enroll send an email to ProDev@capnhq.gov requesting enrollment information for the SOS DL course.  You will be contacted by CAP NHQ staff and provided with enrollment instructions. (NOTE: Be prepared with a copy of your Bachelor Degree transcript, because she WILL ask for it. DO NOT, however, email it to her until she requests it). Also, keep in mind that Air University only offers time extensions for testing and course completion under extreme circumstances, so be prepared to have all tests completed well before the required times. Though testing on base will give you your passing scores immediately, the official grades won't be posted for almost a month afterwards.

SAREXinNY

Quote from: SARDOC on September 22, 2013, 02:56:11 AM
American Public/Military University will take the ACSC or AWC for credit as well.  Also regionally accredited.

I received my Master of Arts from APU/AMU just a couple of years ago. I would highly recommend it. Very high quality program, and my entire degree would have cost $11,900.00 (but my employer picked up most of that tab). This is pretty inexpensive when compared to most other schools. They also have some very interesting and unique programs.  Just thought I'd throw my endorsement out there in case anyone was looking.

GroundHawg

Not trying to start anything, but a lot companies (at least locally) will not consider college degrees from for-profit institutions, regionally accredited or not. I don't agree with it, but the warning needs to be thrown out just in case. 

There are many colleges and universities that give post grad credit for the AU distance courses, it would foolish to not consider them, as they are a great way to knock out electives if you already have your BA or BS. I plan on enrolling in SOS as soon as I make Captain.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: GroundHawg on September 25, 2013, 02:49:40 AM
Not trying to start anything, but a lot companies (at least locally) will not consider college degrees from for-profit institutions, regionally accredited or not. I don't agree with it, but the warning needs to be thrown out just in case. 

There are many colleges and universities that give post grad credit for the AU distance courses, it would foolish to not consider them, as they are a great way to knock out electives if you already have your BA or BS. I plan on enrolling in SOS as soon as I make Captain.

A "lot?"  Name three.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SAREXinNY

Well, I'm a government employee and the government paid for about 75% of my degree (so they must see some benefit to me/them from me attending).  On top of that, I also got hired as an adjunct instructor at a local college here immediately upon graduating from my Masters program.  I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments, and I've never regretted my decision to go to APU/AMU.  And I have no idea what kind of "local companies" you are speaking of, but the federal government looks upon APU/AMU pretty favorably.  The fact they are for-profit is irrelevant.

DrJbdm

How much credit does AMU give towards a masters degree if you have ACSC? As a side note, I'm glad that AU is now requiring a bachelors degree for SOS, ACSC, AWC.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't AU requiring that the undergrad degree be from a regionally accredited school?

SAREXinNY

Quote from: DrJbdm on September 27, 2013, 11:33:52 AM
How much credit does AMU give towards a masters degree if you have ACSC? As a side note, I'm glad that AU is now requiring a bachelors degree for SOS, ACSC, AWC.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't AU requiring that the undergrad degree be from a regionally accredited school?

I got my Masters before joining CAP, so I'm not sure how much credit they award for ACSC.  I'm still a little new to CAP so I haven't taken anything through AU, yet (but I look forward to doing so!).