CAP Grid for iPad - Locate and view any grid in seconds

Started by bigfootpilot, August 30, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

bigfootpilot

Hi All,

I have a new app available for iPad called CAP Grid.  Please take a look and send me what feedback you have.

Description:
Locate any search grid in seconds with CAP Grid. Whether you're using the conventional or cell grid system, you can select your grid via the easy interface or simply press on the map to zoom to the grid at that point. Civil Air Patrol aircrews, ground teams, and other SAR personnel can then familiarize themselves with grid features prior to the sortie and with much greater detail than any paper map.

Conventional grid supports all 37 sectionals covering the entire continental United States
View grids in Map, Hybrid, Satellite, or Terrain modes at any zoom level
Touch any point on the map to zoom to the grid and see the grid designation
One touch launches ForeFlight with your grid as the preloaded flight plan *ForeFlight installation required
Specify a Sectional in preferences to load it immediately when launching the app

Link to the app in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cap-grid/id691459590

See a demo of the app: http://www.goflycap.com/cap-aviation/apps/cap-grid-demo

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Awesome Michael!!

My only suggestion would be to add the grid number in the Grid display.

Robborsari

Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

bigfootpilot

I've heard from a few folks (and confirmed) that there is an error in the database for the LAX sectional.  It's 4 degrees too far north.  Be assured, I'll get that fixed ASAP!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: A.Member on August 30, 2013, 06:20:05 PM
Make it work with Garmin Pilot (Android)

In the post or the video link it talks about using the Apple Maps. Port to Android could be a bear.

bigfootpilot

The update that fixes the sectional errors is now available on the App Store (finally...). 

bigfootpilot

Quote from: Mission Pilot on August 30, 2013, 04:43:54 PM

Check out version 1.1 when you get a chance.  I've incorporated your suggestion along with a few others, like easier input of grid numbers.  Any other suggestions, please let me know.

vento

Quote from: bigfootpilot on September 13, 2013, 11:33:34 PM

Check out version 1.1 when you get a chance.  I've incorporated your suggestion along with a few others, like easier input of grid numbers.  Any other suggestions, please let me know.

1.1 is working great, and LAX sectional worked as advertised.
Now, the next suggestion may be a wet dream but I will throw it out anyway. It would be nice if we can specify from which corner to enter the grid, right now it always starts at the SE corner. I can easily add the waypoints, airports, or intersections before the lat lon in Foreflight in front of the grid so that I can use it all the way to the grid, but trying to cut and past the coordinates for the 4 corners can be a chore prune to mistakes.
Thanks!

Paul Creed III

Would it be possible to add a toggle to actually view the grid numbers directly on the map?
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: bigfootpilot on September 13, 2013, 11:33:34 PM

Rocking, thank you!! 

BTW, I used both apps in the last week and they are awesome.

bigfootpilot

Quote from: Paul Creed III on September 14, 2013, 03:29:43 PM
Would it be possible to add a toggle to actually view the grid numbers directly on the map?

If you have the latest version, I believe it does what you're asking.  If not, maybe ask it another way.  It's not a toggle, but that's not a bad idea.

vento

Just got this from CAWG, I don't suppose it is vetted by NHQ (nor is the chart I gridded myself) but still it should be a useful tool.

Attention:  ForeFlight Users – All others may delete.

I was notified this morning by ForeFlight that v5.4 was submitted to the App Store.  V5.4 of the ForeFlight application contains the long awaited CAP Grid / SAR capabilities.  I just wanted to pass this message along to all of those who may be interested.  This update should hit iPhones and iPads within a week.

Steve Groner

Director of IT, CAWG

SunDog

You are the finest man that ever lived. . .

I flew some patterns with a "modern" GPS last weekend, just working out methods; lat/long, timing, mix-and-match - backed it up with my iPad. Pretty sure this will move my iPad to "primary" for search patterns, and the panel mount will become the "backup".

Now just a need a big ol' roll of velcro to stick it to the panel so I don;t have to keep looking at my kneeboard. Maybe I should get a mini and a yoke mount?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: SunDog on September 17, 2013, 09:52:37 PM
I flew some patterns with a "modern" GPS last weekend, just working out methods; lat/long, timing, mix-and-match - backed it up with my iPad. Pretty sure this will move my iPad to "primary" for search patterns, and the panel mount will become the "backup".

Just a note: I highly suggest that you continue to use the panel mount for GPS marking of targets.  I ran a mission a couple of weeks ago and asked the crew for a lat/long for a target that I was to pass off to AFRCC.  After receiving the target's coordinates I cross checked with Google Earth and realized that the coordinates were miles off.  At this point they were RTB and had to be sent back to get the right coordinates.  The MO had used ForeFlight on an iPad!!!!  Perhaps he did not have Degrees Decimal Minutes setup correctly.

Now just a need a big ol' roll of velcro to stick it to the panel so I don;t have to keep looking at my kneeboard. Maybe I should get a mini and a yoke mount?

I use a RAM mount with the iPad mini and it rocks!!  I have a picture somewhere.

JeffDG

You are the finest man that ever lived. . .

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/15728?utm_source=PilotShop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EmailAFriend

I have one, and I like it.

SunDog

Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 17, 2013, 10:09:29 PM

Just a note: I highly suggest that you continue to use the panel mount for GPS marking of targets.  I ran a mission a couple of weeks ago and asked the crew for a lat/long for a target that I was to pass off to AFRCC.  After receiving the target's coordinates I cross checked with Google Earth and realized that the coordinates were miles off.  At this point they were RTB and had to be sent back to get the right coordinates.  The MO had used ForeFlight on an iPad!!!!  Perhaps he did not have Degrees Decimal Minutes setup correctly.

I use a RAM mount with the iPad mini and it rocks!!  I have a picture somewhere.

Ah, yes, thanks, good to note, good tip.  I had noticed that the finger-touch lat/long isn't too precise. I had a Garmin 96C hand-held on a yoke mount, and used it, my iPad, and the panel mount togther for a few flights, and it was eerie how well they agreed. Sold the 96C, once I trusted the Dual/iPad combo.

Is the RAM  mount good? Are you happy with the choice?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Very, very happy.  I used the larger iPad for awhile but as soon as the mini came out I bought it and sold the iPad Boat Anchor :)

I fly with the mini in vertical orientation on the right side of the yoke.  That still leaves plenty of room on the left side for my hand.  The vertical orientation is best for plate viewing, and track up flying. The G1000 yoke fits the RAM mount better as you can place the tightening screw vertically downwards and the extender low in the bottom of the right U in the yoke.  Some restart 182's seem more difficult to setup due to the placement of the headset jacks below the yoke and the inordinately log RAM mount tightening screw.  For those I setup the iPad vertically.

CAP Grid for iPad is an excellent tool for CAP Aircrews!

JeffDG

The RAM mount is handy because you can get the mount, then you can get different attachments for it.

For example, I like the windshield suction cup...iPad 2, no problem with the weight at all.  But I could add a yoke mount, or even something that might be handy, a seat-rail mount, with the same cradle and such just snapping into the system.

Eclipse

Those little rings on the windscreens drive our wing POC nuts!

"That Others May Zoom"