Promotion Board

Started by inactive123, June 21, 2013, 01:14:45 PM

inactive123

Do all Squadrons require promotion boards? I have completed all the requirements for the Wright Brother's Award except for the Approval, which in my squadron requires a review board. I will be transferring squadrons shortly.
Thanks
C/MSgt

MIKE

Quote from:  CAPR 52-165-2. d. Promotion Boards. Although not required, squadrons may hold promotion boards
(sometimes called boards of review) to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the
increased responsibilities that come with their promotions. If used, promotion boards must meet the
following criteria:
(1) A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the promotion board's basis for discussion.
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through
achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion board policies consistently, with all cadets
being subject to the same process.
Mike Johnston

abdsp51

Not every squadron holds promotion boards and they are not required per 52-16.  However a feedback is required for each phase and needs to be documented on a CAPF 50 associated with the phase the cadet is in. For us we hold boards for the following achievments

Wright Bros
Lindbergh
Goddard
Mitchell
Earheart

This is just what we do, and has been mentioned before not all units are the same.

MajorM

We do Wright, Goddard, Mitchell, Earhart, and Spaatz.  The board composition changes the higher you go with more senior presence up the line.

dwb

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 21, 2013, 01:14:45 PM
   Do all Squadrons require promotion boards? I have completed all the requirements for the Wright Brother's Award except for the Approval, which in my squadron requires a review board. I will be transferring squadrons shortly.
Thanks

Is one of these things causing the other? I think we (senior members) owe it to our cadets to provide periodic leadership feedback. Frankly, it's not fair to cadets to let them go without any kind of feedback.

You'll have performance reviews of some type when you're a working adult, why shouldn't you have them as a budding cadet leader? If your squadron is using the standard leadership feedback forms, it should be a beneficial snapshot of where you are compared to where CAP expects cadets of your rank to be. It's a good thing.