Main Menu

CAP Kilt

Started by cadetbritton, June 10, 2013, 03:21:05 AM

Private Investigator

Interesting.

Actually wearing a glengarry with the aviator shirt combo I believe would be rather smashing indeed.  8)

cadetbritton

Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2013, 03:05:54 AM
Quote from: cadetbritton on June 12, 2013, 01:51:23 AM
Thank you Sir, I already play in a Bagpipe band and when I joined CAP I wanted to be my squadron's piper.  I march and play with my drill team and I am the Honor Guard Piper.  I know the USAF has a pipe band and I already contacted them to see if it was possible to be issued a uniform but they wouldn't be able to.  CAP is part of the USAF and the USAF authorized a uniform with a kilt for their bagpipers so I believe we should follow in the foot steps of the USAF (like we do with all of our other uniforms) and authorize a uniform for our pipers.  Could this be handled at the Wind level?  Not changing 39-1 (because lets face it I wouldn't be a cadet once they pass it if they even do) but making an exception/change to the uniform just for me so I could wear a kilt with the blues dress shirt, class-a jacket, and usaf tie etc to preform functions for my squadron/wing?

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

You want NHQ to issue a uniform exemption just for you?!?!? Good luck with that.

Is there some reason your normal service dress can't be worn while you play bagpipes?

No offense buddy, but it sounds like you just want to stand out and look special. Let it go, wear the uniform as prescribed.

Well if the Air Force has a kilt, the Navy has a kilt, the Marines has a kilt, and the Coast Guard has a kilt.  Based on that I don't believe that what I am saying is outrageous.  Seriously though can this be handled at the wing level if I work with Wing to design a pipers uniform for New Hampshire that incorporates the blues uniform so its still partially in regs?? 

Also to the Man with the photos of the CAP bagpipe band, What tartan was the kilt that you guys were wearing.  From what I could see it looked like the Blackwatch (Canadian Reserves) tartan.  The Blackwatch tartan is what I was thinking of recommending to Wing as the NH CAP kilt (because of the color not because of being Canadian)

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

MSG Mac

Quote from: sab163 on June 12, 2013, 03:02:20 AM
my squadron had a bag pipe band and did wear kilts lets see if i can post the photo correctly

The guy with the drum and leopard skin later became MAWG Commander. RIP Ed.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Critical AOA

Thank you Sir, I already play in a Bagpipe band and when I joined CAP I wanted to be my squadron's piper.  I march and play with my drill team and I am the Honor Guard Piper.  I know the USAF has a pipe band and I already contacted them to see if it was possible to be issued a uniform but they wouldn't be able to.  CAP is part of the USAF and the USAF authorized a uniform with a kilt for their bagpipers so I believe we should follow in the foot steps of the USAF (like we do with all of our other uniforms) and authorize a uniform for our pipers.  Could this be handled at the Wind level?  Not changing 39-1 (because lets face it I wouldn't be a cadet once they pass it if they even do) but making an exception/change to the uniform just for me so I could wear a kilt with the blues dress shirt, class-a jacket, and usaf tie etc to preform functions for my squadron/wing?

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

You want NHQ to issue a uniform exemption just for you?!?!? Good luck with that.

Is there some reason your normal service dress can't be worn while you play bagpipes?

No offense buddy, but it sounds like you just want to stand out and look special. Let it go, wear the uniform as prescribed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Quote from: cadetbritton on June 12, 2013, 11:12:32 AM
Well if the Air Force has a kilt, the Navy has a kilt, the Marines has a kilt, and the Coast Guard has a kilt.  Based on that I don't believe that what I am saying is outrageous.  Seriously though can this be handled at the wing level if I work with Wing to design a pipers uniform for New Hampshire that incorporates the blues uniform so its still partially in regs?? 

Also to the Man with the photos of the CAP bagpipe band, What tartan was the kilt that you guys were wearing.  From what I could see it looked like the Blackwatch (Canadian Reserves) tartan.  The Blackwatch tartan is what I was thinking of recommending to Wing as the NH CAP kilt (because of the color not because of being Canadian)

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

Two comments:

#1. I've been a part of the Navy community my entire life, and do not recall ever seeing a sailor in a kilt. Ever. Could you post a picture, or a link, so I might have the pleasure of that experience.

#2. The AF has an official tartan, and that would be the one recommended for use by CAP personnel.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

U. S. Navy Tartan

C'mon Dave, at first I thought this was you in your kilt...
>:D

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

cadetbritton

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2013, 09:35:12 PM

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

Two comments:

#1. I've been a part of the Navy community my entire life, and do not recall ever seeing a sailor in a kilt. Ever. Could you post a picture, or a link, so I might have the pleasure of that experience.

#2. The AF has an official tartan, and that would be the one recommended for use by CAP personnel.

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 13, 2013, 01:05:21 AM
U. S. Navy Tartan

Al Sayre posted that and I think it looks good with that uniform not that it has anything to do with CAP

#2 All I was getting at is I was going to recommend it to the blackwatch kilt to the wing commander because I believe that it would look good but all it would be is a recommendation it would be up to him or the NER Commander if he is not able to make that decision.

sorry the picture is so big.  And I honestly believe that kilt would look good with the blues jacket, blues shirt, USAF tie& tie bar, and dark blue hoes (knee socks) not white, and with the black ghillie brogues (scottish shoes worn with kilts)

SJFedor

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

As it's a modification of a USAF uniform, it would need to go through channels to HQ CAP-USAF, and from there I believe it would have to be blessed by the USAF Chief of Staff. The USAF controls CAP's abilities to wear modified versions of their uniforms. So, no, it can't be authorized at the Wing level. The things a Wing/CC CAN authorize are found in 39-1.

That, and I can't find a single reference to the tartans in 36-2903. I would imagine the AFRes band has a special authorization for them.

Let it go, brother. It's mildly neat, but it's not worth the headache and effort.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 13, 2013, 01:05:21 AM

C'mon Dave, at first I thought this was you in your kilt...
>:D

Too little hair on top, too much in the beard.

OK, there's a USN tartan. Who wears it?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on June 13, 2013, 06:23:47 AM

Only the manliest of sailors. So I am guessing Marines   ;)

GroundHawg

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/index.aspx

If you use their search feature, you will find that every branch, and sometimes even career field has its own Tartan. I don't see why the CAP could not have their own. I come from a long line of Scots on both sides, actively participate in in my Caledonian Society, and used to compete in Highland Games. I for one would love to have a CAP Tartan, and to see CAP represented at a tattoo or pipe and drum competition. You will find a lot of negativity on these boards, if this is something you really want to pursue... DO IT.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 13, 2013, 08:38:52 AM

The USMC has their own ;)

davedove

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 13, 2013, 11:49:12 AM
http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/index.aspx

If you use their search feature, you will find that every branch, and sometimes even career field has its own Tartan. I don't see why the CAP could not have their own. I come from a long line of Scots on both sides, actively participate in in my Caledonian Society, and used to compete in Highland Games. I for one would love to have a CAP Tartan, and to see CAP represented at a tattoo or pipe and drum competition. You will find a lot of negativity on these boards, if this is something you really want to pursue... DO IT.

You could always design one and run it up the chain.  If I were to do it, I would probably base it off an Air Force tartan, maybe throw in some Civil Defense symbolic colors.  If one were designed, I would probably get a kilt made in the tartan.

Who knows, it might get made official.

Whether there were any provision for kilt wear in an official uniform is another issue altogether. :o
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Tim Day

C/SSgt,

I recommend you proceed. If you contact the USAF unit that wears the kilt, they may even be able to provide you with some historical background or other support. Whether the ultimate answer is yes or no, asking the question shows initiative.

There are some strategies to doing this successfully that you can learn and implement. For example, building some support by discussing with your CC. Do your research and write a memorandum for your chain of command using the official CAP format.

Your tactic should be to make it easy to say "yes."
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Critical AOA

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 13, 2013, 08:38:52 AM

:clap:
Now that's funny!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

This is one of those.......don't worry about it and just coordinate it locally....things.

You want to have a piper for some special occasion......go for it.   Coordinate it with your local commander and go with it.  Please remember to keep it in good taste and moderation is always a good thing.

Don't start wearing it everywhere.

The purists and Regulation Lawyers will scream bloody murder.   So just ignore them.

Let the flames begin!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

FWIW, somewhere out there on the interwebs, there is, or used to be, a tartan maker. plug in colors and a style, and presto, a tartan.

Found one: http://www.tartanmaker.com/

And here's what I found on the USAFR Pipe Band kilts: http://www.kilts.com/USAirForcetartan.htm
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MHC5096

Here is some information on the Pipes and Drums of the United States Military Academy:

http://www.usma.edu/pipes/SitePages/Home.aspx

And the Pipes and Drums of the United States Naval Academy:

http://www.usna.edu/Pipes/index.html
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

a2capt

Quote from: lordmonar on June 13, 2013, 11:02:29 PMYou want to have a piper for some special occasion......go for it.   Coordinate it with your local commander and go with it.  Please remember to keep it in good taste and moderation is always a good thing.
We do, and that's exactly what we've done. Works great, the cadet is an award winning piper, and the whole thing comes off amazing, every time.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on June 13, 2013, 11:02:29 PM
This is one of those.......don't worry about it and just coordinate it locally....things.

You want to have a piper for some special occasion......go for it.   Coordinate it with your local commander and go with it.  Please remember to keep it in good taste and moderation is always a good thing.

Don't start wearing it everywhere.

The purists and Regulation Lawyers will scream bloody murder.   So just ignore them.

Let the flames begin!

You very well know that we can't just take an Air Force or CAP uniform and modify it for our own purpose without the proper approval. You're advising a cadet to ignore the rules and chain of command and do what he wants as long as it's ok with his unit. That's not good advice to a young cadet.

cadetbritton,

If this is important to you, I suggest you pursue it through the proper channels. Even if you're not initially successful, you will get the discussion going and, who knows, maybe it will happen in the future. Good leaders don't just break the rules when it suits them. Stick to the core values and you won't go wrong. Good luck!