Bagram Air Base 747F Crash - Stall on Departure

Started by a2capt, April 30, 2013, 08:09:32 PM

a2capt

Bagram airfield crash 29 apr 2013
7 killed. American aircrew, National Air Cargo 747F.

All scuttlebutt until confirmed: Cargo consisted of vehicles and typical items, though it sure looks like something broke loose and caused an irrecoverable situation.

The departures are typically high angle of attack climbs to get out of range of RPGs before departing the area around the air base.

Eclipse

No words watching that thing just hang there and then crash.

For clarity, the dash came says Feb 1, but this was yesterday.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17969621-officials-cargo-plane-crashes-at-bagram-airfield-afghanistan

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

No, I don't think something broke loose. If you've ever seen the way the military secures air cargo, you would know that's very, very unlikely.
But a heavily loaded aircraft (full fuel and probably max cargo) trying to do a "threat avoidance departure", yeah if you don't watch the air speed and vertical velosity like a hawk it's very easy to end up "behind the power curve" in the literal sense of the word.

What I saw on that video was a straight ahead climb departure stall. They tried to climb faster then the airplane was capable of doing.
That's the reason you compare your initial climb speed with the stall speed for the configuration you're in, (in this case gear up and flaps in takeoff position) and VMCA (Minimum Air Control Speed). If you fly slower then VMCA, you will lose control. If you fly slower then stall speed, you will stall.
Stalling at high gross weights near the ground is usually not suvivable.
In the AF you campare it with 2 Eng VMCA (2 failed engines on the same side), the military always assumes the worst will happen.

Should be interesting to see what the "black boxes" have to say.

SarDragon

Load shift during/after a cat shot.

Navy C-2 Greyhound Crash

That video is many years olde. I still see E-1s on the flight deck. That would place the time between '66 and '77.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

I was on that exact plane about 2 weeks ago. It was based here in Fresno for about 10 days. Left last week to head over.  Sad deal. The crew gave us a tour. 

docsteve

Word in the ether is one/more of the five military trucks on-board may have shifted in the climb-out.

Aircraft was an ex-Air France 747-400BCF -- no pop-up nose, just a side hatch.
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain

Thrashed

Not likely that its pilot flying error. You don't just stall a Boeing. It would be screaming at you and the stick shaker going strong. Got to be a W&B issue.

Save the triangle thingy

docsteve

Quote from: SarDragon on May 01, 2013, 01:35:46 AM
Load shift during/after a cat shot.

That video is many years olde. I still see E-1s on the flight deck. That would place the time between '66 and '77.

Dec 15, 1970, U.S.S. Ranger (CV 61) on Yankee Station
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain