FAA closing 149 towers

Started by Brad, March 22, 2013, 09:26:55 PM

Brad

QuoteUnder orders to trim hundreds of millions of dollars from its budget, the Federal Aviation Administration released a final list Friday of 149 air traffic control towers that it will close at small airports around the country starting early next month.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/22/faa-to-close-14-air-traffic-towers-citing-sequester

Here's the full list:

http://www.faa.gov/news/media/fct_closed.pdf

Fly safe boys and girls!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

So they become "uncontrolled" airports, big whoop. Learn to use Unicom.

The towers to be closed are manned with contractor personnel, not FAA government employees.
If the owners of the airport want to pay the controllers wages, the tower can stay open.

NIN

There is a contract tower at Nashua Airport that will be closing.  Nashua is pretty busy, but it has just ONE runway.  Folks who fly know how to get into and out of uncontrolled airports just fine.   Its not like they have scheduled service into most of these airports.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

cm42

KOSU is going to be pretty interesting...

Student pilots, private jet aircraft, medical helicopters, and about 10 miles from a mildly busy Class C, somewhat north of eastbound finals.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on March 23, 2013, 02:13:16 AM
There is a contract tower at Nashua Airport that will be closing.  Nashua is pretty busy, but it has just ONE runway.  Folks who fly know how to get into and out of uncontrolled airports just fine.   Its not like they have scheduled service into most of these airports.

One (BMI) actually has a fair amount of scheduled service, mostly codeshare "Express" flights, but they'll do fine.

bflynn

Quote from: cm42 on March 23, 2013, 02:30:07 AM
KOSU is going to be pretty interesting...

Student pilots, private jet aircraft, medical helicopters, and about 10 miles from a mildly busy Class C, somewhat north of eastbound finals.

At 187 operations per day (airnav), that's 7 per hour or about 1 every 9 minutes.  Certainly it gets busier during certain times, but any popular airport does.  Our Saturday morning push - or the entire day if the weather is nice - has 2-3 aircraft stacked up waiting to take off and another 1-2 in the pattern practicing and we manage quite nicely without a tower.

The multiple runway will just mean you have to keep your head on a swivel, IF they keep all the runways open.  Personally, I don't like multiple runway uncontrolled airports, I find too many places I should be looking...but if it's the right place to land, then it's the right place.

bosshawk

I truly get tired of the press making a big deal out of not having a control tower operating.  For some reason the several thousand airports in the US that don't have towers and never have, manage to get along just fine.  There is no doubt that a tower makes things safer at an airport that has a lot of traffic, but it isn't the end of the world for the pilots.  The last time that I checked, the controllers were not flying the aircraft.

I live fairly near Castle Airport(the former Castle AFB) and the big issue there is a flight school that caters to Chinese, Korean and Viet Namese students.  Those kids have a tough time speaking English and an even tougher time understanding the language, so I will be extra cautious going into and out of Castle. 
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

redfox98

Better start reading the AFD.  Some of these airports have dual facing ILS systems, which the tower switches when the winds change. also bunch of the AFD entries say ILS unmonitored when the tower is closed, as most closed at 10pm and reopened at 7am.  Will those ILS systems now be unmonitored? The controllers provided limited weather obs capability.  For VFR not much of a problem. For IFR-- you decide.  Read the notams starting Apr 7. If it doesn't get bogged down.  I do notice most of those kept open have something of a military presence like Rosecrans- in St. Joe, MO.

bflynn

Quote from: redfox98 on March 23, 2013, 12:52:01 PM
Better start reading the AFD.  Some of these airports have dual facing ILS systems, which the tower switches when the winds change. also bunch of the AFD entries say ILS unmonitored when the tower is closed, as most closed at 10pm and reopened at 7am.  Will those ILS systems now be unmonitored? The controllers provided limited weather obs capability.  For VFR not much of a problem. For IFR-- you decide.  Read the notams starting Apr 7. If it doesn't get bogged down.  I do notice most of those kept open have something of a military presence like Rosecrans- in St. Joe, MO.

For IFR aircraft, they still get their box and controllers will monitor that.  But yes, there is an issue with non-IFR aircraft that don't appear on radar, there always has been at all the uncontrolled airports.  Flying on a MVFR day, you could break out and find another airplane right in front of you.  That isn't a control tower issue, it's a VFR/IFR issue.

I think what we might expect is to see some of these airports reconfigured over the coming years for safer operation.  I've seen the list of the five in North Carolina and I really can't argue with any of them.  The only reason they have towers is because they have a few commercial flights every day.  Commercial flights can land perfectly fine using the CTAF as long as the pilots work themselves into the traffic pattern.

Critical AOA

Three interesting closures:
FDK – Home of AOPA
OSH – Home of EAA / Airventure
LAL – Home of Sun 'n Fun

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

^ Presumably those private activities are more then capable of bringing in contract controllers during the couple weeks of their events.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2013, 01:11:40 AM
^ Presumably those private activities are more then capable of bringing in contract controllers during the couple weeks of their events.

These towers had contract controllers, that's why the FAA decided to cut them.
It's easy to get rid of a contractor, darn near impossible to get rid of a government employee.

Eclipse

My point was that they aren't going to cancel either of those activities because of lack of controllers.  The activities will simply bring them back for those weeks.

FDK's actually pretty busy, and I would imagine the fact that the tower isn't even a year old will cause some gnashing of teeth.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

some/many of those towers close during off-peak hours anyway.
COU i think closes at 9pm

Apparently commercial air carriers can fly in and out of airports without towers?
I know some small rural airports without towers take kingairs down to the bigger ones
but like a CRJ or something, into an uncontrolled field?  i guess... (why not?)

PHall

Quote from: coudano on March 24, 2013, 02:12:04 AM

Apparently commercial air carriers can fly in and out of airports without towers?
I know some small rural airports without towers take kingairs down to the bigger ones

They can make the advisory calls on UNICOM just as well as anybody else.
Seen it done in a lot of places. Matter of fact it's very common in many areas of the Pacific. (i.e. Kwajalien, Pago Pago, Roi Namour)

OldGuard

Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

wuzafuzz

Quote from: coudano on March 24, 2013, 02:12:04 AM

I used to work at KOXR and the airlines operated after the tower closed each day.  Some of them were flying Brasilias without the tower's help.  Now I live near KFNL where Allegiant Airlines routinely operated MD-82'ss without the benefit of a tower.  They left last year though.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

NIN

The airport near me, KCON, has no tower.  For at least two weekends a year, it becomes one of the busiest airports in New England as NASCAR's Air Force migrates up from North Carolina for the races at NHIS.  Everything from King Airs and PC-12s to Saabs and Gulfstreams.  (Heck, Roush Racing, I think, used to have at least one 727 they'd fly in with.  It would be parked wayyy on the otherside of the field on the closed runway, and everybody within a mile would know they were leaving since they'd taxi right to very threshold of 17, point that behemoth down the runway, and spool all three to 100%, hold it in the brakes for as long as possible, then rocket away.  I'm pretty sure they used all 6005 ft to their full advantage)  Everybody, including all the MD500s and Bell 204s shuttling people from the track to the airport ramp, are on the Unicom talking to one another.

Same goes for KLCI up north of the track.  They have one runway and no tower.  Dozens of jets and light turboprops and no issues with traffic.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cliff_Chambliss

The last time I bothered to count there were in the neighborhood of 5,200 public use airports in the US.  Of this number only 530 had operating control towers. 

(Request:  Please consider saying non-towered as opposed to uncontrolled.  In fact non-towered airports require more self control, precision, and attention to detail than do towered airports.)

These non-tower airports range from such mega field as Addison, Al. (a delightful grass municipal airport but read the AFD Remarks:  "Runway marked by white cones, Runway length and width subject to change without notice"). to some really large ex-military facilities.

My point is other than what I perceive as political grandstanding the overall effect should be negligible.  However, there are a number of pilots who have operated out of towered airports for so long and they have in fact abdicated their authority as Pilots in Command to ATC 'control' for so long that they just will not go to a non-towered airfield if there is any way at all to avoid it.  (Suggestion:  amend Form 5 checkouts to require landings and takeoffs from both towered and non-towered airfields.)

So, as the 149 towers close, maybe it's time to step back and review some FAA Publications such as 14CFR91, AIM, AFD, PHAK, AC's, etc pertainiong to non-towered operations, to pay a little more attention, be a little more considerate, think a bit more, and be a more aware of what the other guy is doing.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Cliff_Chambliss

Adding a bit to history:
  The first "Control towers" were not put in place by the FAA , CAA, or CAB.  The first control towers were put in place by indivial airports.  The present runway numbering system was not created by any government agency, it was developed by one individual airport and later adopted and made "code" by the Air Commerce Act of 1926. 
  In all things aviation advances, improvements, and innovations have come from the private sctor and not the government.  Pilots, aircrew, and airport operators will find a safe efficient way to keep the planes moving safely.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.