Main Menu

Staff Training

Started by jstobbsvergara13, February 28, 2013, 12:03:38 AM

jstobbsvergara13

So after being accepted into staff for our 2013 encampment I'm nervously awaiting any information about staff training and I have some questions for those of you who have gone through this process before  :D.  What is training like? How long- ish is it? and any tips on how to make a good impression/ survive staff training? oh also, is it anything like what being a basic was like? Thanks!

Duke Dillio

The easy answer to all of your questions is "It Depends."  It depends on who is running the training, how interested they are in it, how long they feel that it should take, which side of the bed they woke up on, etc. 

The best advice for required staff training is to listen carefully.  You don't really need to make a good impression at this point as you have already been selected for staff.  Your focus should be on learning your duties and performing those duties.  Staff training is nothing like being a basic.  It is focused on giving you the information that you need to perform your duties without getting into trouble.

Eclipse

There's two different sides here:

"Required Staff Training" (RST) - this is a nationally mandated and standardized curriculum that runs about 90 minutes and is focused on issues of hazing and cadet protection.
At least in theory this should be the "same" no matter where you attend.

Encampment staff training - this is not mandated or standardized, it'll be different at every activity, and depends solely on what the Encampment Commander thinks is important.
It can be anything from venue logistics to drill (including seniors), and anything in between.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Just a note, there is a difference between "Required Staff Training" or RST which is the training all senior and cadet staff must attend to be on staff. RST is designed to prevent hazing. "Staff training" for cadets or how to be on cadet staff depends on the activity, the senior staff's plan or desires, and the usual practices at that encampment. You beat me to it, Bob.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

arajca

To be a little more specific. PIPER, the COWG staff training is conducted the four days prior to encampment at the USAFA Prep School. RST is one activity, typically held Thursday evening. Most of the time, for support staff, is spent preparing the facilities (i.e. setting up sick bay, admin, logistics, PAO), team building exercises, and reviewing/testing the activities for the basics. As HS staff, you'll also spend time reviewing basic first aid, organizing medical forms, and setting up your field kits.

You should also be receiving more detailed information from your OIC and you can find a position description for the OIC on the COWG Encampment Cadet Staff webpage.

note: Field kits are NOT going the be these huge packs that out-weight some cadets as in previous years.