Florida Wing Summer Encampment info?

Started by Brickner, February 26, 2013, 08:53:33 PM

Brickner

Hey, was wondering if anyone knew when the Florida Summer Encampment is this year? I really want to be able to go to PJOC this year if possible but I've only been in the program for about a month (but I'm also a JROTC cadet so I'm fit enough for PJOC) but I have no idea when encampment is and I know you need to complete on to go. Also, if encampment is before PJOC, would I still be able to go to PJOC even considering I'd have to apply before I graduate encampment?
Cadet Seaman Apprentice, Platoon Commander, Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
Cadet Airman, Cadet Element Leader, Civil Air Patrol

MSG Mac

Speak to your Deputy Commander for Cadets and/or check the Florida Wing web page. You won't be going to PJOC this year, because FLWG has already submitted their nominees and the deadline for application was the end of January, I believe.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

As an FYI, the encampment requirement has to be completed in the year before you apply to an NCSA, not the year of the event, so your best bet is to
work on progression, go to an encampment this year, and then consider NCSAs for 2014. 

As mentioned, application deadline is 31 Dec of the year prior, probably about the only NCSA you could go to this year would be NESA.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2013, 09:06:27 PM
As an FYI, the encampment requirement has to be completed in the year before you apply to an NCSA, not the year of the event,
You may be out of if for this year, applications for NCSA's were due by 15-January at your unit level.

We've had cadets apply with an "Encampment completed by the activity", and everything has worked out. They usually do someone's Winter event.

You can go to anyone's encampment. Find one that suits your schedule if you've applied for PJOC and get accepted.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on February 26, 2013, 09:08:24 PMWe've had cadets apply with an "Encampment completed by the activity", and everything has worked out. They usually do someone's Winter event.

I thought this had been disallowed for about 4 years?

That used to be a big draw for our Spring Encampment - cadets wanting to do an NCSA in the summer who needed an encampment first.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Brickner on February 26, 2013, 08:53:33 PM
Hey, was wondering if anyone knew when the Florida Summer Encampment is this year?

Check here periodically.  This is the Florida Cadet website where they list information about encampment.

I asked on Sunday and they seem to be firming up the date so you should hear relatively soon.
Serving since 1987.

Offutteer

Cadets can still sign up for an NCSA, but they won't be selected in the initial slotting that takes place next month.  They will be an alternate, but could be picked up for the event when someone drops out.  Since cadets will have until 15 April to pay, if initially selected, slots will usually begin to open on the 16th of April.

The online application system does require the encampment credit to show in eServices before cadets are allowed to apply, but there is no minimum timeframe from encampement completion until the start of the event.  IF slots were available, the cadet could complete encampment on one day are arrive the next day at an NCSA.  It'd be a lot of work getting the information in eServices and approvals, but it could happen.

So, cadets could attend the IL spring encampment, and then apply for an NCSA once the credit shows in eServices.  After that, it's just wait (and hope) for the email or phone call from the Activity Director, and a lot of praying. 

Eclipse

OK - maybe it was the practical reality of there only being about a few encampments before the deadlines that I remember as the change, so for most
cadets applying to a popular activity, it had to be the year before.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Hot off the press!

Quote from: FLWG
ALCON:

We are pleased to announce the dates for the 2013 Florida Wing Summer Encampment are 28 July – 3 August at Camp Blanding. The encampment staff arrival date will be 26 July. Application information for staff and first time cadets will be published soon.

At this time, applications for Encampment Commander, Deputy Commander, Commandant of Cadets, and Cadet Commander are being accepted. To apply, please submit your CAP resume, Professional resume, and cover letter to jmcelvaney@flwg.us. Applications for encampment commander must be submitted no later than 3 April 2013. Applications for deputy commander, commandant of cadets, and cadet commander are due no later than 8 April 2013.

As a reminder, only applications for the positions listed above are being accepted at this time. The general call for staff applications and basic applications can be expected in early April. Thank you for your patience with this process.

For the most current encampment information, please visit the encampment website (http://www.flcadet.com/activities/summer-encampment.aspx). Please direct any questions regarding applications for these positions to Maj Justin McElvaney, jmcelvaney@flwg.us.

v/r

JUSTIN R. MCELVANEY, Major, CAP
Assistant Director of Cadet Programs

I won't be able to make it the full encampment, but I wonder if I could help out the first weekend and maybe one day during the week.  I'm shooting for a 2014 participation at either encampment or an NCSA.
Serving since 1987.