Being Out Of Uniform at a Squadron Meeting

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 28, 2013, 07:35:39 AM

Airman De Ruiter

So, if/when the situation presents itself that I can't change out of my NWU's or ABU's persay and I got to a squadron meeting, what happens? By that I mean what will usually happen, what's the worst that could happen, and should I just forgo the meeting?
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

lordmonar

One one level.....it's no big deal.

On another level......why can't you bring your CAP uniform and change at the meeting.

Finally......What should happen to you is controlled by your squadron leadership.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JK657

What would happen at AFJROTC or Sea cadets if you went to those meetings wearing your CAP uniform?

PA Guy

If you go to a CAP meeting wear a CAP uniform. Period.

Devil Doc

I think the smart choice would be. Either go to the CAP meeting in Uniform, or do not go at all. I have seen a few cadets go to a meeting not in uniform, but the DCC knew about it before hand. BTW, why are you in so many Organizations? Dosnt it get tiring keeping up with 6 sets of uniforms?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Майор Хаткевич

ABUs you wear at school
NWUs are for a weekend
BDUs are weekday/after schoool

I'm not seeing your dilemma.

Pylon

Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want.  If you came to my squadron in a different uniform because you "didn't have any time whatsoever" before the meeting to change, I'd direct you to the bathrooms to change immediately upon arrival. Problem solved.  Change before you get there.  If all else fails, change as soon as you've arrived there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

So you wear ABU's everday to school? Is the JROTC Uniform day, and the Sqaudron meeting on the same day? If so, leave your uniforms in your POV, change at meeting.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2013, 02:14:59 PM
Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want.  If you came to my squadron in a different uniform because you "didn't have any time whatsoever" before the meeting to change, I'd direct you to the bathrooms to change immediately upon arrival. Problem solved.  Change before you get there.  If all else fails, change as soon as you've arrived there.

I agree with Pylon.

I can only remember one time that I wore my uniform from my day job to a CAP meeting and that was on a day when I returned from a trip earlier than expected and was able to attend, but I didn't have a CAP uniform packed.

By the way, per se (not "persay") is a Latin term meaning "in or of itself or themselves." I am not certain you used it correctly in your initial post.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

+1

Also, those other organizations have rules about where and when you can their uniforms as well.

I can't think of a single reason why this would be acceptable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want. 

Ding ding ding.  This.

Looking for a reason to stand out or draw attention. 

I'd rather show up late to a meeting because I had to change into the appropriate uniform than to show up on time in the wrong uniform.  At the end of the day, it's about time management and prior planning, something ALL of your cadet/youth programs you're involved in should be teaching you, especially by this time in your cadet career.
Serving since 1987.

Airman De Ruiter

All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important than what I'm wearing.

Edited: for grammatical awesome

Cool Mace

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important that what I'm wearing.

That's kind of a loaded statement.

Although punctuality is very important. Your staff will understand that you need to be in the correct uniform.
I don't know how many meetings I've missed opening formation due to having to change once I got there. They would ask why I was late. But I was never in trouble for it.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Airman De Ruiter

That's what I was saying. In CAP, it's okay if I miss the first bit of a meeting to change, right?

Eclipse

All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important than what I'm wearing.

For someone who appears interested in a military career of some sort, you've got a long road ahead in regards to attitude.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
That's what I was saying. In CAP, it's okay if I miss the first bit of a meeting to change, right?

No, it's not.

What you need to do is plan your time better and be prepared accordingly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

OH boy, boot camp is going to be fun for you. They give you 5 minutes if your lucky to change, and it better be inspection ready when you do. Good Luck. Practice now while you can.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

What we're saying is that this should be a non-issue.  Plan and prepare accordingly and it will not be an issue.  From my perspective, as a senior member going to a CAP meeting from a job, I may not leave in time to make it home and change into my CAP uniform.  So, I will plan ahead and bring my CAP uniform with me and change at the meeting.

Now, for me, my paying job being the priority over CAP, I may not be in control of leaving work early enough to change and get to the meeting.  But, I will do my best.  There is always that one time that you have no control over your being on time or late.

All of us who have responded to your initial post have years of experience in CAP, the military, corporate world, and in life.  We are bosses and supervisors who deal with subordinates being tardy or failing to show up with the proper uniform and/or equipment.  I will tell you, as a "boss" in the private sector and in the military (national guard), 99% of the time there is no excuse and all could have been prevented through prior planning.
Serving since 1987.

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2013, 03:46:09 PM

No, it's not.

>Be me
>Wearing Ceremonial Honor Guard Blues
>Performing at 1730
>Squadron meeting at 18

See the dilemma?

Most times I can take care of it. Just trying to see what the right course of action is if I can't. I've been given presentations two hours before start time.

Stonewall

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 04:39:58 PM

>Be me
>Performing at 1730
>Squadron meeting at 18

See the dilemma?

Most times I can take care of it. Just trying to see what the right course of action is if I can't. I've been given presentations two hours before start time.

Then the solution is to prioritize and/or communicate.

If the event prior to your CAP meeting takes priority, then perhaps it's a good night to miss CAP.

If you can still make the CAP meeting in a reasonable time frame, i.e. without missing a majority of the meeting and/or interupting the meeting itself with your tardiness, then bring your CAP uniform and attend the meeting.  However, make it known to your cadet commander or DCC  that you'll be there, but you'll be late due to a prior obligation.

Either way, communicate your intentions/plans.

Problem solved.  Problem staying solved.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

So which is it now?  Blues or a field uniform? 
Strange how the variables change as your threads progress.

Quote from: Stonewall on January 28, 2013, 04:44:32 PMIf the event prior to your CAP meeting takes priority, then perhaps it's a good night to miss CAP.

This.

Life is choice.  You can't do everything.

As to the original question, ask the other organizations how they would feel if you left early to be at a CAP meeting, or if you could change and
stand in formation in a CAP uniform.

You knew the answer to this question before you asked.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Cermonial Blues? Every Week? Why?

Im sorry, i did 5 years of JROTC (Dont Ask) 2 years NAVY and 3 Years Army. You ONLY were ceremonial blue on weekends. Unless your meeting is on a weekend i dont see how this is an issue. I understand you very enthusiastic, but you knew when coming into CAP that "Times" were going to clash with each other. As stated before, you cannot do everything, So Prioritize, is AFJROTC event more important than a CAP event? Is a Sea Cadet Event more important than a CAP Event? Vice Versa. I suggest taking a Time Managment Course. Just wait till you get a job, you will not have time for hardly any of that stuff. Go to work not in Uniform I dare ya, you will not have a job anymore.  You starting to remind me of RadioMan, a member that got banned on this Forum.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Bobble

At this point, I'm wondering why the OP has to ask this question on this Board, especially at the C/Captain level of R2A2.  Surely there are Senior Members in positions of command (CC, DCC, etc., ...) at the OP's squadron who could easily provide a solution to his dilemma in 15 words or less, and probably should have done so a long time ago.  Granted, it's fun and all picking apart the query presented here, but ultimately, doesn't the decision (punctuality vs. being in the correct uniform) rest with the Squadron Commander?

Or perhaps the point is simply to impress us all with such a HSLD schedule of activities.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Cool Mace

Quote from: Bobble on January 28, 2013, 05:53:19 PM
At this point, I'm wondering why the OP has to ask this question on this Board, especially at the C/Captain level of R2A2.

He's not a C/Capt. That's just his sig. line.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Texas Raiders

I sure do hope the young cadet airman has received the message and understood it.  This is not the first time that he has been given the same answer multiple times.   ;)

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2013, 04:54:49 PM
So which is it now?  Blues or a field uniform? 
Strange how the variables change as your threads progress.

I was thinking the very same thought.   

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 28, 2013, 03:50:29 PM
OH boy, boot camp is going to be fun for you. They give you 5 minutes if your lucky to change, and it better be inspection ready when you do. Good Luck. Practice now while you can.

+1.

I still remember the mad morning stampede to get your three S's done...and it was absolutely no fun if the MTI's had to offer "encouragement."

Cadet, as I see it, you have several problems.

You are overextended, belonging to too many things.  You are young.  Don't waste your youth trying to do it all, see it all, be it all at once.  When you get older you'll wonder "where did it all go?"  BTDT, as have many on CT.  I could belong to both CAP and CGAUX (as some here do, and make it work for them), but I simply wouldn't be able to do both without overextending myself.

You need to learn time management skills.  Some of that can be taught, but other things you just have to learn through trial and error.  If you go into the military, you'll learn that on your first day at BMT.  I think one of the first orders from the MTI was "Get a bunk and wall locker...do it NOW!"

Punctuality is important in CAP, but there are times when "stuff happens" and you can't be there on the mark.  It is then your responsibility to inform through your chain that you will be late (or absent).  I'm a Captain with almost 20 years in CAP and if I'm going to be late/not there, I still shoot my superiors an e-mail/text/phone call.  They don't make me do it; it's a courtesy.

WRT uniforms...I worked a job with a long commute where I did not have time to go back home, change into my uniform and drive back the way I came to my CAP meeting site.  I used to take my uniform, change in the washroom once I was off the clock and head on to the meeting.  Minimal stress that way.  Once I forgot my flight cap, and I notified my CC as soon as I got there and accompanied the statement with "no excuses, Sir."  There was no problem, and I didn't do it again.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

This kid (?) is one of the best trolls I have seen in a long time. What cadet is up at 3 something am and posting about being in the wrong uniform? His posts turn into multiple page discussions with the same conclusion every time... Troll, and a good one at that.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

abdsp51

The OP is not currently a member of a unit and is going through the process of joining.  This is per reliable sources in NV Wg.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 28, 2013, 08:51:50 PM
The OP is not currently a member of a unit and is going through the process of joining.  This is per reliable sources in NV Wg.

Well, that certainly paints a corner of the picture.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Troll indeed.  The OP has his answer 10 times over.  We're just fueling our own heartburn now.

a2capt

Gee.. imagine that. All that "dying a little inside", fake? Maybe whoever the unit is, should see these threads.. ;-)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2013, 03:46:09 PM

No, it's not.

>Be me
>Performing at 1730
>Squadron meeting at 18

See the dilemma?

Be a man!  A) Tell your squadron commander of the situation.   You are NOT tardy if you have prio cooridination.  B)  Plan to have the proper uniform available to change into.

No dilemma.   PPPPP...Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

"Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct."

I wondered when someone was going to do something with that .. ;)

Treadhead

If you can't make the meeting on time due to a conflict, let your commander know this ahead of time.  If its a one time deal, chances are the CO will understand.

If this is going to occur frequently, then rearrange your time frames.  It might mean putting one organization on the back burner and returning to in at a later time when the schedule allows.

The worst thing you can do is keep showing up late.  Commanders do not like this.  Excuses only make matters worse.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Bobble

Thanks for the info, that plus the admin. edit of the OP's signature line explains a lot.  Best of luck to the OP and the OP's future Commander(s), it looks as if it could be quite an interesting experience for all involved.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

JayT

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 07:35:39 AM
So, if/when the situation presents itself that I can't change out of my NWU's or ABU's persay and I got to a squadron meeting, what happens? By that I mean what will usually happen, what's the worst that could happen, and should I just forgo the meeting?

You just want to show off that you're in different organizations.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Abby.L

Quote from: Bobble on January 29, 2013, 02:59:27 AM

Thanks for the info, that plus the admin. edit of the OP's signature line explains a lot.  Best of luck to the OP and the OP's future Commander(s), it looks as if it could be quite an interesting experience for all involved.

So okay, why would he even be in the honor guard uniform if he's not a member? I'm seriously going with the abovementioned "Trolling" as an explanation. This is the internet after all.

Quote from: JayT on January 29, 2013, 03:29:34 AM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 07:35:39 AM

You just want to show off that you're in different organizations.

Though I normally wouldn't be so point-blank about this, that was actually my first thought when I saw this thread pop up. It took all my willpower to not call him out on it.

Now, to the OP: It is blatantly clear that you aren't exactly the best at taking advice. Every person(Myself excluded) who has answered to this thread is a veteran of CAP, the military, or both; Their advice is probably tried and true, if not logical at the least. So far, you've managed to provoke I don't know how many flaming sessions on here, and you've only been registered for a week or so? As was mentioned in several other of your threads,  You really need to work on the attitude. There is a logical point where you just have to think, "Hey, I have a CoC for a reason, why not use it?" This is probably one of these times. We can sit here lighting farts on fire, but none of them will apply to you in person. This is just a forum. If your commander is okay with the occasional appearance in NWUs or ABUs, then that's on him. If not, then you'll have to adjust by doing one of the many things that has been suggested on this thread. All I know is that this attitude of, "Well, I know I'm right. Now, let's see what happens when my thoughts are contrary to those more experienced," will certainly not get you very far in CAP, the Sea Cadets, JROTC, or life in general. You need to learn to follow before you can lead. I've been in 3 years, and sure, I'm leading, but I'm still following. That will happen anywhere in life. You can't just go into a new job thinking you got it down, when 5 minutes later, you burned yourself in the fryer grease.

As a last note, I'd certainly suggest toning it down in regards to the groups you're in. Yes, we get it. You're in Sea Cadets and AFJROTC, so you have all the advanced uniforms. I've only ever heard the USCG Auxies on here mention anything USCGAux related maybe 2-3 times, and with a much more respectable tone.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 28, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
Cermonial Blues? Every Week? Why?

Im sorry, i did 5 years of JROTC (Dont Ask) 2 years NAVY and 3 Years Army. You ONLY were ceremonial blue on weekends. Unless your meeting is on a weekend i dont see how this is an issue. I understand you very enthusiastic, but you knew when coming into CAP that "Times" were going to clash with each other. As stated before, you cannot do everything, So Prioritize, is AFJROTC event more important than a CAP event? Is a Sea Cadet Event more important than a CAP Event? Vice Versa. I suggest taking a Time Managment Course. Just wait till you get a job, you will not have time for hardly any of that stuff. Go to work not in Uniform I dare ya, you will not have a job anymore.  You starting to remind me of RadioMan, a member that got banned on this Forum.

I didn't even know the Army and Navy had Ceremonial Blues. Anyway, I don't know what you're talking about with the "only on weekends" thing, we wear it whenever were presenting.

As for everybody else, I'm not ignoring your advice. I've said thanks for the advice about three times in this thread. Just because you repost the same answer 10 times doesn't mean it takes me ten times to understand. I got it the first time it was said. Manage time better, if I can't show up slightly late and in uniform, and stop overextending myself.

And for some reason I didn't think anybody would think that my last name is "Obvious" and that I was impersonating a C/Capt even after statig I was new to CAP.

By the way, I find it a little unnecessary to seek, find, and publish my personal information.

Майор Хаткевич

It's not hard, I'm assuming your name is your user ID...

As to the joke sig?

What's wrong with C/AB Obvious?

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 29, 2013, 05:09:26 AM
It's not hard, I'm assuming your name is your user ID...

As to the joke sig?

What's wrong with C/AB Obvious?

I was alluding to the saying "Captain Obvious".
Airman Basic Obvious isn't even an attempt at humor.

Майор Хаткевич

Sure it is. I'm an Earhart cadet. When I made the C/Capt Obvious joke, it made sense.

When it's used in conjunction with a military grade, it makes sense. You don't need to direct people to the C/Capt grade (insinuating Earhart Award) to get to the joke.

abdsp51

And what personal information was that?  I do not see your name, phone number, or even your address posted anywhere here.  You were  reported to the respective commanders of units there and they figured it out.   And that was after multiple members here told you to reevaluate your approach and attitude with members here.  Did you think you were going to be able to act one way here and there not be any repercussions?

spaatzmom

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 29, 2013, 05:04:44 AM

By the way, I find it a little unnecessary to seek, find, and publish my personal information.
[/quote]

Oh Grasshopper, you have much to learn.  Think of this forum as being at a large family reunion.  Lots of extended family attending with more life experience and wisdom than you can ever possess at your tender age.  Guess what family members talk and look out for each other.  Well CAP has a very well established grapevine, and just like the reunion, members talk and look out for each other.  Simple deduction from previous posts usually reveal much more than the poster thinks and possibly intends.  Don't get put off by replies from others that point out certain flaws that they see.  Try to remember that responses can be posted before another poster sees the others.  If several people point out the same thing and the only common denominator is you then you have the problem not them,

I wish you luck in your future whether it be in or out of CAP.  It will be what you make of it not someone else.

Airman De Ruiter

I understand that sometime people post before others see, but flaming me for being told ten times when I got it the first time is a little counterproductive.

spaatzmom

And just how are we to know that you "got" it the first time when you repeat the same type of questions in multiple threads?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 29, 2013, 05:47:37 AM
I understand that sometime people post before others see, but flaming me for being told ten times when I got it the first time is a little counterproductive.

You come on a forum, and ask a basic question. There are thousands of members. If ten answer correctly, it's the same answer ten times. That's how forums work...

a2capt

* a2capt wonders if this was "out of uniform" ;)
We were checking out a location for a few future events .. and they were having a 3-Gun like competition. Shoot each kind at a different station, and combine the scores. They asked if we wanted to try .. :) Of course!

Bobble

[By the way, I find it a little unnecessary to seek, find, and publish my personal information.

I guess it could be a while before the OP will be able to join CAP.  Good luck with that.

As for the picture above, c'mon, you're pullin' our collective legs.  We all know by now that "Brown leather belongs to the USAF, CAP is OK with black leather".

At least for outerwear.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

NCRblues

I would like to know what parent is allowing their child to be up at 1 and some change in the morning posting on here.

This is one of the best trolls I have seen in a very long time.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Hawk200

Quote from: NCRblues on January 29, 2013, 03:22:17 PM
I would like to know what parent is allowing their child to be up at 1 and some change in the morning posting on here.

This is one of the best trolls I have seen in a very long time.
Interesting posting stats. Most posts between 1 and 3 AM, or between 2 and 5 PM. The day time periods last I knew were usually school related hours, and if this is a cadet that is active in a couple other programs he'd wouldn't have time. Looks a little funny.

If it's a younger cadet, time management is indeed an issue.

Texas Raiders

Of course.  Most online forums allow their users to maintain varied levels anonymity, which can relieve the user of accountability among other things.  Understand that every post you make is subject to scrutiny and can sometimes result in real consequences.  You need to be prepared for that.

It is my opinion (not everyone will agree) that even the simple act of signing your name can at the very least keep you honest, make you think before you post, and demonstrate accountability.  I stand behind my posts and accept responsibilty for the content when I'm wrong. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Bobble

Quote from: Bobble on January 29, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
[By the way, I find it a little unnecessary to seek, find, and publish my personal information.

I guess it could be a while before the OP will be able to join CAP.  Good luck with that.

"I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred and fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?"

I think I know who the OP is.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Bobble on January 29, 2013, 04:03:29 PM
Quote from: Bobble on January 29, 2013, 02:00:45 PM

"I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred and fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?"

I think I know who the OP is.

Jason Bourne is the OP?  That's kinda cool.    ;)
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

Pylon

I think we're more than done here.  Like I said 10+ posts ago, we're just contributing to our own heartburn at this point.  No need to dogpile on the troll.