Being Out Of Uniform at a Squadron Meeting

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 28, 2013, 07:35:39 AM

Airman De Ruiter

So, if/when the situation presents itself that I can't change out of my NWU's or ABU's persay and I got to a squadron meeting, what happens? By that I mean what will usually happen, what's the worst that could happen, and should I just forgo the meeting?
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

lordmonar

One one level.....it's no big deal.

On another level......why can't you bring your CAP uniform and change at the meeting.

Finally......What should happen to you is controlled by your squadron leadership.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JK657

What would happen at AFJROTC or Sea cadets if you went to those meetings wearing your CAP uniform?

PA Guy

If you go to a CAP meeting wear a CAP uniform. Period.

Devil Doc

I think the smart choice would be. Either go to the CAP meeting in Uniform, or do not go at all. I have seen a few cadets go to a meeting not in uniform, but the DCC knew about it before hand. BTW, why are you in so many Organizations? Dosnt it get tiring keeping up with 6 sets of uniforms?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Майор Хаткевич

ABUs you wear at school
NWUs are for a weekend
BDUs are weekday/after schoool

I'm not seeing your dilemma.

Pylon

Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want.  If you came to my squadron in a different uniform because you "didn't have any time whatsoever" before the meeting to change, I'd direct you to the bathrooms to change immediately upon arrival. Problem solved.  Change before you get there.  If all else fails, change as soon as you've arrived there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

So you wear ABU's everday to school? Is the JROTC Uniform day, and the Sqaudron meeting on the same day? If so, leave your uniforms in your POV, change at meeting.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2013, 02:14:59 PM
Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want.  If you came to my squadron in a different uniform because you "didn't have any time whatsoever" before the meeting to change, I'd direct you to the bathrooms to change immediately upon arrival. Problem solved.  Change before you get there.  If all else fails, change as soon as you've arrived there.

I agree with Pylon.

I can only remember one time that I wore my uniform from my day job to a CAP meeting and that was on a day when I returned from a trip earlier than expected and was able to attend, but I didn't have a CAP uniform packed.

By the way, per se (not "persay") is a Latin term meaning "in or of itself or themselves." I am not certain you used it correctly in your initial post.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

+1

Also, those other organizations have rules about where and when you can their uniforms as well.

I can't think of a single reason why this would be acceptable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Stop trying to find excuses to wear what uniform you want. 

Ding ding ding.  This.

Looking for a reason to stand out or draw attention. 

I'd rather show up late to a meeting because I had to change into the appropriate uniform than to show up on time in the wrong uniform.  At the end of the day, it's about time management and prior planning, something ALL of your cadet/youth programs you're involved in should be teaching you, especially by this time in your cadet career.
Serving since 1987.

Airman De Ruiter

All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important than what I'm wearing.

Edited: for grammatical awesome

Cool Mace

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important that what I'm wearing.

That's kind of a loaded statement.

Although punctuality is very important. Your staff will understand that you need to be in the correct uniform.
I don't know how many meetings I've missed opening formation due to having to change once I got there. They would ask why I was late. But I was never in trouble for it.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Airman De Ruiter

That's what I was saying. In CAP, it's okay if I miss the first bit of a meeting to change, right?

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
All right, thanks for the advice, guys. By the way, not trying to find excuses or anything, I was wondering if in CAP, punctuality is more important than what I'm wearing.

Edited: for grammatical awesome

For someone who appears interested in a military career of some sort, you've got a long road ahead in regards to attitude.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 28, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
That's what I was saying. In CAP, it's okay if I miss the first bit of a meeting to change, right?

No, it's not.

What you need to do is plan your time better and be prepared accordingly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

OH boy, boot camp is going to be fun for you. They give you 5 minutes if your lucky to change, and it better be inspection ready when you do. Good Luck. Practice now while you can.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

What we're saying is that this should be a non-issue.  Plan and prepare accordingly and it will not be an issue.  From my perspective, as a senior member going to a CAP meeting from a job, I may not leave in time to make it home and change into my CAP uniform.  So, I will plan ahead and bring my CAP uniform with me and change at the meeting.

Now, for me, my paying job being the priority over CAP, I may not be in control of leaving work early enough to change and get to the meeting.  But, I will do my best.  There is always that one time that you have no control over your being on time or late.

All of us who have responded to your initial post have years of experience in CAP, the military, corporate world, and in life.  We are bosses and supervisors who deal with subordinates being tardy or failing to show up with the proper uniform and/or equipment.  I will tell you, as a "boss" in the private sector and in the military (national guard), 99% of the time there is no excuse and all could have been prevented through prior planning.
Serving since 1987.

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2013, 03:46:09 PM

No, it's not.

What you need to do is plan your time better and be prepared accordingly.

>Be me
>Wearing Ceremonial Honor Guard Blues
>Performing at 1730
>Squadron meeting at 18

See the dilemma?

Most times I can take care of it. Just trying to see what the right course of action is if I can't. I've been given presentations two hours before start time.