Main Menu

PJOC

Started by cylercj554, January 12, 2013, 01:51:31 AM

cylercj554

I am planning on going to PJOC in two years. How should I prepare and do graduates actually get maroon berets?

arajca

Review the PT test and prepare now.

The maroon beret is not awarded (that's for the AF Pararescuemen) and the only beret color authorized with the CAP uniform is blue.

Майор Хаткевич

And I would reevaluate your priorities for PJOC

PHall

The only things you get if you complete PJOC is a NCSA ribbon and the pride of knowing that you completed the course.
Plus you're eligible to apply to APJOC!

68w20

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 12, 2013, 02:16:59 AM

Just because the OP asked about a hat doesn't mean that it was their only/primary reason for going.  Give him/her the benefit of a doubt.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: 68w10 on January 12, 2013, 02:21:27 AM

Just because the OP asked about a hat doesn't mean that it was their only/primary reason for going.  Give him/her the benefit of a doubt.

OP stated that s/he wants to attend in TWO years.
OP asked about how to prepare (could go either way, I read as not even looked into what the course is about).
OP then, in the same sentence asked about a piece of felt that isn't even the point of the event.

I'm pretty sure I can give her/him any doubt I want, but from a one liner post like that it's pretty clear.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 12, 2013, 06:53:12 AM

OP asked about how to prepare (could go either way, I read as not even looked into what the course is about).
OP then, in the same sentence asked about a piece of felt that isn't even the point of the event.

I'm pretty sure I can give her/him any doubt I want, but from a one liner post like that it's pretty clear.
OP could've asked what the food was, instead. Does that mean he is going for the food??

You sir, are being ridiculous. He was asking a question. Don't jump on him for that. All it does is discourage him from asking questions and learning.

That said, saying something like "if your primary motivation for attending is X, maybe you should reevaluate"
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

arajca

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 12, 2013, 06:53:12 AM

Not really "pretty clear". "Pretty clear" is "and can I wear the maroon beret after graduating?" The OP's question, to me, is more looking for confirmation of a rumor or tall tale.

coudano

Don't they still give out that baseball cap that you wear all week, as well as the pin, and a patch?
Obviously of those 3 only the patch would be eligible for wear on the BDU's (iaw 39-1, which I have not reviewed for ncsa patches lately...  i'm not really sure if they still give it or if it is still authorized)

You will probably also come home with a dirty t-shirt or two...

I don't really have a problem with a cadet who is interested in what kind of swag they will get out of an activity.  There are much worse reasons to do things, and better reasons to do nothing.

I would frown a little at a cadet who would, upon finding out that they DONT get the funny hat, choose NOT to go.

Let people go for the hat, and get their pleasant surprise :)

In other words...    GO!!!

LGM30GMCC

To answer the question how to prepare there are a couple things you can do.

Number 1 is continue to advance in the cadet program excelling at the core curriculum. The slotting process is weighted toward those who have done the core stuff. If you're an A1C or SSgt with a couple years in, you are not going to have the same shot at going as a 2d Lt; regardless of how much better shape you may be in than that 2d lt.

Additionally, wings can 'green light' someone and that puts you into a much smaller group of cadets and have a better crack at getting your top pick and getting to go to an NCSA at all. To get one of these 'green lights' probably varies wing to wing (it's 10% of the total number of cadets and SMs applying from that wing) but a large part of it is going to be activity above the squadron level. Make sure you are participating and doing your absolute best at (group) wing activities. Also make sure you aren't a pain in the butt, or display an attitude or behavior that would make people question whether you deserve to go to a special activity. I don't just mean in front of the Wing DCP or things like that, there are quite a few networks of people out there and your name/reputation can spread a lot father than you may realize.

As to how to physically prepare for it, I'll leave that to the people who have attended and can give you exercise suggestions and whatnot.

cylercj554

Thanks to all who have helped. I was not just going for the hat or the "swag". I want to be a PJ when I enlist, that is why I want to go. I also plan on attending APJOC afterwards. if anyone has any info on how to prep physically, please let me know.

RogueLeader

Google the PAST test.  It is the requirements for AF Special Operations.  I'm not sure if PJOC has that as part of the curriculum, but Combat Control Orientation Course does.  If you pass the PAST test there, and enlist within 3 months, IIRC, it counts.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

GroundHawg

PJOC kicked my butt. I was a 4 sport athlete in high school, and had been to HMRS twice, so I thought it wouldnt be much more than that.

WRONG. PJOC wore me out, I was not ready physically for it and paid for it the entire course. I still believe that PJOC was harder than Army basic. If you want to be a PJ, you had better start swimming now....

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 19, 2013, 02:51:08 AM
PJOC kicked my butt. I was a 4 sport athlete in high school, and had been to HMRS twice, so I thought it wouldnt be much more than that.

WRONG. PJOC wore me out, I was not ready physically for it and paid for it the entire course. I still believe that PJOC was harder than Army basic. If you want to be a PJ, you had better start swimming now....

7000 feet will do that to you if you're not acimated to it!

A.Member

Quote from: cylercj554 on January 16, 2013, 11:17:27 PM
Thanks to all who have helped. I was not just going for the hat or the "swag". I want to be a PJ when I enlist, that is why I want to go. I also plan on attending APJOC afterwards. if anyone has any info on how to prep physically, please let me know.
You will not find a lot of detail about what takes place a PJOC and that is by design.   

I'll simply say that you will be mentally and physically taxed.   Review the PJOC PT requirements.   Do not just meet them.   Be able to comfortably exceed them.   Don't cut corners and, if you come from sea-level/near sea-level, don't underestimate the altitude.  It is no lie that cadets are sent home every year because they cannot meet requirements -- even upon arrival.

PJOC is very challenging yet incredibly rewarding.  I guarantee you will learn a lot about yourself.

But, as was pointed out earlier, before you worry about these details, you need to put yourself in a position to even be selected for the course.  It is a competitive process.  If it's what you want, start positioning yourself today. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2013, 04:35:35 AM
Quote from: GroundHawg on January 19, 2013, 02:51:08 AM

7000 feet will do that to you if you're not acimated to it!
So, will 10,600.  ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

GroundHawg

I attended basic PJOC at Ft.Knox Kentucky, about 100 miles from my house. I would like to blame altitude, but I think I was just a wussy.

Perez

Best of luck to you! If you "plan" on going in two years, make sure you translate those plans into actions. Two years is a lot of prep time, but if you're serious, then follow the advice of others here and start setting yourself up for success now. Promote, learn, and find a rigorous exercise routine that you can stick to. Know this, being in excellent physical condition will only help you, but it's what's in your mind that matters.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

PHall

Quote from: Perez on February 20, 2013, 07:52:02 PM
Best of luck to you! If you "plan" on going in two years, make sure you translate those plans into actions. Two years is a lot of prep time, but if you're serious, then follow the advice of others here and start setting yourself up for success now. Promote, learn, and find a rigorous exercise routine that you can stick to. Know this, being in excellent physical condition will only help you, but it's what's in your mind that matters.

Start doing flutter kicks now. ::)