Main Menu

Disney's Planes

Started by Eclipse, December 27, 2012, 06:31:46 AM

Critical AOA

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 22, 2013, 02:18:59 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 22, 2013, 02:14:22 PM
How does a 12 year old C/AB get in to a sports bar in the first place?

Probably a place like Buffalo Wild Wings. Totally appropriate to go in uniform.  ::)

Now if it as the Tilted Kilt, you might have a point. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 22, 2013, 02:28:13 PM
This is so ridiculously funny.  Kids going to watch a cartoon and following it up with a trip to a sports bar all the while dressed in CAP uniforms and thinking they look awesome.  And to boot he states that they will be taking up a pretty good portion of the theatre.  It must be a very small theatre or a gigantic squadron.  Either way, it is a vivid imagination.   

Many people would encourage this because of their "spirit".  Knocking off this kind of behavior is one of CAP's better lessons.

Sadly, there are experienced senior members in my earshot who still do this kind of thing on a regular basis.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

You just don't go up to the actual bar and order drinks, it is open to everybody but there is the part that is the bar and I can go in there as long as I don't order drinks. Everybody says it is a sports bar but it is a sports bar and grill. The actual bar is in a different room where I can go as long as I don't order drinks. Or to make it short, Alan Rainey of Texas powers. The Alan Rainey of Texas thing is a joke that originated when my parents were visiting family in LA, and my dad made reservations at a famous and very popular Mexican restaurant that didn't accept reservations. If you want the full story PM me asking me for the story.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 22, 2013, 02:18:59 PM

Probably a place like Buffalo Wild Wings. Totally appropriate to go in uniform.  ::)
No, the Buffalo Wild Wings is in the mall, we don't go to the mall. Plus lots of airmen from the local AFB like to go there on Friday nights. There is a sports bar (and grill) that is locally owned called Parkway.

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 22, 2013, 04:21:54 PM
You just don't go up to the actual bar and order drinks, it is open to everybody but there is the part that is the bar and I can go in there as long as I don't order drinks. Everybody says it is a sports bar but it is a sports bar and grill. The actual bar is in a different room where I can go as long as I don't order drinks. Or to make it short, Alan Rainey of Texas powers. The Alan Rainey of Texas thing is a joke that originated when my parents were visiting family in LA, and my dad made reservations at a famous and very popular Mexican restaurant that didn't accept reservations. If you want the full story PM me asking me for the story.

No one likes a poser son.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2013, 04:31:05 PM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 22, 2013, 04:21:54 PM

No one likes a poser son.
What do you mean by poser, may I ask?

Eclipse

Someone who plays a part or a role they don't actually inhabit.

Wearing your uniform "just because", the notion that you travel so much on "official business" that you need to carry your uniform
to visit other squadrons, or this nonsense about you and your CAP buds "hitting a sports bar in uniform after o-rides", when in fact you're
going to a local restaurant (which you probably shouldn't be doing in uniform, either).

Grow up and into some stripes before you start trying to play a part you have no knowledge or understanding of.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2013, 06:58:39 PM
Someone who plays a part or a role they don't actually inhabit.

Wearing your uniform "just because", the notion that you travel so much on "official business" that you need to carry your uniform
to visit other squadrons, or this nonsense about you and your CAP buds "hitting a sports bar in uniform after o-rides", when in fact you're
going to a local restaurant (which you probably shouldn't be doing in uniform, either).

Grow up and into some stripes before you start trying to play a part you have no knowledge or understanding of.
Going to a resteraunt thatbis a sports bar and grill (our local version of Hooters). If I was traveling for an extended period of time and was going to visit another squadron, it should make some sense that I would have a uniform with me. And my friend who is also my flight sergeant suggested going to the sports bar and grill in uniform, while my idea was just to go but not in uniform.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2013, 04:11:31 PM
This is so ridiculously funny.  Kids going to watch a cartoon and following it up with a trip to a sports bar all the while dressed in CAP uniforms and thinking they look awesome.  And to boot he states that they will be taking up a pretty good portion of the theatre.  It must be a very small theatre or a gigantic squadron.  Either way, it is a vivid imagination.   

Many people would encourage this because of their "spirit".  Knocking off this kind of behavior is one of CAP's better lessons.

Sadly, there are experienced senior members in my earshot who still do this kind of thing on a regular basis.

As you probably know already from my posts on uniform discussions, I wear the golf shirt as my uniform of choice.  This is as far from a military look as I can get and still wear a CAP uniform.  Yet, even though this particular CAP uniform is so unrecognizable by 99%+ of the population, I normally carry another shirt in my car and will change to it if I go anywhere "questionable" after a meeting or flying.  The fact this is not the norm is wrong.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 22, 2013, 07:14:10 PMGoing to a resteraunt thatbis a sports bar and grill (our local version of Hooters).
Yes, but that's not how you characterized it, was it?  Hmm?   You used specific terminology to elicit a response.
Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 22, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
And my friend who is also my flight sergeant suggested going to the sports bar and grill in uniform, while my idea was just to go but not in uniform.
Follow your idea and let the flight sergeant know he is on thin ice doing that.  There's no reason you can't change, enjoy the same camaraderie, but
not risk the image of the organization.  The other question that should be asked is where the adults are.

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 22, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
If I was traveling for an extended period of time and was going to visit another squadron, it should make some sense that I would have a uniform with me.
I can't think of a single reason why, as a new cadet, you would think it appropriate or necessary to be visiting units while traveling, especially on a random basis that
you would need to have your uniform "on hand / in case". For starters - you need your unit commanders permission, and the permission of the unit you are visiting.

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

I get the feeling his next squadron meeting is going to have a lot to do with core values and ethics   :angel:

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

JeffDG

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 22, 2013, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2013, 04:11:31 PM

As you probably know already from my posts on uniform discussions, I wear the golf shirt as my uniform of choice.  This is as far from a military look as I can get and still wear a CAP uniform.  Yet, even though this particular CAP uniform is so unrecognizable by 99%+ of the population, I normally carry another shirt in my car and will change to it if I go anywhere "questionable" after a meeting or flying.  The fact this is not the norm is wrong.
You know what I love about the white aviator?  Take off my nametag, wings and epaulets, and I'm instantly civilianized!

Critical AOA

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 28, 2013, 12:31:51 PM
I get the feeling his next squadron meeting is going to have a lot to do with core values and ethics   :angel:

I've got a feeling those have been missing from his life for some time.

Critical AOA

Quote from: JeffDG on June 28, 2013, 01:17:29 PMYou know what I love about the white aviator?  Take off my nametag, wings and epaulets, and I'm instantly civilianized!

That is an equally efficient way to do it.... unless your wild wings hot sauce drips on your nice white shirt.   ;D

Private Investigator

That is so funny  :clap:

Mslayton_24

I personally loved cars and cars 2. Heck I even named one of my dogs after Tow Mater :) I just hope Planes is just as good. Hopefully better.
Also, How did this topic turn into an argument over the rights and wrongs of going to a sports bar in your uniform? I do understand some of the concerns about it but why not leave it alone? Obviously he or she isn't really taking what you all are saying seriously because if they were they wouldn't keep defending themselves or placing the blame on another.  I mean No offense by that at all.
On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.
       ~Dan Lipinski

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

miss.aviator.girl

I'm looking forward to this movie. I'll be seeing it at AirVenture. Anybody going to AirVenture?

Critical AOA

I'm planning on going to Oshkosh but will probably wait to see the movie at the local theatre.  Too many other things to do at OSH.

ol'fido

The song "Nothing Can Stop Me Now" is sung by Mark Holman. He lives here in Benton, IL next door to my stepdaughter and son-in-law. They're pretty good friends. "It's a Small World After All........."
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006