Main Menu

Squadron commander job.

Started by okeecap, November 18, 2012, 03:32:47 AM

okeecap

If the commander of your squadron quits, who would you contact to try to get the job.

Pylon

The commander of the next higher echelon (Group, or Wing) generally chooses the commander.  If the outgoing commander is leaving on good terms, his or her recommendations are often taken into account.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

Methinks there is potentially a power play going on here....

MSG Mac

When your Commander quit he would normally make a recommendation to the next higher command as to who should follow him. If he just walked away from the unit (I've seen it happen), notify the next higher command know as soon as possible.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Actually, with the question being asked by a Deputy Commander already, there is something odd about it :)

Shotgun

As mentioned above, the next higher command reviews the qualifications and merits of all the members who are interested and makes the appointment.

Depending on the Squadron there may either be fierce competition for the position or some serious arm twisting to get someone to "volunteer".

Most of the time the new CC was already groomed and ready to step in. In the few cases where there were more than one person going for the job the recommendation of the outgoing CC held a lot of weight in the decision.

I would love to be in a unit where several members had the ambition for the CC position. I know they exist, but for the units I've been involved with it there wasn't much competition.

bosshawk

How about the skid marks caused by heels up to the CC chair?  In my 18 years in CAP, I saw far more of those than anxious members waiting in line for the job.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Grumpy

Quote from: bosshawk on November 18, 2012, 06:28:08 PM
How about the skid marks caused by heels up to the CC chair?  In my 18 years in CAP, I saw far more of those than anxious members waiting in line for the job.

I've been a squadron commander four times.  The only skid marks caused by my heels were from planting my feet out in front of me trying to stop from being put in that chair.  Every time I've been in the spot I learned more and more about the politics and lack of support for the squadron commander by wing.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Grumpy on November 18, 2012, 07:57:23 PM

I've been a squadron commander four times.  The only skid marks caused by my heels were from planting my feet out in front of me trying to stop from being put in that chair.  Every time I've been in the spot I learned more and more about the politics and lack of support for the squadron commander by wing.

That is 50/50. How about those Squadron Commanders who do not support the Wing or the Wing Commander? It is a two way street.

JeffDG

This makes me think of the old tradition in Parliament...at least the Canadian one with the election of a Speaker in the House of Commons.

Historically, the Speaker had to report the actions of Parliament to the King.  Often, that meant reporting bad news to Sovreigns who really, really didn't like to hear "No". That lead to people assuming the role of Speaker rather reluctantly.

The tradition now at the opening of a new Parliament is for the Prime Minister and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to basically drag the newly elected Speaker to the chair.

Grumpy

Quote from: JeffDG on November 18, 2012, 08:48:08 PM

This makes me think of the old tradition in Parliament...at least the Canadian one with the election of a Speaker in the House of Commons.

Historically, the Speaker had to report the actions of Parliament to the King.  Often, that meant reporting bad news to Sovreigns who really, really didn't like to hear "No". That lead to people assuming the role of Speaker rather reluctantly.

The tradition now at the opening of a new Parliament is for the Prime Minister and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to basically drag the newly elected Speaker to the chair.

I love it.

Grumpy

I can only speak from my own experience and I'm not going to get into that here.

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on November 18, 2012, 09:08:49 PM

I can only speak from my own experience and I'm not going to get into that here.

Good move!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret