Shuttle Endeavour in Los Angeles - On The Move

Started by a2capt, October 14, 2012, 10:21:08 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on October 16, 2012, 03:07:38 PM
Personally, I would have loved it if, instead of all the SCA flybys, if they had put a crew back in and let it loose to land by itself one last time, like they did with Enterprise back in the 70s.

The Enterprise had all of its systems installed and powered up. The Endeavour was essentially gutted. No avionics, no power, no hydraulics, no control systems. Totally non-flyable. Smithsonian Air & Space had an excellent article about what they did to make them museum ready.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on October 16, 2012, 08:31:27 PM
Personally, I would have loved it if, instead of all the SCA flybys, if they had put a crew back in and let it loose to land by itself one last time, like they did with Enterprise back in the 70s.

The Enterprise had all of its systems installed and powered up. The Endeavour was essentially gutted. No avionics, no power, no hydraulics, no control systems. Totally non-flyable. Smithsonian Air & Space had an excellent article about what they did to make them museum ready.
Oh, I know it wasn't feasible...just would have been really cool!

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on October 16, 2012, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 16, 2012, 08:31:27 PM

Oh, I know it wasn't feasible...just would have been really cool!

That was part of the flight test program. The Enterprise is just as stripped at Endeavour is. Matter of fact, some of Enterprise's parts ended up in Endeavour.

Luis R. Ramos

Initially, I thought all those photos were... tiresome.  ::)

However, I have been reading, and looking at all the photos, and I can only say, BRAVO!!!

:clap:

The OP has kept us of an event related to AE and managed to make it funny. The photo of the shuttle front section on the background, with the two guys shooting baskets could be used for a funny "post a caption" contest.

Then, the graffiti on the side, the guys moving the sign "shuttle crossing..."

And the photo of the shuttle by the gas station? PRICELESS!

>:D

Thank you, OP.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

That was my intention, and that's my presentation style when I do this for a meeting.

Keeps people paying attention, thinking, and participating. It's not as easy to pull off on a forum... It's either that or 20 posts. One or two is easier. :)

a2capt

Official Traffic Sign, Endeavor "Shuttle Xing", 36" x 36" .063" Aluminum, Reflective E.G.
Original Design by Traffic Management Inc., the official Traffic Management company responsible for Mission 26 of the STS Endeavor on October 12th and 13th 2012.

Want one? :)

They're all .063 aluminum, reflective. The real deal.

12" x 12" $33.00
18" x 18" $45.50
24" x 24" $55.00
30" x 30" $77.50
36" x 36" $105.00
48" x 48" $175.00

Traffic Management, Inc. <--

Luis R. Ramos

Do they come signed by all crews of that shuttle?

:angel:

(Tried orange, looks awful!)

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

That would be cool :) I plan on putting the thing on a wall with other space program stuff around it. I got the 36" one.  Might put up some thin shelves right across the front of it above and below the writing with some Shuttle and Saturn V models and other paraphernalia/artifacts. I've got a large room in the house with a used to be FAA certified flight sim, and high ceiling. Drop down movie screen, etc. One can sit in the flight sim chair and watch a movie, with popcorn on the glare shield :)

.. or fly the flight simulator on the screen, with the room dark it's pretty cool.

Private Investigator

a2capt

...and Endeavour was available for public display a couple weeks ago:

In the temporary exhibit space, at the California Science Center, Los Angeles.

The permanent building, to be constructed nearby will feature Endeavour in Launch Configuration, with 4 viewing platforms much like one was standing on the launch pad at various levels.

In the current display configuration, Endeavour is "floating" on a custom made platform that isolates the vehicle from the ground in the event of an earthquake, and it is positioned much like it would be when mated to the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, allowing people to view from all angles.

Even better than the Udvar-Hazy center where Enterprise was, and Discovery is now, that can only be viewed from the perimeter.

Also present in the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Display Pavilion is the SpaceHAB module, originally envisioned and developed as a space tourist module for travel on the Shuttle Transport System, developed by private enterprise, it ended up becoming a workshop and extended living quarters when installed on 18 Shuttle missions.

Atlantis will be setup in a position similar to while in orbit, leaning to the side at a 45 degree angle, with the cargo bay doors open, and a viewing platform will allow views looking downward, into the cargo bay.  Discovery and Enterprise are probably going to stay like they are now.

The only "shuttle" that the public will be able to see the inside of is the Shuttle Trainer that is now at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

As mentioned earlier, there really isn't much to see inside of these orbiters turned museum pieces now.