Main Menu

Lightning Safety Warning Methods

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 24, 2012, 03:20:17 AM

RADIOMAN015

Interestingly one of the local Golf courses in my area used to have a warning horn that would go off if a TStorm was approaching.  Apparently their lawyer advised them to take it down and basically leave it up to the golfers to determine if/when they needed to get off the course.  The concern from the lawyer was that depending upon wind conditions or even the golfers hearing abilities, IF they claimed they didn't hear it and got struck by lightning than the golf course might be liable.

The local air base is now giving warnings out (siren, Giant Voice speaker voice warning, & weather warning sent to all military computers on the base LAN) as to lightning within 10 miles, when the warning use to be lightning within 5 miles, so apparently now safety for some reason has instituted a bigger buffer before storm arrival.

RM

jeders

Do you know what sort of system they use? Is it some guy looking at a screen or staring out a window and then pressing a button when they see lightning, or is it a fully automated system?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

umpirecali

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 24, 2012, 03:20:17 AM
The concern from the lawyer was that depending upon wind conditions or even the golfers hearing abilities, IF they claimed they didn't hear it and got struck by lightning than the golf course might be liable.

I can't decide who I dislike more, lawyers or people who can't understand personal responsibility and sue people for dumb stuff like that.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

JeffDG

Quote from: umpirecali on September 24, 2012, 02:35:45 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 24, 2012, 03:20:17 AM
The concern from the lawyer was that depending upon wind conditions or even the golfers hearing abilities, IF they claimed they didn't hear it and got struck by lightning than the golf course might be liable.

I can't decide who I dislike more, lawyers or people who can't understand personal responsibility and sue people for dumb stuff like that.
Here...I'll make it easier for you...the people I hate the most are the lawyers who troll for people that cannot understand personal responsibility, enabling those maroons to sue people for dumb stuff like that.

Critical AOA

The bad thing is that once the sheeple, morons, etc.  are told that the sound of the alarm means that it is unsafe, they automatically assume that the inverse is true; that the absence of the alarm sounding means it is safe.  So when the alarm fails to sound and someone gets struck, well it is the fault of the folks who control the alarm.  And there will always be a lawyer and frequently a gullible jury around to help them get their "just compensation".   

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

Aw, this last summer at encampment, LRAFB, I was getting ready to leave when a severe thunderstorm hit right about dinner time. The base loudspeakers announced that lightning was reported within 5 miles, and the encampment commander told us to sit tight in the dining facility until we got the all clear. Finally, we were allowed to leave and return to the barracks, where another announcement was made. I was told not to leave until we got the all clear. I complied and returned to the lodge that I had recently vacated. I realized that there was a backdoor to the lodge (Camp Warlord is a series of brown single-story buildings with faulty A/C that houses between 8 and 12 people each) and I could escape if I wanted to. Integrity won out and after the storm had passed, but before the all-clear, I went back to the encampment office and the commander said "I didn't see you leave. Get on out of here."
Point is, yeah, I believed it was a silly thing, but I see the reason for it, and stayed even though I didn't want to. Integrity won.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Stonewall

Interestingly, last Thursday I had to respond to an employee struck by lightening. He survived but is pretty messed up.
Serving since 1987.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 25, 2012, 12:53:39 AM
http://www.wfsb.com/story/19582003/golf-course-pays-fine-after-lighting-strike
Well employers do have the responsibility to protect their employees from severe weather.  Likely this is under the general duty protection clause in the OSHA regulations, thus the fine. 
RM 

rustyjeeper

I work for a golf course and when we got a new irrigation system a lightning detection and warning system was included with the irrigation system.
The thing was installed and within two months taken down under advice of legal consul.

and.....
I work for the governmentt- this is a town owned and operated golf course in RM's home state :o

a2capt

The lighting detector industry should lobby the gov't., lawyers, etc. and say that they are putting people out of work.

OR people will be back to jumping at every car backfire. ;)