David Clark Headset model H10-40?

Started by AngelWings, August 23, 2012, 06:08:39 AM

AngelWings

I have two pairs of David Clark model H10-40 headsets. They were given to me by a pilot who had them kicking around and didn't need them anymore a while back. Does anyone know anything about them? Could I use them in a CAP aircraft (I wouldn't see why not, but sometimes common sense does go out the window)

a2capt

Some people do strange stuff to things .. but as long as they still have GA plugs on them. (two phono plugs), the odds are real good that they will work.

Of course, if they're well used, the wire has met the door or seat rail, been yanked on when removed, etc. ..

If someone has a portable intercom, try it with that for simplicity. You should be able to hear yourself when you speak into it. Otherwise.. take 'em to the airport with you when you get a chance.. 

bosshawk

David Clark makes fine headsets.  I am not familiar with the 10-40, but they should be great in any CAP airplane, as long as they are not helicopter headsets.  David Clark makes most of the headsets used by the various military services.

I personally have a Bose noise-cancelling headset and wouldn't get in an airplane without it.  That doesn't take anything away from the Clark ones.  My wife, who is also a pilot, has a David Clark: she got it prior to our meeting.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

AngelWings

I'll be sure to check them out. I am hoping they work so I can start working on my PPL. Last thing I want to do is be ready to fly and not have a headphone set.

The two prongs look like weird, not like the regular prongs I am used to on any regular earbuds.

sparks

I had several David Clark headsets for 30 years. I've sent them to the factory for updates, fix wiring and earcups with minimal expense ($60
Considering the replacement cost of several hundred dollars it is a bargain. Assuming the audio and microphone jacks/plugs are OK you have excellent headsets free.

I traded mine in on noise cancelling Lightspeed headsets. They aren't free and cost a lot more than passive headsets. I too wouldn't leave home without it.

Good Luck

Cliff_Chambliss

David Clark has supplied many headsets to the military forces over the years and these look identical to civilian units.  That is the problem, for military radios (and the headsets) have different impedence values than civilian radios.  Not so sure what effect the ear pieces would have, but using a military mic on a civilian radio could cause damage to the radio.  (Military to civilian impedence converters cost about $100.00*).
  Suggestion, take the headset to an shop and have them test the impedence values and if they are civil specs, verify the pugs are correct, and then go fly. 
  The H10-40 has been discontinued but replacement parts are still available from David Clark  (www.davidclark.com).

*If your units are military and you need a converter and you decide that's the way you are going to go, make sure you get an impedence converter and not just a plug converter.

If your units are civilian and you just need to replace the plugs, you can find both the mic plug and the earcup plugs in the WAG Aero Catalog for very reasonable costs.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

AngelWings

Is there a quality difference between the military and civilian sets? I've seen low impedence headsets used by a few ANG guys. Also, is there any updates I should look into?

Critical AOA

They are worthless for CAP and GA.  Please send them to me and I will properly dispose of them.   >:D

or....

They are pretty decent headsets and should suit your needs fine.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 23, 2012, 05:45:01 PM
They are worthless for CAP and GA.  Please send them to me and I will properly dispose of them.   >:D

or....

They are pretty decent headsets and should suit your needs fine.
I'm a young business man, something could be worked out  >:D >:D >:D

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: AngelWings on August 23, 2012, 05:29:27 PM
Is there a quality difference between the military and civilian sets? I've seen low impedence headsets used by a few ANG guys. Also, is there any updates I should look into?

No difference in quality, David Clark makes really good stuff and even if discontinued, they will always go that extra mile to help the owner of their product.  The difference is in the radios used by military v civilians.   Even if they are military units, you can get the impedence adapter new ear cushions and covers and still come out many dollars ahead of buying an equivalent unit.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

AngelWings

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on August 23, 2012, 08:15:09 PM

No difference in quality, David Clark makes really good stuff and even if discontinued, they will always go that extra mile to help the owner of their product.  The difference is in the radios used by military v civilians.   Even if they are military units, you can get the impedence adapter new ear cushions and covers and still come out many dollars ahead of buying an equivalent unit.
It's a GA headset. That's good I can update them. They're comfortable already, but it doesn't hurt to make them even better! I'm looking to get an adapter piece so I can use them with my computer. I think they might even get me on board a CAP plane for a "comms test" ride, too  ;)

a2capt

I've got intercoms that I've then taken the output from and run it into the computer to capture the audio using this setup, and the headsets plug into the intercom.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1985

AngelWings

Quote from: a2capt on August 23, 2012, 09:13:12 PM
I've got intercoms that I've then taken the output from and run it into the computer to capture the audio using this setup, and the headsets plug into the intercom.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1985
Woah, that looks confusing! Looks like I need to work on my tech skills!

a2capt

Easy-peasy. :) In about an hour you have a nice looking adapter.

PHall

Depends on the military aircraft you're talking about.

Most military aircraft (C-130's, C-5's, KC-135's) have high impedence interphone systems.
But some aircraft (KC-10's and C-17's) have a low impedence system.

The one common thing is that they use ONE plug and not TWO like GA aircraft use.

AngelWings

Would $140 be a fair price to purchase one of these headsets?

Critical AOA

That would be a decent price if they are in good working order with no defects.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

And places like Oregon Aero make some really good replacement ear pads, cushions and other stuff for David Clarks.
www.oregonaero.com