Main Menu

Glider Pilots

Started by desert rat, February 19, 2007, 03:51:19 AM

desert rat

Are there any glider pilots here?   I am thinking to become one, but want to know if there will be much of any opportunity for a person to use the glider training in CAP.    Once you recieve the glider pilot license, how long will it be before you could start giving orientation flights and how would you do it if there are no CAP glider planes in your area?

Al Sayre

See CAPR 60-1.  Generally, there are no real "Glider Missions" in CAP beyond Orientation flights for Cadets.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

I didn't look up 60-1, but as I remember you need at least 100 flights in a glider before you can be an O-flight glider pilot.

But... do NOT let that dissuade you from learning to fly gliders. 

First of all, gliders are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  The idea that one can gain altitude without applying power is so foreign to ASEL pilots as to place you in a position similar to that occupied by Merlin in the Court of King Arthur.

Second, the challenge of flying sailplanes is something that will make you a better pilot should you decide to start flying gas-and-oil-burners.

Third, even though you can't give O-flights, you can be an asset in AE, prepare cadets for O-rides with instruction, train cadets in ground crew duties and signals, and teach them air navigation, pre-flight procedures, airport traffic patterns, etc. 

Also, NOBODY understands weather and air movement better than the sailplane pilot.  We have a term for the sailplane pilot who does not understand the movement of heated air:  "Pedestrian."

Good luck.  When I want to go somewhere, I fly the single-engine.  When I want to go up in the sky and have fun, I fly a glider.

Another former CAP officer

desert rat

Thanks, I have heard before that you can actually use the CAP gliders to log in hours for qualifications.  Is that true?   Can you do about 5 or more flights a day if they are short flights?

JohnKachenmeister

Yes.  Gliders are he one type of aircraft that Officers can use for primary flight instruction.

You CAN get 5 short flights a day, sure.  But why would you want to?

Your first few flights will be to 3000 or 4000 feet.  This is to give you time to learn the aero tow technique, (Imagine flying a powered airplane, but your engine is on a string 200 feet out ahead of you).  This will also give you time to learn "Airwork," or turns, stalls, descents, etc.

The rest of your flights will be to either 2000 feet to learn thermalling and soaring, followed (hopefully) by a landing at the airport; or 1000 feet just to practice the landing technique.

Your check ride will be two flights.  One to 3000 feet, box the wake on the way up and demonstrate airwork after release.  The second will be to 1000 feet, with the check pilot watching from the ground as you land.  By the time you get the glider back to the start point after your landing roll, your Temporary Airman Certificate will be just about typed out.

You are not going to learn anything new by shooting pattern tows to try to get to 100 flights.  Take 2000 foot tows, learn to soar, and have some fun flying.  You will like it a lot more.

flyguy06

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 19, 2007, 01:23:13 PM
See CAPR 60-1.  Generally, there are no real "Glider Missions" in CAP beyond Orientation flights for Cadets.

Glider orientation flights are a "real" mission. You say it like it isnt.

Again, just because its not related to ES doesnt make it any less important.

Al Sayre

That's not what I meant.  His original question asked about how much opportunity to use it in CAP.  There's only one "use" that I'm aware of, and that is Cadet Orientation Flights, which, depending on your location and the Wing's Cadet Programs, could be very limited or non-existant.  For example, in MS our glider was damaged in a hail storm and hasn't been repaired or replaced yet.  No Glider = No Glider O' Flights = No Missions.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Chris Jacobs

I believe that you can by pass the 100 flight rule if you have your commercial ticket.  I knew a guy that had almost every power ratting under the sun and he came out for two long days and got his glider commercial ratting.  he went for the commercial so he could do O-Rides.

I love flying gliders.  i have my solo endorsement, and i was so close to privet when our glider got destroyed in a wind storm one night.  we have a new one so i guess i will make another run for it.  I think gliding will be something i will do for the rest of my life.

And glider o ride days are defiantly a lot of work.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

The advantage (As I watch the slow, steady approach of Social Security age) of gliders is that you do not need a medical certificate to fly them.

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 21, 2007, 02:05:28 AM
The advantage (As I watch the slow, steady approach of Social Security age) of gliders is that you do not need a medical certificate to fly them.

What does age have to do with it? My CFI just turned 71 years old and he flies two to three times a week

Chris Jacobs

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 22, 2007, 02:26:29 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 21, 2007, 02:05:28 AM

What does age have to do with it? My CFI just turned 71 years old and he flies two to three times a week

I am pretty sure my CFIG is older than that.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Al Sayre

You can also fly LSA's without a medical...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

OK, I know.  It isn't just old age.  I have lived a bad, dissolute lifestyle, and if I had engaged in clean living I'd be healthier now.

But who wants to die healthy?

desert rat

I am so dissapointed.  Today I was supposed to start my glider lessons.  The weather is so bad with heavy winds and cold that they had to scrub the training.  I plan n doing about 8 hours a day twice a week.  It looks like alot of fun if I can ever get it started.

SJFedor

Gliders scare me. Nothin turnin or burnin in front, behind, or beside me  >:(

Nah, they're lots of fun. I did a few o-flights as a cadet in them, enjoyed them, learned a few things I later applied. Gliders are on my list, although it's after my comm, CFI, CFII, multi, MEI, MEII, and (god willing) helicopter.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Flying Pig

I have my helicopter, glider and fixed wing ratings.  For pure relaxation you cant beat a sailplane.  Aerobatics are awesome in a sailplane.

You just have to remember that every landing in a glider is an emergency landing!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 21, 2007, 11:19:41 PM
I have my helicopter, glider and fixed wing ratings.  For pure relaxation you cant beat a sailplane.  Aerobatics are awesome in a sailplane.

You just have to remember that every landing in a glider is an emergency landing!

Conversely, to a glider pilot, any emergency landing in a powered airplane is just another glider landing.

Flying Pig

Hmmmmmm, thats deep.  Almost poetic  :D

SAR-EMT1

While the idiom is perfectly true me fears the possibility of landing off the Airport grounds... and the fallout that would result.  - HAs anyone done a landing away from a runway? - glider or power

I heard once that 'Ike' built the interstates  in certain areas as emergency strips for the old C119 and 141s In the Event of War - anyone care to confirm that?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Flying Pig

I havn't, but I know a few glider pilots who have made off site landings.  No big deal as long as you dont damage the bird.  As far as a glider, just haul out the trailer, take it apart, and your on your way. 
As far as power, if you made an off-site landing it would be because of some greater emergency.  As long as it wasn't pilot induced, ie. loss of fuel, the owner would probably just be happy you got it on the ground and that the airplane you rented from them didnt kill you!

I have heard that same thing about some of the interstates. Never seen anything official, although driving in some areas I'd say its definitely possible.