non-glider-pilot SM or age-18+ cadet riding in CAP gliders

Started by gknauth, June 28, 2012, 08:33:04 PM

gknauth

Can a non-glider-pilot senior member go for a glider ride in a CAP glider?  If so, does the accompanying glider PIC have to be a CFIG, or commercially rated, or does the PIC just have to be have be CAPF5 rated in gliders, or is the whole thing just not possible (any more)?  I have senior members who are interested in glider flights, and they're willing to pay the cost of the glider and tow.  I've seen conflicting information on the web.  It seems that some Wings do this, but I've also heard that regulations may have changed.  Where can I find the definitive answer?  Do seniors only ride in gliders if they already have some pilot rating and are pursuing an add-on glider rating or exercising a glider rating?

Similarly, I also have cadets who have passed the age of 18, who are interested in glider rides, and I'm wondering if that is possible.
Geoffrey Knauth, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

I think the consensus a while back is that senior members can even take primary instruction in gliders...
I haven't looked at the actual wording of the rules lately though

lordmonar

That is my understanding.

Quote from: 60-12-8. Pilot Training.
a. CAP cadets and qualified SAR/DR mission pilots are authorized to use CAP airplanes for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.
b. All CAP members are authorized to use CAP gliders for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP