Main Menu

Ranger Headgear

Started by ranger_freak, June 18, 2012, 06:46:47 PM

EMT-83

It's not the water, it's the Kool Aid.

Seriously, Hawk participants are really gung ho about the program, and they're pretty vocal about it.

My personal opinion, take away the attitude and the bling BS; it would be an excellent program.

PHall

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2012, 06:43:31 PM
It's not the water, it's the Kool Aid.

Seriously, Hawk participants are really gung ho about the program, and they're pretty vocal about it.

My personal opinion, take away the attitude and the bling BS; it would be an excellent program.

Getting you some actual ES ratings would be nice too. ::)

Spartan

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2012, 06:43:31 PM

I think that the tab should be enough.  When a person adds all the bling, they detract from a professional appearance that is often mistaken for part of the military.  If people want to wear ALL the bling and in my opinion look silly, I think they can do so on the mountain where their bling has meaning.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: BGNightfall on June 19, 2012, 04:50:23 PM
For the OP:

If an orange beret is something that you think would improve the Ranger program, then I suggest that you write a paper on what need it fills and how it would benefit the program.  Do some solid research on this, to include viability, and address the negative factors as well (some of which have been voiced on this thread).  Use proper, concise language, and organize your argument into clear bullet points.  Have it proofread by an older cadet, or a Senior Member for spelling or grammar errors.  Once your well-reasoned report is complete, submit it to your chain of command.  The answer may be "No.", or no answer at all.

+1 - Excellent suggestion.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: BGNightfall on June 19, 2012, 04:31:39 PM
Ranger Thread Checklist:

Commentary to deride Ranger Bling: check, and check
Commentary to deride "useless" Ranger task qualification: check
sarmed1 defends Ranger task qualification: check
Direct to search function to seek other, closed Ranger threads: check
Comment/Image on pummeling of deceased equine:
Comparison to NESA:
Comparison to NBB: Check
Call for thread lock:

Bonus Points:
Thread post in wrong location, relocated: +10
OP replies with new username to defend position: +20

You left out several varieties of knee-jerk reactions from the usual suspects...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Well, is the horse dead, or not?

Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dad2-4

Nah. Hit it a few more times to make sure. This is entertaining.  ;)

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I don't care how many times you've been to HMRS, you are not the elites that you may think you are.

Go to Lackland and tell your TI how "elite" you are because you've been to HMRS, and see how fast you end up with every crap detail s/he can find for you (and they're quite creative on that front) and how quickly you lose the respect of your flight mates.

You don't need an orange beret, but a dose of humility wouldn't be amiss.

You are still a cadet, and subject to command, management, advisement and (if need be) discipline by senior member officers and NCO's pursuant to all applicable CAP regulations.

And there is no way under the sun you are going to get the Air Force to approve wearing an orange beret with the AF uniform.

The orange beret is a mark of distinction in many air forces' SAR ops, as with this RCAF Corporal:

I am in favour of CAP having an optional beret, but I would want to take care that it isn't stepping on a truly elite military unit's turf.

That said...

TICK, TICK, TICK...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

fyrfitrmedic

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA

MSG Mac

Quote from: ranger_freak on June 18, 2012, 06:46:47 PM
I propose that CAP Members Ranger 1st Class and higher should be awarded a Orange Beret, with a Hawk Mountain Logo for the emblem pin...who here agrees with me.

NO,! NADA! NYET! NON! NEIN!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ColonelJack

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 20, 2012, 12:33:46 AM
I propose that CAP Members Ranger 1st Class and higher should be awarded a Orange Beret, with a Hawk Mountain Logo for the emblem pin...who here agrees with me.

NO,! NADA! NYET! NON! NEIN!

Don't mince words ... what do you really think?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

sarmed1

another peice of useless uniform item is the last thing HMRS (or CAP for that fact) needs.
Lets see:
Orange hats....um its encouraged to wear hardhats in the field so the visability argument is no good
Ascots:  OK the instant visual identification idea sounds good; however everyone takes them off as soon as it gets hot anyway
Whistle & chain:  maybe
Pistol belt:  useless (unless there is 24 hour gear attached to it)
Ladder laced jump boots:  thankfully I havent seen this one since the 90's

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

MSG Mac

The definition of "uniform" means that everything is basically the same. You did earn something at Hawk Mountain- a ground team badge! You are not the first (nor the thousandth) to suggest a beret be added to CAP's uniform. So far, none of these suggestions have been approved at the Wing, Region, or National level. The one exception is the Blue Beret NCSA,which can only be worn at the activity.
Bottom line is berets are expensive, give no protection from the sun or rain, and CAP already has a plethora of approved headwear.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 20, 2012, 02:23:55 AM
The one exception is the Blue Beret NCSA,which can only be worn at the activity.
Negative sir, see: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

Quotej. Blue Beret awarded at National Cadet Special Activity.  The standard AF blue beret
with the Blue Beret activity hat device may be worn with the BDU uniform after the completion
of the activity.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 20, 2012, 02:40:00 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on June 20, 2012, 02:23:55 AM
The one exception is the Blue Beret NCSA,which can only be worn at the activity.
Negative sir, see: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

Quotej. Blue Beret awarded at National Cadet Special Activity.  The standard AF blue beret
with the Blue Beret activity hat device may be worn with the BDU uniform after the completion
of the activity.

That is a relatively recent change. Through most of the life of the blue beret, it was permitted only at the activity.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quoteit was permitted only at the activity.
FLWG has a supplement that authorized the blue beret.

Never use absolutes, sir.

See: http://flwg.us/cap-resources/publications/supplements/page19654950.aspx
QuoteLine 4, Added: As authorized by National Board amendment to CAPM 39-1 in March 2006, The blue
beret will be worn only by members who have completed the National Blue Beret Encampment at
Oshkosh and have proper documentation to support such attendance. The Beret may be worn with
either the green BDU's or blue utility uniform but is not authorized with any combination of blue Air
Force style service uniform. Wear of the beret is PROHIBITED when on a military installation within
FLWG.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Майор Хаткевич

And INWG authorizes Blue Beret's with grade on them for some sort of criteria. The point is that for the majority of CAP and time, berets weren't seen outside of wrongdoers, NBB, and INWG.

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 20, 2012, 02:51:00 AM
Quoteit was permitted only at the activity.
FLWG has a supplement that authorized the blue beret.

Never use absolutes, sir.

See: http://flwg.us/cap-resources/publications/supplements/page19654950.aspx
QuoteLine 4, Added: As authorized by National Board amendment to CAPM 39-1 in March 2006, The blue
beret will be worn only by members who have completed the National Blue Beret Encampment at
Oshkosh and have proper documentation to support such attendance. The Beret may be worn with
either the green BDU's or blue utility uniform but is not authorized with any combination of blue Air
Force style service uniform. Wear of the beret is PROHIBITED when on a military installation within
FLWG.

You should follow your own advice.

Did you read my post? I don't recall using an absolute. I said, "Through most of the life of the blue beret, it was permitted only at the activity." The 'most' part is debatable, but I think, accepting 2006 as the first general authorization, 40 out of 46 years not being authorized outside the activity constitutes 'most' in my book.

If you are trolling, or arguing for argument's sake, you can stop right now. If you have something new, or constructive, to say, go for it, but stop the baiting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Ah yes! We have made the jump to the blue beret...I wondered how long it would take.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC