Re The wear of Berets and Cords

Started by kcbrent, May 30, 2012, 08:57:51 PM

kcbrent

It has been mentioned to me by cadets that CAP does not allow the wear of distinct Cords and Berets, and that Color Guard members can only wear a white cord.

My main questions re this are:

1) is this true?

2) what are the regs on this?

I would like to gather some research on this. whereas I know the blue berets are reserved, I guess I don't quite understand why berets for specific uses such as honor guard members would not be allowed? It is not uncommon outside of CAP, fact uncommon enough that my first responce was " who told you that?", when suggesting different cords and berets.

Also, is it true Color Guard members can only wear white cords and no  other colors such as AF blue or black etc.?

I guess I am just wanting to find someone who knows 100%  re this matter, or could point me right to the regs?

Thank you

That Anonymous Guy

Color Guard wears only white cords. Other staff positions can wear other cords

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Al Sayre

The answer you seek is in CAPM 39-1 Table 1-3 http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M39_1_cover_thru_chap_1.pdf

QuoteThe wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for
wear within his/her wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder
cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see
Figure 5-2). Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all
primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National
level, blue at region level, and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP
Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear
white shoulder cords. Honor Guardsmen will wear silver shoulder cords; (b)
scarves; (c) white gloves; (d) white and black belts; (e) helmet liners. Color to
be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for
wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white
and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Unit NCC color guards wear white cords while part of the team.

Honor Guard Academy grads wear silver.

CAC Primary Reps wear the following:

group - green, wing - red, region - blue, Nat - gold

Any other cords have to be approved by the wings CC through an approved supplement to 39-1.

Berets may be worn by grads of NBB with field uniforms only (blue or camo), unless specified in an approved supplement to 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

In regards to the berets, this is true. The only color authorized is the dark blue offered by Vanguard, and may only be worn after completion of National Blue Beret(With appropriate device) or at the authorization of the wing king. If a unit wants to wear a beret as their "Unit ballcap," this would not be acceptable.

With cords, that's a different matter. The white cord is for Color Guards and whatnot(CAPM39-1 says NCC wing winners only, but 52-16 states that squadron color guards may wear it. My unit follows the latter). There is a huge flame war regarding that aspect, so be aware. The silver cord is only for unit Honor Guards(At the discretion of the unit commander) and those who have graduated from National Honor Guard Academy. Other than that, there are Kelly Green, Scarlet, Ultramarine blue(If I'm not correct) and non-metallic gold cords that are for group-level, wing-level, region-level, and national Cadet advisory councils, respectively. Also, numerous colors/styles of cords may be authorized by the wing king for different purposes. If your squadron uses a cord to denote a staff position, that is one example. Florida has the Honor Cadet thing(No clue what it is  :P ) that's of the same idea. Squadron position cords shouldn't be worn outside of the squadron, and wing cords(Florida, for example) shouldn't be worn outside of the wing.

This is all found in 39-1 and 52-16

EDIT:
Cadets are the only ones allowed to wear cords. Senior Members are not allowed cords of any sort.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Flying Pig

Cords and Berets are lame.  When I was at NCC we didnt have cords.  I think they make your uniform look sloppy.

Abby.L

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 30, 2012, 09:31:19 PM
Cords and Berets are lame.  When I was at NCC we didnt have cords.  I think they make your uniform look sloppy.

If you pin your cords right, they look amazing.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Flying Pig

Ehhhhh.... Preachin' to the choir. Worn them in CAP, JROTC and in the Marines AND in the Army....didnt like any of them.  I liked what they represented, but not the cords themselves.

Abby.L

So I'm sure that you know firsthand on how to pin them right.  ;)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

Wow.....simply WOW.

Only two people have given the right answer.

While most people's answers have been partially correct.....it just points to the real uniform problem we have in CAP. 

Read the regulation.  It is right there in 39-1 and the ICL.....links provided in the 3rd Post.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Abby.L

Quote from: lordmonar on May 30, 2012, 10:16:09 PM
Wow.....simply WOW.

While most people's answers have been partially correct.....it just points to the real uniform problem we have in CAP. 

Read the regulation.  It is right there in 39-1 and the ICL.....links provided in the 3rd Post.

And who would those 2 people be, might I ask?  :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

Quote from: Levilockling on May 30, 2012, 10:20:50 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 30, 2012, 10:16:09 PM
Wow.....simply WOW.

And who would those 2 people be, might I ask?  :P
the ones who posted links and/or quoted the regulations. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 30, 2012, 10:31:30 PM

I don't see anything wrong in my post...

"That Others May Zoom"

kcbrent

So guess that answers the cord question.

Although should squadron be wearing white or silver? And by silver i'm sure hoping it means gray, because I've seen these cheap silver....christmas tree tibsel ones (shiney silver) and this looks too fake for my tastes. I'd rather have color guard than cheerleaders.

is  there no distinct beret for honor guard? Air force used to wear them but this was a few years ago, dont know what they wear now with ABUs.

Additionally:

Is there anything that says cadet color guards cannot wear the paratrooper type boots and perhaps go fancy with white laces? This always looked good before the AF implemented the new Honor Guard inform 10 -15 years ago.

kcbrent

Excuse the typos......typing from a mobile phone :)

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2012, 10:33:29 PM

I don't see anything with mine, either...

Quote from: kcbrent on May 30, 2012, 10:34:13 PM
So guess that answers the cord question.

Although should squadron be wearing white or silver? And by silver i'm sure hoping it means gray, because I've seen these cheap silver....christmas tree tibsel ones (shiney silver) and this looks too fake for my tastes. I'd rather have color guard than cheerleaders.

is  there no distinct beret for honor guard? Air force used to wear them but this was a few years ago, dont know what they wear now with ABUs.

Additionally:

Is there anything that says cadet color guards cannot wear the paratrooper type boots and perhaps go fancy with white laces? This always looked good before the AF implemented the new Honor Guard inform 10 -15 years ago.

If you mean for a staff position, in regards to silver or white cords? No. 39-1 states that only Honor Guards, Color Guards, and CAC reps may wear their respective cord. You have no idea how many times I've seen a gold cord on a little C/SSgt and gotten the "It's for a squadron position" excuse.

As far as the Honor Guard beret, no. There is a prescribed honor guard uniform in 39-1, and no where does it state that you may wear a beret.

With the white laces and boots, that will depend on your wing. There is an ICL in COWG from '03 that allows such a thing, but that's for us, may not be for you.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

they don't have to be authorised by suplement.  They only need to be authorised by wing or regional commander.  Hair splitting....I know....but there you go.

lordmonar

Quote from: Levilockling on May 30, 2012, 09:27:26 PM
In regards to the berets, this is true. The only color authorized is the dark blue offered by Vanguard, and may only be worn after completion of National Blue Beret(With appropriate device) or at the authorization of the wing king. If a unit wants to wear a beret as their "Unit ballcap," this would not be acceptable.

That is not the only source of the Blue Beret.

QuoteWith cords, that's a different matter. The white cord is for Color Guards and whatnot(CAPM39-1 says NCC wing winners only, but 52-16 states that squadron color guards may wear it. My unit follows the latter). There is a huge flame war regarding that aspect, so be aware. The silver cord is only for unit Honor Guards(At the discretion of the unit commander) and those who have graduated from National Honor Guard Academy. Other than that, there are Kelly Green, Scarlet, Ultramarine blue(If I'm not correct) and non-metallic gold cords that are for group-level, wing-level, region-level, and national Cadet advisory councils, respectively. Also, numerous colors/styles of cords may be authorized by the wing king for different purposes. If your squadron uses a cord to denote a staff position, that is one example. Florida has the Honor Cadet thing(No clue what it is  :P ) that's of the same idea. Squadron position cords shouldn't be worn outside of the squadron, and wing cords(Florida, for example) shouldn't be worn outside of the wing.

This is all found in 39-1 and 52-16

EDIT:
Cadets are the only ones allowed to wear cords. Senior Members are not allowed cords of any sort.
[/quote]
I highlighted the wrong portions of your post.

Major Lord

I guess you got points off for not citing the specific regulations......It seemed responsive enough to me, especially since this question has been addressed about 20,00 times in the last few years. I have always hated the term "cord" or "ropes". They are Aguillete or Fourragere

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."