Main Menu

Safety

Started by Nearly Dark Side, March 05, 2012, 02:25:24 PM

Nearly Dark Side

Anyone else notice that the safety briefings for the month are generally for weather from long ago? Like in the Summer we have safety briefings for the Winter and for snow?

Extremepredjudice

That is just your squadron.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Yep.

Safety briefings are supposed to be relevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2012, 03:26:51 PM
Yep.

I've been a member a little over a year now, and I haven't missed a single monthly safety meeting during that time, and have yet to see a relevant safety briefing. 

They use the national material from the safety beacon.  I've sat through briefings on "boiler" and heating oil safety, and how to position yourself in a basement in the event of a tornado.  This is Florida.  I don't know what the heck heating oil is, and until that meeting I thought the phrase "going to the basement" meant going below 100 feet while diving.  Don't get me started on driving in the snow.  How do you drive in the snow?  You don't.  Not here.  Move on!

davidsinn

Quote from: Woodsy on March 05, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
Yep.

I've been a member a little over a year now, and I haven't missed a single monthly safety meeting during that time, and have yet to see a relevant safety briefing. 

They use the national material from the safety beacon.  I've sat through briefings on "boiler" and heating oil safety, and how to position yourself in a basement in the event of a tornado.  This is Florida.  I don't know what the heck heating oil is, and until that meeting I thought the phrase "going to the basement" meant going below 100 feet while diving.  Don't get me started on driving in the snow.  How do you drive in the snow?  You don't.  Not here.  Move on!

Your safety officer is lazy. He should be coming up with lightning safety, hurricane, riptides, heat injuries and so forth.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

BTDT.

My first 18 months or so were spent in a unit composed of "pilots" and everyone else.

Many of the meetings included extensive use of videos from Shorty's about icing, which is a non issue in CAP.

The only way to fix it is suggest topics or move on.  I did the latter and that's when things started happening in CAP for me.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2012, 04:03:14 PM
BTDT.

My first 18 months or so were spent in a unit composed of "pilots" and everyone else.

Many of the meetings included extensive use of videos from Shorty's about icing, which is a non issue in CAP.

The only way to fix it is suggest topics or move on.  I did the latter and that's when things started happening in CAP for me.

Last time I "suggested" something, I found myself as the project officer!  hahaha!

Eclipse

That's the risk of minimum competency.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Basements in Florida are not relevant. Tornadoes are. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but the NE part gets a lot of them every year. I used to live in Jacksonville.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Quote from: SarDragon on March 05, 2012, 07:05:34 PM
Basements in Florida are not relevant. Tornadoes are. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but the NE part gets a lot of them every year. I used to live in Jacksonville.

Agreed. That's why the safety briefing should have said something other than "get in the basement!"  lol.  We just got a new safety officer, and I think he will come up with some good stuff, rather than just reading the safety beacon to us. 

I'm in Jacksonville also.

av8tr1

What do you mean this is a non issue in CAP?  You can get icing all the way down in Miami.  You can get icing on a 70 degree day.  So how is this a non issue in CAP?  AFAIK we don't have any aircraft that are icing certified so, for the pilots at least, knowing how to avoid or get out of an icing situation is very important issue for CAP "pilots".

JeffDG

Quote from: av8tr1 on March 05, 2012, 09:08:04 PM

What do you mean this is a non issue in CAP?  You can get icing all the way down in Miami.  You can get icing on a 70 degree day.  So how is this a non issue in CAP?  AFAIK we don't have any aircraft that are icing certified so, for the pilots at least, knowing how to avoid or get out of an icing situation is very important issue for CAP "pilots".
I was wondering the same thing...I was wondering if we'd made our 182s certified for FIKI over the weekend or something.

Eclipse

Quote from: av8tr1 on March 05, 2012, 09:08:04 PM

Icing?  Yes.  At a level that requires a deicing system on the aircraft?  No.  At least in my wing and region, weather like that equals grounded airplanes.  I've never seen a CAP aircraft South of AKWG with deicing boots, so repeatedly watching videos about the proper operation and use of them isn't going to be of much value to CAP pilots. 

Boot De-Icing in severe icing conditions

Then there's the fact that at least 1/2 the people in the room were not pilots (CAP or otherwise).

Also, to quote the CAP AIF ORM form "Icing - Even the possibility of light icing in the forecast is a no-go"
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/14_AIF_ORM_28_Mar_11_9496716274D7D.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

av8tr1

I was only responding to the comment that "icing in CAP is a non issue" I started my flying career in Florida and was exposed to icing regularly at the levels that CAP flies.  The rest I agree is a lazy safety officer.  He/she could be a pilot who thinks that everyone in CAP is interested in flying which we all know isn't true.  A communication with the safety officer is probably in order about the concern. 

Short Field

Yep.  Safety briefings are supposed to be relevant.
That really scares me!!!  I visited another squadron recently.   Their safety officer stated the safety briefing would cover STDs, alcohol abuse, and attitude problems.  Thank God it took 20 minutes (no visual aids - just BSing war stories) to beat the alcohol abuse issue to death (i.e. don't release drunk members for missions and don't drink so much you can't drive after the meetings) so they didn't get into the STDs.  Really made me wonder what kind of problems this squadron was having that generated these topics!!!   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Short Field on March 06, 2012, 06:12:44 AM
Yep.  Safety briefings are supposed to be relevant.
That really scares me!!!  I visited another squadron recently.   Their safety officer stated the safety briefing would cover STDs, alcohol abuse, and attitude problems.  Thank God it took 20 minutes (no visual aids - just BSing war stories) to beat the alcohol abuse issue to death (i.e. don't release drunk members for missions and don't drink so much you can't drive after the meetings) so they didn't get into the STDs.  Really made me wonder what kind of problems this squadron was having that generated these topics!!!
At least you didn't have to sit through a cadet's fire escapades.

If lighter fluid is poured on wood, in a barrel, don't cover it with cardboard then lift said cardboard off towards yourself.

Briefing before that was (same cadet, plus our 1st shirt and another cadet) pouring lighter fluid on a bunch of old x-mas trees.

Makes me wonder where the parents are...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Angus

Quote from: davidsinn on March 05, 2012, 03:54:58 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on March 05, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
Yep.

Your safety officer is lazy. He should be coming up with lightning safety, hurricane, riptides, heat injuries and so forth.

As a former safety officer I have to agree.  I'm up in the North East and there were some that I didn't feel were relevant so I ditched them.  However I did cover Hurricanes and lightining once a year.  It's been awhile since we had a good Hurricane up here and we're due for one. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Short Field

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 06, 2012, 07:47:10 AM
If lighter fluid is poured on wood, in a barrel, don't cover it with cardboard then lift said cardboard off towards yourself.
Briefing before that was (same cadet, plus our 1st shirt and another cadet) pouring lighter fluid on a bunch of old x-mas trees.
Makes me wonder where the Safety Officer and Commander are...  There is a reason cadet activities require adult supervision.
Wilson #2640

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Short Field on March 07, 2012, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 06, 2012, 07:47:10 AM
Makes me wonder where the Safety Officer and Commander are...  There is a reason cadet activities require adult supervision.
Safety Officer asks said cadet. Then goes through ORM of what the cadet did...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Short Field

ORM is not after the fact!
Wilson #2640

Spaceman3750

Ugh. Where's that NESA video on how to safely enter and exit a CAP vehicle when I want it.... Maj Bos?