1st Sergeant Diamond

Started by Huey Driver, February 13, 2012, 03:17:20 AM

Huey Driver

Quick question. Can you just put a 1st Sergeant Diamond above whatever enlisted rank you want? I was at a wing level event and a bunch of us were questioning a C/SrA about it.

Couldn't find it quickly in the regs so I thought I'd ask here.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

If it were allowed (not my opinion, just a hypothetical situation), how would you even go about doing it? I've never seen "First Sergeant Diamond" (just the diamond) for sale on Vanguard...  ::)
No longer active on CAP talk

ßτε

Quote from: titanII on February 13, 2012, 03:35:44 AM
If it were allowed (not my opinion, just a hypothetical situation), how would you even go about doing it? I've never seen "First Sergeant Diamond" (just the diamond) for sale on Vanguard...  ::)
I guess you didn't look very hard.
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-cadet-grade-insignia-first-sergeant-chevron-p-7020.html

Abby.L

Oh boy... You may have just opened up a firestorm...
Okay, so, the lozenge, by itself, DOES exist. It really should be used for sergeants only, in case there are no senior NCOs in a squadron. That use, in itself, is fine. But, transferring it to a Sra is very similar to putting a MSgt as squadron commander: Just wrong.

But, this is just me. And here's a link for the separate diamond. http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-cadet-grade-insignia-first-sergeant-chevron-p-7020.html

Darnit! I been beaten. :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ßτε

Assuming First Sergeant insignia is authorized, it shouldn't be worn to wing activities.

Abby.L

Quote from: ß τ ε on February 13, 2012, 03:52:54 AM
Assuming First Sergeant insignia is authorized, it shouldn't be worn to wing activities.
It shouldn't, I do agree. But sometimes, it is all the cadet has. As for the Sra who had it, he/she could take the diamond off, as it is a separate entity entirely. For a MSgt though, I wouldn't buy 2 pairs of insignia.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: ß τ ε on February 13, 2012, 03:52:54 AM
Depends on the activity.

At competitions you always see people wearing them
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Huey Driver

Okay, thanks. Just checking. It looked pretty bad just loosely pinned right above his chevrons. We'll be sure to suggest that he's going to keep wearing them, to only have them on at the squadron and not to a Wing activity again. He is the highest ranking cadet in his squadron though (for at least enlisted).

Quote from: Levilockling on February 13, 2012, 03:51:50 AM
But, transferring it to a Sra is very similar to putting a MSgt as squadron commander: Just wrong.

On a personal note, my squadron did have a 2 year member SrA who was commanding the cadets...  :-\

Edit: @Extremepredjudice ... really?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Extremepredjudice

He should be a flight sergeant, not 1st sgt.

Edit:
Jersey, I saw the painted diamond at competitions and the other diamond at an airshow.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Noble Six

This diamond was never intended for cap use.  It was created by Glendale or the paradestore back before vanguard sold cap items. They tried marketing it to cap/afjrotc.  Then when vanguard sent out C&D letter the paradestore stopped selling them and vanguard picked them up because well they can.  I have never seen one before in person.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

a2capt

Wait, what, really?

A C&D for a blue framed diamond? That doesn't even say CAP on it at all? Come on.

Noble Six

No the actual C&D was for everything else cap.  They carried everything.  But since the diamond was also under the cap section on paradestore website it was included.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

Hawk200

Quote from: Noble Six on February 13, 2012, 04:45:58 AM
This diamond was never intended for cap use.  It was created by Glendale or the paradestore back before vanguard sold cap items. They tried marketing it to cap/afjrotc.  Then when vanguard sent out C&D letter the paradestore stopped selling them and vanguard picked them up because well they can.  I have never seen one before in person.
The add-on diamond was used for Air Force First Sergeants back when the Master Sergeant ranks had six stripes down. There was a pin-on version for the small metal pin-on stripes, and a cloth version for the sleeve stripes.

People keep buying it, so Vanguard keeps making and selling it. It wasn't created for CAP, but it keeps getting used.

lordmonar

There is so much that is wrong here I don't know where to start.

1)  Commanders are the ones who appoint people to positions.  C/MSgt as commanders C/SrA as First Sergeants.  Now we can argue all day long about is it approprate and the somantics of titles et al.  Bottom line it is up the commander.
2)  You don't take off insignia just because you are at a wing function.  NEVER EVER. 
3)  The First Segeant diamon is still autorised as per KB.  Yes it is not in 39-1 but there is a lot thing that are not in 39-1...let's all accept that 39-1 sucks and move on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

First Sergeanr is a position, not a grade. The Commander can name people to any irrregardless of grade. At one pointThe the Air Force consdered the First Sergeant as a careerfield (AFSC, MOS) beginning at SSG. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

titanII

Quote from: ß τ ε on February 13, 2012, 03:51:42 AM
I guess you didn't look very hard.
Well I haven't actually looked for it. I just haven't "happened upon it" before. My fault for not specifying.
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

1st Sgt is a special duty in the AF for MSgt thru CMSgt.  It is an 8F000.

Dad2-4

Quote from: lordmonar on February 13, 2012, 07:32:45 PM
3)  The First Segeant diamon is still autorised as per KB...
Please forgive my accronym ignorance. What's "KB".

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 13, 2012, 09:10:23 PM
...The Commander can name people to any irrregardless regardless of grade.
No offense intended, but I'm a school teacher and that one really bugs me.